Tire Repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyosteve

Reaction score
Like a fool I've been riding without a tire repair kit. Getting ready for a couple long rides and figured I better prepare in case of a flat.

What are folks using? Aerostich makes a nice looking kit with the rope plugs and all the other accessories needed to do an on-the-rim repair. It comes with 5 16g CO2 cartridges. Will those be sufficient to air up the tire enough to get to a source of air? Their kit is $36, which seems reasonable if it will do the job.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Checkout the string kits at Wal-Mart-Very inexpensive, like 2-3 bucks. Several threads on modified air pumps, etc. on the forum. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Iggy pipes in in 3...2...1....time to use that there search button Steve or use google as explained in a special article specially written for folks.

Go to wall mart or other... and get some stringy patches...they work...period.

A search will give you a plethora of threads on the subject.

Get a slime compressor and and a sticky string flat repair kit. This is what I have learned after repairing a multitude of flats.

I suffered a flat (puncture from a screw while in CO a couple weeks ago).

We put some air in my tire, left the screw in tact, and rode to a gas station with a real air pump...

I used the Stop-N-Go tire plugger: https://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp and it worked like a champ. I hadn't practiced, was able to read the instructions, and put another 3k on the tire for the rest of the trip and the ride home.

I was very, very happy with how this worked... I also have the rope type plugs but didn't use them.

So...

(1) Stop-N-Go plugger.

(2) Cheep pump from wally world, gut the inner workings from the big plastic case. You're good to go.

I suffered a flat (puncture from a screw while in CO a couple weeks ago).
We put some air in my tire, left the screw in tact, and rode to a gas station with a real air pump...

I used the Stop-N-Go tire plugger: https://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp and it worked like a champ. I hadn't practiced, was able to read the instructions, and put another 3k on the tire for the rest of the trip and the ride home.

I was very, very happy with how this worked... I also have the rope type plugs but didn't use them.

So...

(1) Stop-N-Go plugger.

(2) Cheep pump from wally world, gut the inner workings from the big plastic case. You're good to go.
Gunny on the Stop-n-go.

Fuck that POS Stop-n-go!

Obviously recommended by peeps that have NOT repaired multiple flats. If they had, they would know that the mushroon plugs of the Stop-n-go are not nearly as reliable as the sticky string. And don't even get me started on that Ride-On crap.

A search will give you a plethora of threads on the subject.
Get a slime compressor and and a sticky string flat repair kit. This is what I have learned after repairing a multitude of flats.
+1 gunny and all that stuff.

Slime compressor is small enough to fit under the seat. I keep my tire repair kit in the slime compressor case too.

Fuck that POS Stop-n-go!
Obviously recommended by peeps that have NOT repaired multiple flats. If they had, they would know that the mushroon plugs of the Stop-n-go are not nearly as reliable as the sticky string. And don't even get me started on that Ride-On crap.
Actually no, I've plugged numerous tires on multiple vehicles, and I'm perfectly happy with the results I got from the Stop-n-Go.

I don't know what "gunny" means (guess it means "agree"?)

But...I picked up a slime compressor and a basic string kit from Walmart. The strings and tools (reamer, etc..) I fit in the slime case and it fits nicely under my seat.

Was riding with some buddies the other day and one of their tires looked low. I mentioned the compressor and (even though we were about 1/2 mile from the gas station) it worked like a champ for a quick fill. Had to let it cool a bit before restashing it but I know it works.....

Fuck that POS Stop-n-go!
Actually no, I've plugged numerous tires on multiple vehicles, and I'm perfectly happy with the results I got from the Stop-n-Go.
Just a matter of time skippy.

After reading the above linked thread where many peeps have described inconsistent results with mushroom plugs and universal praise for the sticky string method you can.............

1) Continue to be a stubborn fool refusing to listen to the advice of the collective with LOTS of experience and suffer the consequences someday. In which case you will have to grovel at my feet while apologizing for your complete lack of intelligence AND suffer the inhumanity of my "I TOLD YOU SO'.

or....

