Trip Planning And Need Some Suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAxeman

Reaction score
Michelle and I are planning a train/motorcycle trip in late August, early September of 2011. The plan is to fly out to Chicago and jump on the Amtrak Zephyr which would then take us to San Francisco. After a couple of days of playing tourist in SF we want to rent a bike and head down the PCH to San Simeon and then up to Yosemite, and then back to SF for a flight out. I am allowing 4 days for riding and smelling the roses and will be riding a BMW if I can't find an FJR. I've been checking out the roads over at the Pashnit site but would love to supplement that with some first hand advice from you guys... the usual what to eat, what to see, what roads to take, what to avoid type of advice.

I'm still working out the luggage situation and am pretty sure I will be able to store the suitcases at the airport (SFO) for a few days while we are gone but other suggestions would be helpful. Someone had suggested sending them back to NY via UPS.

Whatever you guys can come up with is greatly appreciated.

Bike rental - Dubbelju. :)

As for roads, send me your email addy and I can send you a 3-day route that I did for my touring company in the areas you're looking at, complete with hotels to stay at... no charge! ;)

You might also check with whatever hotel you're staying at and ask if they might store your suitcases for you.

Bike rental - Dubbelju. :)

As for roads, send me your email addy and I can send you a 3-day route that I did for my touring company in the areas you're looking at, complete with hotels to stay at... no charge! ;)

You might also check with whatever hotel you're staying at and ask if they might store your suitcases for you.
+1, Gunny! Dubbelju is the best in the business, have scores of friends who've used them and always pleased with their service! Axe, when you're in Northern California, make sure that you stop at Old Michael's and see his porcelain kitties collection! Truly amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO some of the best riding around is right in my back yard (Central Sierras). You are also planning your trip at one of the best times of the year. If I was doing your trip I would ride from San Simeon and head east to the Sierras. If you left early you could do the ride to the park and do some light exploration in one day. There isn't much to see between San Simeon and Yosemite if you take the direct route. It could be very hot in the central valley that time of year so I would leave early. The crowds in Yosemite won't be too bad that time of the year since the kids will be back in school. Spend a day in the park and see the sights. BTW go the speed limit since they are very strict in the park. Ride east over SR 120 (Tioga Pass) and get a hotel in Bridegeport, Lee Vining, or Mammouth Lakes.

Day 2 could be a nice ride on some of the high desert back roads east of SR 395. We are talking no cars, great roads, great views, very little development, very very few PEOPLE, and some of the most fun that can be had on a bike. :rolleyes: One of my favorite roads around Mammouth is to take Benton Crossing (off of SR 395, just south of Mammouth lakes) north to SR 120. Then ride west on SR 120 back to SR 395. The views around Mono Lake are nice. Head north on SR 395 to SR 108 and ride west over SR 108 (Sonora Pass). You could stay in Sonora or ride east over SR 4 (Ebbets Pass) and stay the night in the Carson City area. SR 4 is a very nice ride and well worth the time. If you went this way it would be an easy ride back to SF via SR 88 or SR 50.

The coast is nice but the traffic is a drag. Spend as much time as possible in the Sierras and the high desert and you will not be disappointed. The Sierra Pass rides and high desert riding is what a sport tourer was built for. PM me if you need more info or maybe a tour guide. I’m always looking for an excuse to ride.

Good plan. Cal State Route 108 is my new fave m/c road around here, and the competition is stiff! After Yosemite, west on 120 to 395, a few miles north and back east over the Sierras on 108. You'll be wowed. We've got some other pretty good choices too, btw.

As for Yosemite Valley, be careful about the timing, though. The roads will still be packed anytime in August, but break off sharply once school resumes, around that first week of Sept. Worth adjusting your schedule a little just for that, IMO. There's a lot to see in this area, as the other folks have said. Hope we get a chance to connect while you're here.

The luggage storage idea at the airport sounds iffy. I don't think they let you store overnight in those rental lockers anymore--a security thing. The hotel idea sounds good if you're going back to the same one after the motorcycle leg of the trip. And, um, local forum folks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Rider, that is exactly the information I was looking for! I'm going to start planning the route and will plug your roads into it to try and get a feel for distance and time.

Tyler, I'm going to PM you with an email addy. I really appreciate you sharing some of your top secret information, I'm sure it it going to be extremely helpful.

BD, I'm not sure if I'm ready for OM's porcelain kitties and besides I'm going to have my Michelle with me for "entertainment". I already had dubbelju plugged into my Bookmarks but your stamp of approval is duly noted.

Good plan. Cal State Route 108 is my new fave m/c road around here, and the competition is stiff! After Yosemite, west on 120 to 395, a few miles north and back east over the Sierras on 108. You'll be wowed. We've got some other pretty good choices too, btw.

As for Yosemite Valley, be careful about the timing, though. The roads will still be packed anytime in August, but break off sharply once school resumes, around that first week of Sept. Worth adjusting your schedule a little just for that, IMO. There's a lot to see in this area, as the other folks have said. Hope we get a chance to connect while you're here.

