SW Motech Engage Tank Bag Install-The bag

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigRegs

Reaction score
The mounting ring is installed on the bike, now it's time to mount its mate to the bag (that sounds vaguely dirty).

Hold the mounting ring to the bottom of the bag and position the bag on the tank. Make sure it doesn't interfere with the handlebars at full lock. Hold the ring in place as you remove the bag, mark the four mounting holes and drill 3/16" holes. The ring is secured by four cap-head bolts and lock nuts. The cord at the front snaps to the front of the bag. You pull it to release the pin and the bag.

07TankRing.jpg

Of course those lock nuts protrude into the interior of the bag.

08NutsInside.jpg

That's it! The ring on the bag engages the ring on the tank and holds the bag above the tank surface.

10SideView.jpg

Here's a look inside. The red nylon pocket toward the bottom of the photo can hold a phone or iPod. My LG Dare phone w/ case fits inside it. My 160Gb iPod fits without its protective case, but forget about operating it through the plastic window with a gloved hand. The black rain cover is tucked below the pocket.

11InsideWGear.jpg

Here you can see the window with my phone in place, and the small pocket below. Pocket can hold a point-and-shoot camera.

12BackPocket.jpg

I ordered the optional map pocket as well. It clips at the front to the rings for the shoulder strap, and a velcro tab holds the back end. See the ovals toward the front and left side? Those are sealed, but can be slit to feed an optional LED map light through. Something I may fabricate myself, although SW Motech offers it as an option.

13MapMount.jpg

I like the look and shape of the bag. This may be a bit small for extended touring or LD riding, but it'll hold snacks, a pair of gloves, phone, sunglasses, a camera, map and still have some room. The bag detaches quickly for access to the filler cap for refueling and a shoulder strap and carry handle make it easy to tote with you off the bike. It does not lock in place.

I haven't had a chance to road test it yet, but will post up with impressions when I do.

Craig

doesn't that interfere with the full turn of the handlebars. Looks kind of far forward. Nice job anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a neat idea, but why not a magnetic bag. I've had great luck with them and they are sure a lot easier to install.
I've had a magnetic bag for years. But using it on trips was a hassle every time I had to fill up. Peel off the magnetic "legs", move it off to the side, reseat it after fueling....I didn't like the wear on the paint. This one doesn't touch the paint, one quick pull of the string releases it for refueling, and it snaps back into place just as easily. And this one has some dividers and a better map pocket than my old one.

This afternoon I filled it with a couple half-liters of water, my camera tripod, camera, phone, sunglasses, snack bar, rain cover and shoulder strap with some room left over. I put on 100 miles or so, and I'm satisfied. The back end bounces a bit on bumps, as you'd expect. I may put a small piece of clear vinyl on the tank at that point to prevent rub-marks.

Craig

I have used mine for two years now and love it. The only thing you have to watch for is " if " you have the engine running and turn the handle bars to full lock to the right you might try to engage the starter.

Mac

I have used mine for two years now and love it. The only thing you have to watch for is " if " you have the engine running and turn the handle bars to full lock to the right you might try to engage the starter.
Mac

Which prompts the question: What happens then?

Doesn't the starter inhibit when the bike is running? I have seriously never tried it, but the idea of engaging the start motor when the bike is running because you hit a tank bag must have been explored before.

Craig, thanx for that detailed write-up. I've been debating on purchasing this tankbag for the last six months. I saw the Engage tankbag at the Toronto Motorcycle show and had the sales rep. bring it over to the Yamaha display so I could see it on the FJR. Thought it was a great mounting idea.

Did you ever consider the larger version of the Engage? the XL. I think it may be too big however for my tastes.

Did you buy it from Twisted Throttle? It certainly isn't an inexpensive piece of kit......

thanx

Paul

Went with the same exact setup about a year ago. Loved the quick-attach mount but had problems with the Engage tankbag interfering with handlebar controls. This was due to having risers installed. I didn't think of this when ordering the bag initially. Something to consider. I also noticed that the bottom of the tankbag did rub the tank when the bag was loaded, which was exactly what I was trying to prevent by installing the quick-attach raised mount.

Sent the tankbag back and exchanged with the 5-7 liter Daypack II with optional map holder. This was an excellent solution for me and the mapholder also works well holding a GPS.

Craig, thanx for that detailed write-up. I've been debating on purchasing this tankbag for the last six months. I saw the Engage tankbag at the Toronto Motorcycle show and had the sales rep. bring it over to the Yamaha display so I could see it on the FJR. Thought it was a great mounting idea.
Did you ever consider the larger version of the Engage? the XL. I think it may be too big however for my tastes.

Did you buy it from Twisted Throttle? It certainly isn't an inexpensive piece of kit......

thanx

Paul
The XL looked a bit bulkier than I needed. The size I have suits my purposes fine. Of course, one tends to fill whatever space one has available, right?

Yes, I bought on-line from Twisted Throttle. Not a real user-friendly web site, but the catalog that came with the order provides more details about the bag (and lots of other gear) than they have on their web site.

Craig

I've had their small one for three years now. Had one on my Ninja for over a year, but it started to get a little ratty. Bought a new one the week I brought my 07 home and it's been on there ever since.

what's interesting, is that it seems to have helped prevent a tank cap prying the other day. Seems the ring makes it harder to get a screwdriver down in there or something, all I had was minor scratches, and an unused chunk of improvised siphon hose at the end of the driveway..

what's interesting, is that it seems to have helped prevent a tank cap prying the other day. Seems the ring makes it harder to get a screwdriver down in there or something, all I had was minor scratches, and an unused chunk of improvised siphon hose at the end of the driveway..
That is amazing. I bet there were a bunch of cars around with unlocked fule fillers and ~20 gallons of unleaded in them, but some south bay miscreant decide he needed FJR fuel?

Sheesh...

Last edited by a moderator:
That is amazing. I bet there were a bunch of cars around with unlocked fule fillers and ~20 gallons of unleaded in them, but some south bay miscreant decide he needed FJR fuel?

Sheesh...
Well garsh, it's a mo'cycle, so it must use PREMIUM fuel like cousin bubba's hawg :unsure: Some peoples kids, huh?