2) Follow the path of tire repair enlightenment and join the fellowship of the wise sticky stringers. (No dues your first year)

The choice is simple, no?

:p

or....

2) Follow the path of tire repair enlightenment and join the fellowship of the wise sticky stringers. (No dues your first year)

Agree wholeheartedly on the Stop and Go gadget and the mushroom plugs. I had the high buck version that looks like a pop-riveter and tried multiple time on multiple punctures over a period of two years. Fortunately, I always carried the easy-to-have-with-you gummy worms and inserter. The gummy worms ALWAYS worked, although I have had some very slow seepage problems with them (days, not hours). I have never had a successful fix with the stop and go. It seems radial tire cords cut the damned things after riding on them. I found as many as three of the heads inside the tire after they cut cut off, failed, and replaced. I gave the damned thing away (poor bastard).

Lately Ihave found something I like better, plugged two holes so far and no leaks and no failure:

https://www.aerostich.com/files/images/4952_1a_sm.jpg

4952_1a_sm.jpg

You can buy these several places. You need the little insertion tool, but they work good!!!!!!!!!! I STILL carry the gummy worms and of course, a compressor.

Ed

Fuck that POS Stop-n-go!
Just a matter of time skippy.

After reading the above linked thread where many peeps have described inconsistent results with mushroom plugs and universal praise for the sticky string method you can.............

1) Continue to be a stubborn fool refusing to listen to the advice of the collective with LOTS of experience and suffer the consequences someday. In which case you will have to grovel at my feet while apologizing for your complete lack of intelligence AND suffer the inhumanity of my "I TOLD YOU SO'.

or....

I absolutely agree with SkooterG! This is after 4 years ago this November watching him and Chuck "Frenchy" Doucet totally chinger up the rear tire on Chuck's BMW R1100RS attempting to use that "Stop-n-go" piece of shit. "Fast" Eddie Quarles and I just stood back laughing at "dos pendejos". Stop-n-go is like a Tahitian wearing a shark's tooth, the shark is still eating you!

Was at El Socorro, 275 miles South of the Border in Baja. Finally we jumped in and "sticky stringed" the tire for return to USA!

I absolutely agree with SkooterG! This is after 4 years ago this November watching him and Chuck "Frenchy" Doucet totally chinger up the rear tire on Chuck's BMW R1100RS attempting to use that "Stop-n-go" piece of shit. "Fast" Eddie Quarles and I just stood back laughing at "dos pendejos". Stop-n-go is like a Tahitian wearing a shark's tooth, the shark is still eating you!
Was at El Socorro, 275 miles South of the Border in Baja. Finally we jumped in and "sticky stringed" the tire for return to USA!
I found it amazingly simple to use...

Just ream out the hole (same as you would using the goey strip type)... Load the plugger, put the tip on it, insert it in the hole, take the handle off, screw the loader on, turn the wrench until it stops. Pull it out, tug on the plug to seat it... Put air in the tire, cut plug and you're done.

I've used both, heck still carry both... I'll use the stop-n-go again if needed, or until I run out of plugs then decide.

Harbor Freight has a cheapo yellow compressor that easily fits in the tool tray...$9.95..I.ve used it several times to inflate the large tires on my garden tractor-works great..

Well not universal praise... I had the sticky string come out of the rear tire on my RZ-350 once, and I know I did a pretty good job of a repair. I now don't consider a tire "repaired" unless it's got an internal patch, and everything else is "just get me home" stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: well, the string didn't actually come out of the tire, but it leaked like hell and let all the air out in a corner. This was from a standard size nail hole. I think the tire might have been bias, as it was too long ago to be a radial, I think.

Well not universal praise... I had the sticky string come out of the rear tire on my RZ-350 once, and I know I did a pretty good job of a repair. I now don't consider a tire "repaired" unless it's got an internal patch, and everything else is "just get me home" stuff as far as I'm concerned.
Well, just goes to show you there is always one RETARD in every bunch. :D

Don't know what to tell you. I have put thousands of miles on many sticky string repairs. These repairs have seen speeds in excess of 140, and I have ridden these repaired tires to the cords. Never a leak.