UK's bike magazine ranks FJR 2nd to last

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barabus

Reaction score
21611816.jpg

96 The Big Test

It’s the heavyweight battle to decide

the European crown: BMW R1200RT

v BMW K1200GT v Honda Pan

European v Kawasaki 1400GTR v Yamaha FJR1300 to the Czech Republic and back

The magazine, which is the only bike mag I feel worth reading has the following test results-

1st BWM 1200RT

2nd BMW 1200GT

3rd Honda ST1300

4th Yamaha FJR1300

Last Kawi GTR 1400

The article is extensive with very good and interesting performance data. I encourage you to pick up a copy and read it (usually available at Cycle Gear)Even though the rankings are disappointing to me personally, the reviewers were split and fragmented on their rankings. Of 5 reviewers, 2 picked the FJR as their personal favorites. Of note, only one picked the RT as his favorite. They put 2500 miles on each bike during the test. In sum, many of the reviewers hated the heavy sprung throttle and small OEM windscreen. I wonder what they would pick if they had actual customers bikes after one year of farkling?

Last edited by a moderator:
Naw, I have already tossed the mags who are mistakenly blowing sunshine up BMW's ass. Advertising dollars flow out of Bayerischen Motoren Werkes like Jaegermsiter at a frat haus. Yamaha pours their cash into bikes, racing, and development.

I seen one leaking $20K final drive, I've seen them all. :bye:

Naw, I have already tossed the mags who are mistakenly blowing sunshine up BMW's ass. Advertising dollars flow out of Bayerischen Motoren Werkes like Jaegermsiter at a frat haus. Yamaha pours their cash into bikes, racing, and development.
I seen one leaking $20K final drive, I've seen them all. :bye:
Well, I am not sure. Usually, I can spot the advertising department which parrots the factory ad to "write" the articles. UK Bike mag has not seemed to have done that in the past. One reason I like them. In addition, the Kawi is the only new bike which should get the most ad money. Certainly the RT and the ST1300 are not high ad spending models!

The B Co. from Germany has thrown more money at motojournalists lately than any other company. Last fall they brought them into Germany, via Edelweiss tours, for a full ten days of riding and touring on the open roads and the closed circuits. Paid for.

I believe if I was given such treatment for free I'd bend my writing fingers too, just to be possibly invited back, and have favor found for the mag I write for.

We'll stick with our Feejer, Ducatis, Hondas, and KTMs. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

My review; I might buy (3) used FJRs for the price of (1) new BMW, and still have about 1/5 of the maintenance troubles with the three Yamahas I ride while borrowing them out to friends! Share the ride, don't try to sell it.

:fans:

I bet they tested the A model, if they tested the AE I am sure it would have scored higher. :aggressive:

Havn't seen the mag or the article, but did it specify if they tested a "A" model or an "AE" model?
The A model was tested.
Oh, trust me, had they tested an AE model, we would had ended up in the cellar, no question.

This is the 2nd big mainstream review that that has knocked the big Kawk GT's dick in the dirt with a last place finish.... haarrm....
shrug.gif

Did they test an '07 FJR with the oval shaped throttle tube, or the '08 with the round throttle tube?
Good point Mike. It was Euro spec, but since the test was in August or September, then it must have been on '07. And I thought the same about the GTR- last again.

Barabas wrote:

Of 5 reviewers, 2 picked the FJR as their personal favorites. Of note, only one picked the RT as his favorite.
That gives us 3 out of 5 first place votes. Could you provide the others? 2nd's and 3rd's also if possible.

Sometimes there gold to be panned in the dirt.

96 The Big TestIt's the heavyweight battle to decide

the European crown:
So why does it surprise anyone that European bikes came out on top?

I also suspect that the results may be influenced by the area in which the testing was done too. Riding 2.5k miles throughout the American desert south west would probably favor a different machine than one ridden through tight European cities and/or the mountainous areas.

I think a lot of '07 riders would agree that the throttle effort and response does detract from an otherwise good motorcycle. The testis, err, testers are asked to choose the best bike with no stake in the process, such as actually having to pay for it, maintain it or insure it.

[SIZE=12pt] (Why couldn't the British mag find a British bike to include in the test?)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

I must say that part of the reason I posted this shootout, when I generally disregard shootouts, is because the performance data is very complete and interesting. For instance, I always assume that an FJR could "take" a k1200gt. Not so. The GTR and K1200gt are much faster and faster, respectively. Damn copyright laws, I would love to post it all for the forum and get some good feedback.

They don't have a website you could link? :unsure:

You could email it to Don and HE could post it! :dribble:

Edit: They have a website but you must register, etc., etc.

Last edited by a moderator: