What to wear..

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any comments on whether the Underarmour Compression stuff works any better than a looser good wicking long sleeve undershirt?

Are you into your trip yet?

I didn't think about this before, but this time of year it's monsoon season (as they call it in AZ)out here in NC. Doesn't really matter what you're wearing to stay cool. Because once you have to put rain gear on then you're hot and wet.... but you'll dry off in an hour or so. Hope your trip goes well!

I'm riding from OK to NC, mid to end of July, so saying it'll be hot is an understatement. I wear a Cortech GX Air Series mesh jacket and Olympia Airglide II mesh pants, gloves and boots. I had planned on a pair of LD shorts underneath the pants and something that wicks moisture for under the jacket, short sleeved and as light as possible. As I'll be on some very warm slabs, any input on whether this is a good idea to wear the shorts or will the heat be too much coming through the mesh pants? This is my first distance trip of any kind.

Thanks.
I rode 3500 miles in the southeast and just got back a week ago. Wore full leathers the whole time. Outside temp read 104 on the bike for three consecutive days! I'm not going to lie, it was hot as hell, but as long as I stopped every now and then and kept moving when I was on the bike, it wasn't that bad.

Full leathers huh? How much weight did you lose? lol

I had to go out to GA yesterday for work, so I thought it would be more economical to take the FJR, especially since I get paid for mileage :yahoo: It was 650 miles roundtrip, 5.5-6 hours each way. The best part was 5pm traffic in Atlanta... Apparently I didn't piss anyone off with my modified lane sharing technique, nobody honked, tailgated or tried to cut me off. Actually I think they were probably jealous since they couldn't maneuver like I could. Anyway, it was freaking hot! and humid. At red lights I was trying to meditate without falling off the bike. On the highway I alternated between fairing up and visor cracked, to fairing lower and visor down. I wore mesh but I was wishing there were more holes in it. The nicest part was about 3 miles of rain I rode through. That cooled me right down and it wasn't a drencher, just a little shower.

Glad you had a nice trip, how were the mtn's in NC/TN?

Was perusing the web looking at cooling vests and came across a couple that use a remote icewater filled "cooler" with a circulation pump. Looks like they're pretty effective and designed to wear under your jacket (they're described as working better when insulated from outside air). Anybody out there ever use a circulating cooling vest? I'd love to find out if they work as good as they appear to... (CLICKY)

Here's another one from a different manufacturer... and a little more money. ANOTHER CLICKY

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Full leathers huh? How much weight did you lose? lol

I had to go out to GA yesterday for work, so I thought it would be more economical to take the FJR, especially since I get paid for mileage :yahoo: It was 650 miles roundtrip, 5.5-6 hours each way. The best part was 5pm traffic in Atlanta... Apparently I didn't piss anyone off with my modified lane sharing technique, nobody honked, tailgated or tried to cut me off. Actually I think they were probably jealous since they couldn't maneuver like I could. Anyway, it was freaking hot! and humid. At red lights I was trying to meditate without falling off the bike. On the highway I alternated between fairing up and visor cracked, to fairing lower and visor down. I wore mesh but I was wishing there were more holes in it. The nicest part was about 3 miles of rain I rode through. That cooled me right down and it wasn't a drencher, just a little shower.

Glad you had a nice trip, how were the mtn's in NC/TN?
The mountains are always 15 degrees cooler than the city. I live in the northern burbs and just the ride home on a weekend run can see the temps rise 10 degrees. Glad you survived the ATL traffic. I try never to go near the city! NC/TN were just awesome as usual. Rode 3500 all over the east and the best roads were within 1.5 hours of my house! Sometimes we forget how great we have it.

Any comments on whether the Underarmour Compression stuff works any better than a looser good wicking long sleeve undershirt?
When I put on the compression shirt and shorts and walk through the house I get chilled. Even better on a bike. In my opinion, the tighter they are the better as it allows more air to circulate under the stich. Also, when stretched taut, it opens the spaces in the fabric and really lets it breath. Anything that's looser will bunch up and hold air or hinder the flow.

I use the el cheapo Target or Walmart brands. They don't stay nice and odor-free as long as the Underarmor stuff, but I found on sale for $2 each. Can't argue with that ... that's usually less than the sales tax on the Underarmor stuff.

And for the record ... even in humid MN when I don't have airflow, synthetics are still more comfy than cotton.

When I put on the compression shirt and shorts and walk through the house I get chilled. Even better on a bike. In my opinion, the tighter they are the better as it allows more air to circulate under the stich. Also, when stretched taut, it opens the spaces in the fabric and really lets it breath. Anything that's looser will bunch up and hold air or hinder the flow.

I use the el cheapo Target or Walmart brands. They don't stay nice and odor-free as long as the Underarmor stuff, but I found on sale for $2 each. Can't argue with that ... that's usually less than the sales tax on the Underarmor stuff.

