Stupid rear tire !@#$%%$#

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Q

Reaction score
Well I got my first set of PR2s a while back and in the first 20 miles on the first stupid ride I got a nail in my rear tire. Since then I have been fighting to get it to quit leaking air. Plugged it several times with glue (I worked at a tire shop in a previous life so I have plugged hundreds if not thousands of stupid tires). Tire has ride-on sealant in it. I have not yet checked to see if it is the valve stem leaking or the plug again but I suspect the plug is leaking (will check tomorrow). But I am very annoyed...GRRRRRRR

Guess I will be getting a new tire cause I dont need this kind of crap. 3000 miles is a bit less than I expected to get out of this tire...

I'd dismount it, scrub out the evil crap from around the wound including some solvent, patch it from the inside, and reuse it personally....and never use on future tires.

Well I used ride on cause it is supposed to be water soluable and clean up easy. May find out how true that is I guess..never used slime and never will...

I'd dismount it, scrub out the evil crap from around the wound including some solvent, patch it from the inside, and reuse it personally....and never use on future tires.

Wise words from a loveable :wub: jack-ass.

Well I used ride on cause it is supposed to be water soluable and clean up easy. May find out how true that is I guess..never used slime and never will...

Hee hee. Have fun!

Ride-On? NEVER AGAIN!

Clicky HERE for, 'The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly'

Ride on has only been in there two days and I have not actually ridden anywhere just ran it on the centerstand. We'll see.. not too worried about it. I have cleaned this mess before. Was hoping it would save the day...

I usually pull the tire and apply a standard vulcanizing patch. I had a nail in a new tire a year or two back. I patched it and ran the tire to it's natural life expectancy (5K for me) with no air loss...a plug will get me home, but I don't like to trust half of my tires to them...I have patched many automobile tires with zero failures, only patched two m/c tires with same results...

Last edited by a moderator:
(6) Inside/Out Patch/Plugs, Thumb Buffer, & .50 fl. oz. Tube of Rubber Cement for tubeless tires

For use with:

● Deluxe Tube & Tubeless Motorcycle Tire Repair Kit

Model # 3002

Price $11.95

I got these from StopNGo sometime back just in case of needing to try to save a fairly new tire if punctured. I've not used them but just a thought.

doctorj

With an inside patch you'll be more than fine. As good as new.

Hell, I have ridden rears thousands of miles to the cords with only sticky string plugs in the puncture.

Definitely up to your level of confidence in what you are using to repair a leak. Personally I don't trust plugs except to get it to where a pacth can be installed. depending on the level of damage, I don't know where my cutoff point would be to repair or replace a front tire.

Me myself... plug 'em & run 'em bald! Actually, last week my PR2 with 5000ish miles picked up a sheet metal screw smach dab in the center of tread. I plugged it & will run it the rest of its life.