The luggage storage idea at the airport sounds iffy. I don't think they let you store overnight in those rental lockers anymore--a security thing. The hotel idea sounds good if you're going back to the same one after the motorcycle leg of the trip. And, um, local forum folks?

I'm flexible with the schedule so early Sept sounds better to me. I already made plans for EOM so I might as well just take the whole month off. :lol:

I found this on the SFO website.

Travel Agency

The Airport Travel Agency is a full service travel agency offering travel reservations, travel insurance, luggage storage, overnight express delivery, faxes and photocopies. Notary Public and monetary transfers are also available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

International Terminal, Main Hall, pre-security

I'll have to call to find out exactly how long the luggage storage is good for. I will check with the hotel also once I've decided where I'm going to stay. Leaving bags with a forum member may be just harder logistically but is also an option I'll leave open.

IMO some of the best riding around is right in my back yard (Central Sierras). You are also planning your trip at one of the best times of the year. If I was doing your trip I would ride from San Simeon and head east to the Sierras. If you left early you could do the ride to the park and do some light exploration in one day. There isn't much to see between San Simeon and Yosemite if you take the direct route. It could be very hot in the central valley that time of year so I would leave early. The crowds in Yosemite won't be too bad that time of the year since the kids will be back in school. Spend a day in the park and see the sights. BTW go the speed limit since they are very strict in the park. Ride east over SR 120 (Tioga Pass) and get a hotel in Bridegeport, Lee Vining, or Mammouth Lakes.

Day 2 could be a nice ride on some of the high desert back roads east of SR 395. We are talking no cars, great roads, great views, very little development, very very few PEOPLE, and some of the most fun that can be had on a bike. :rolleyes: One of my favorite roads around Mammouth is to take Benton Crossing (off of SR 395, just south of Mammouth lakes) north to SR 120. Then ride west on SR 120 back to SR 395. The views around Mono Lake are nice. Head north on SR 395 to SR 108 and ride west over SR 108 (Sonora Pass). You could stay in Sonora or ride east over SR 4 (Ebbets Pass) and stay the night in the Carson City area. SR 4 is a very nice ride and well worth the time. If you went this way it would be an easy ride back to SF via SR 88 or SR 50.

The coast is nice but the traffic is a drag. Spend as much time as possible in the Sierras and the high desert and you will not be disappointed. The Sierra Pass rides and high desert riding is what a sport tourer was built for. PM me if you need more info or maybe a tour guide. I’m always looking for an excuse to ride.

^^This^^

An excellent ride!

My place is less than an hour south of SF , if you want to ship your gear here, or store your luggage...... just shoot me a PM.

San Simeon east to the Sierra's? Woot Woot you'll be in my backyard and for once I won't be working heavy OT during that time of year!

I'll keep an eye on this thread - would love to meet and ride with you for a bit, Axe! :yahoo:

Hey Axe, I'd suggest picking up a copy of Clement Salvadori's excellent book Motorcycle Journeys Through California; you usually can pick them up at Amazon for less than ten bucks. I have the original First Edition and the original First Edition of Motorcycle Journeys Through Baja California.

https://www.whitehorsegear.com/motorcycle-journeys-through-california-and-baja-2nd-edition If you can't find a used copy of this book for a good price, Whitehorse Press in State called New Hampshire now sells both books bound together for $30. Author Clement Salvadori give great M/C details!!

Happy Rider pretty much covered it, but I have one suggestion. Go south on 120 from 395 to Benton Crossing Road and then take BC road back to 395. Trust me going west the views on BC road are gorgeous :) Albeit in sept the mountains wont be snow capped but a great view nonetheless.

When you get back on 395. Check out Convict Lake for a quick stretch out. Once again great views :)

Have fun and if you let us know in the forum when you will be passing thru exactly you might even find local tour guides for company.

Happy planning and happy riding.

Hey Axe, check out my post from last June when my bud and I rode up to Mammoth Lakes area (just north of Convict Lake that PuppyChow was talking about) and the June Lakes area. LinkieThingie. Pick and choose from the timeline the part you want to look at. I think I'm getting more excited about this for you than you are!

According to their web site on the rate page Dubbelju will store your luggage
That got right by me! Problem solved.

Don, I remember that thread that you linked to. I'll have to look at the video later again because its not loading fast enough on my 10 year old Etch-A-Sketch computer at the moment. :glare:

Highlander, thanks for the offer! I'll make sure to post up our itinerary once I have it layed out so we can get together for a ride.

I just finished posting in another thread that asked about renting out of the SanFran area, so will just post a link:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=134297&pid=809946&st=0entry809946

Dubbelju is easiest to get to by taking BART into the heart of the city. From there, it'd be a taxi or healthy walk. Something I forgot to post in the other thread is that I pack an extra layer of warm clothes for trips to SanFran.

I rent all over the place and always leave my luggage free wherever I get the bike. Most Admo & EagleRider places have a locked rack or room for bags that only a few employees can get into. Never had a problem leaving the bags, but I also don't leave much more than clothes and paper (work stuff) in them.

Should be an excellent vacation - have fun.

Latest posts