Swap a 2014 ECU into a 2013?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABQFJR

Reaction score
The title says it all. The part numbers for the 2013 and 2014 ECU's are different, but I'm guessing that has to do with the 2013 unit having an 82 mph cruise limit and the 2014 unit having a limit of 100 mph.

I'm really tempted to try finding a 2013 on the cheap and buying outright a 2014 ECU and putting it in the bike. They're only about $600, which would be more than made up for by the cost savings of a 2013 over a 2014.

The only reason I'd be doing it would be to raise the cruise limit to 100 mph on a 2013 bike.

Can anyone tell me what kinds of issues I might run into by trying to do this? Or am I in uncharted waters, here?

Or is my time on this forum slowly driving me insane?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea....whatsoever. If you do this, and it works, there will be a run on Yamaha ECUs like no other!

I say go for it!

could be an issue with the ECU on the '14 concerning the ES, even with an ECU on the non ES model. I'd contact a Yamaha tech before putting out ca$h for one.

LKLD... it's very tempting, though I'd like to have a better idea if it would actually work before I tried it. I've checked the ECU part numbers online and the 2013 ECU already has a superseded version... I wonder what that's about? Anyway, in any case, I could go down in history in the annals of FJR lore as the guy who tried the 2014 to 2013 ECU swap.

SouthernCruiser... ECUs for the 2014 ES and A models have totally different part numbers. The part numbers for the 2013 A and 2014 A models are much more similar. Also, the 2013 ECU has already been superseded, as mentioned above. It makes me wonder if Yamaha is quietly getting ready to roll out an update of some sort, or even already has started to do so. Anyway, if you could tell me the name and contact info of a Yamaha tech I could run this by, I'd be very grateful.

'Zilla... don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind. Though if I were to keep my AE, I'd probably skip right to the McCruise route. The fact is, I like the idea of a fly-by-wire system, and I also like the other enhancements Yamaha has made for the Gen III. Plus, I really miss feathering the clutch. :)

Yamaha used the same part# for the FJR ECU from 2009-2012. The 2008 model, for whatever reason, has a totally unique part number. The 2007 ECU shows a superseded part (which would make sense, re: the altitude sickness ECU recall issue).

This seems so crazy, it just might work. The other option, besides buying the bike AND ECU, is to just cough up for the ECU and loan it to someone with a '13 for testing. I could probably resell the ECU if it didn't work, right? Well, maybe not. I doubt there's a huge market for Yamaha FJR ECUs.

2013 ECU part #: 1MC-8591A-20-00 superseded with: 1MC-8591A-21-00

2014 'A' ECU part#: 1MC-8591A-50-00

2014 'ES' ECU part#: 2PD-8591A-20-00

You can call Rob, the Service Mgr at Bobby J's. Him or Chad may know, but I'm betting they haven't had to do it, so the best you'll get is an educated guess.

Maybe Skooter has a connection that would know.

Zilla, thanks, I'll do that. It works out because I was thinking about heading over there to see how desperate they are to move that '13 they have sitting on the floor.

Their sales staff is pretty greedy. They refused to come down at all on the '07 I wanted. This was June '07. That bike sat there until almost Sept. '08. Donno that they behave changed much. I look every year, and every year they try to hold MSRP on their left-over bikes. However their service dept. rocks!

I went through a similar exercise on my '07. I wanted to upgrade ECU to see if it fixed a fuel injection issue I was fighting. I put together a worksheet with what I considered the "significant" parts. Things that fed a signal to the ECU or things the ECU controlled; O2, MAP, injectors etc.

As you noted, many parts are the same across most years. In my case other than throttle body all other sensors were the same. I rolled the dice and picked up an '08 ECU off Flea-bay. FJR runs fine with it.

fjr-parts.jpg

For grins I made my worksheet out to '12 since that was the essentially the last GenII and I wanted to see if other changes had been made. I would recommend at least doing a similar comparison.

"Yes" in the table means same part. (unfortunately my bbcode-foo is not strong and had to paste image of worksheet rather then actual table)

Last edited by a moderator:
Will not be much help but ; In 07 I put 4 different ECU in my 07. Yamaha finally got me the corrected version.

Latest posts