Tech Day in Southwest Virginia

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcpd807

Reaction score
There is a tech day tentatively planed for Saturday April 2nd in Christiansburg, VA. It will be hosted in VASTEVE's garage. Haulinashe has graciously agreed to provide the technical expertise and know how for the day.

The main focus of the day will be on maintainence that would need to be performed on an annual basis.

If you would like to attend this tech day, then post to this thread and also include possible maintainence items that you would like to see or have done.

I am sure Haulinashe will be along shortly to provide additional insight on this day and VASTEVE to answer any questions you may have about logistics and lodging in Christiansburg.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the obvious risk of starting a fire that I cannot control...

Here's a list of service items that I consider ANNUAL to get your wheels a turnin'.

Annual Services

* Spark plug change

* TBS sync

* Coolant change

* Brake/clutch hydraulic system bleed

* Brake caliper maintenance

* Decarboning and PAIR system maintenance (if not capped)

* Clean/grease/re-torque steering head bearings

* Chassis swingarm/rear suspension check

* Battery/charging system check

Obviously you can't expect to do all these things in one day. But we can hope to prioritize the list and cover most of them across a selection of bikes.

Yehaw!!! :yahoo: I'd like to see, and help if possible, any and all of the items HaulinAshe mentioned. Well, maybe not the TBS since I'll be doing mine soon. :assassin:

I'm sure glad this came up as I was leaning towards heading north to Owosso to peek in on those fellas doing FJR Tech Day II.

This would be a tad closer to home and possibly warmer too.

I'm interested... :clapping:

I'm hoping we get more interest in our tech day. I have a few friends that are planning on coming. I hope more of the forum members will come. If anybody needs help with the local motels I'll be glad to help. It should be a great learning day and fun too. We need to get enough people to make it worth Jeff's time. Thanks I hope to see you April 2.

The tenative status for April 2 has been lifted. Looks like we are a go. :yahoo:

At this point we will be doing a valve check/adjustment, TBS, CCT replacement, PAIR cover install, spark plug change, coolant change, PCV install, steering head lube, possible brake fluid change, and other lubes here and there. :unsure:

It should be a great day of learning and comradery. All are welcome, just post your intentions on this thread.

mmmmmm....

This would be a good opportunity for a shake down run on my new suspension candy. And to lend a hand where possible.

Could someone suggest local hotel or campgrounds??

-Wayne

Wooot Woot now I understand the PM I got from HA - call me slow, slower, slowest... :lol:

Guess I'll need to fly HA out to Kali for a tech day when I win the lottery!

I hope this turns out great for ya'll! I won't be able to attend due to work crap - :fuck: but do have a great time wo me, 'k?

Here are a few motels that are less than 5 miles from my home for anyone planning on coming to our tech day.

Econo lodge 1-800-553-2666 58.00

Super-8 1-888-378-7378 54.00

microtel 1-888-771-7171 48.00

Days Inn 1-866-608-6760 52.00

Interstate overnight park 20.00 for tent camping it's the only campground close to my home.

I'm only about 3 miles off I-81 exit 118c

I want to attend ,have cousins in the area and its only 90 miles from me.Hope the weather is good ! :rolleyes:

I am putting this tech. day on my calendar instead of the MI tech. day. Looking forward to meeting folks and learning some stuff.

I am putting this tech. day on my calendar instead of the MI tech. day. Looking forward to meeting folks and learning some stuff.
With the Blind Squirrel now added, that brings our head count to 9 people for the Tech Day. It is shaping up to be an awesome, but busy day of wrenching.

Look forward to it coming to my hometown and meeting FJR owners. Need advise on my Hella Super Tones may be unsafe the way I mounted them but loud as hella.

Looks like I might be able to make this one if allowed. Is a PM possible with location?? thanks Cliff

The Quality Inn in Christiansburg is another nice place. They have free breakfast with a pool and hot tubs. The number for them is 540-382-2055 I think the rates are around 74.00 a night. If there are any other places anyone wants me to check on let me know. Thanks, Steve

Hmm, I might be able to do this depending on the wife's schedule (if she's out on business). I'd love to learn the finer points of the steering head bearings and rear suspension (neither of which I've tackled yet). Anyone tenting (doesn't need to be super close if it's a good spot)? Gotta do the seasonal shakedown of the gear for May's trip...although if it's too cold, I'll hotel it. If I go, I'd probably head out Friday afternoon after work. Perhaps a soft pencil in...

The Quality Inn in Christiansburg is another nice place. They have free breakfast with a pool and hot tubs. The number for them is 540-382-2055 I think the rates are around 74.00 a night. If there are any other places anyone wants me to check on let me know. Thanks, Steve
Econolodge now.

For those attending the tech day who will be arriving in the Christiansburg area Friday afternoon/evening, feel free to stop by Steve's garage if you want. I am sure we will be doing a little tinkering in the garage. Haulinashe will be arriving Friday afternoon/evening and is going to start doing some maintenence on my bike to get a head start.