And for the record ... even in humid MN when I don't have airflow, synthetics are still more comfy than cotton.
I've got a loose synthetic shirt that I wear under my jacket, but it's short sleeve and I think I want to try a long sleeve version. Im going to go by Walmart and see what they have. It seems like the way to go!

My hot weather riding outfit:

Running shorts with cool max liner

Long sleeve cool max shirt

Synthetic socks

Aerostich Combat Light Touring Boots

Aerostich Elk Skin Gloves

Small wind screen on bike

Miracool vest and Miracool neck wrap (IMO these are a must)

Cycleport (Motoport) Kevlar Mesh

Camelback in tank bag. You have to drink all of the time. You will get dehydrated if you only drink at gas breaks. I drink about 8 liters of H2O a day when its 90 degrees plus.

I keep a pair of Keen sandels on the bike and strip down to running shorts and cool max shirt and my Keens during longer breaks. It takes less than ten minutes to change and feels great. The running shorts work nicely as a swim suit. I stop at rivers and lakes and go for a dip. A few minutes in the water does wonders to cool you off and refresh/wake the body. Get up very early and enjoy the sunrise. Get a couple hundred miles knocked off prior to breakfast. Ride hard and get off the road early. Take a break and if you feel up to more riding resume riding for a few hours in the evening. Eat light meals often. I start lunch as soon as breakfast is over.

+1 for the tight LD Comfort long sleeve shirt and pants, in any temperature. This stuff really works, it's better than cotton and better than my coolmax running gear which fits loosely. I have a pair of mesh pants that I don't use anymore because that lets too much outside heat into my lower legs, even on my Gen II FJR. I use a pair of BMW Summer Pants, khaki color, that work very well for reflecting heat and not letting in outside hot air.

Have a safe trip. I think you are on the right track for finding your best combination.

I always wear my two piece aerostitch - in hot weather I load all the pockets with ice.

Carry a camel back (half ice, half water at the start) in my tank bag so I can drink while moving. This was about the smartest trick I ever put into use.

My hot weather riding outfit:

Running shorts with cool max liner

Long sleeve cool max shirt

Synthetic socks

Aerostich Combat Light Touring Boots

Aerostich Elk Skin Gloves

Small wind screen on bike

Miracool vest and Miracool neck wrap (IMO these are a must)

Cycleport (Motoport) Kevlar Mesh

Camelback in tank bag. You have to drink all of the time. You will get dehydrated if you only drink at gas breaks. I drink about 8 liters of H2O a day when its 90 degrees plus.

I keep a pair of Keen sandels on the bike and strip down to running shorts and cool max shirt and my Keens during longer breaks. It takes less than ten minutes to change and feels great. The running shorts work nicely as a swim suit. I stop at rivers and lakes and go for a dip. A few minutes in the water does wonders to cool you off and refresh/wake the body. Get up very early and enjoy the sunrise. Get a couple hundred miles knocked off prior to breakfast. Ride hard and get off the road early. Take a break and if you feel up to more riding resume riding for a few hours in the evening. Eat light meals often. I start lunch as soon as breakfast is over.

+1 on the running shorts

Just to bring some closure to to this thread - although a bit late, I've added a ride report in the Ride Report forum.

Ride Report

I wore moisture wicking clothing under my riding gear for the ride, long sleeved for the upper body and leggings for the lower body, and that was all I had on. I did sweat pretty good at times, like at a gas station or getting back on the bike after eating, but for the first 15 minutes or so after getting back on the road, it was very much like a swamp cooler blowing on me and felt pretty good. Getting hot was a given, but it was not unbearable by any stretch, I think the long sleeves and leggings really made a difference. I did use a cooling vest on the return trip but only in OK. It also made a difference. I had some Under Armour stuff but mostly just Eastbay gear, I couldn't find any Starter stuff that would fit/work.

anybody ever try this stuff? Looks like one happy monkey.

original_store__22649_std.png

Yup.

I received it as a joke because of the poor red ass monkey on the label. Folks thought he was hilarious

I figured that since I had it, what the heck, and gave it a try. It works about as well as any good power can (Gold Bond, etc.). No better and no worse really.

I also wear the LD Distance shorts for any rides over about 2 hours, and they say there is no need to use a powder with their dual layer shorts, and that doing so may be detrimental to comfort if the powder clogs your pores. :eek:

However, in the category of far TMI, I still like to try to keep my junk dry whenever possible. :p

I swear by my smartwool. long underwear and zip up mock turtle neck. not the coolest in hot weather, but wicks very well. I typically encounter massive elevation changes (montana, colorado idaho, oregon utah.) so being prepared for cold is good. I stopped wearing leathers in the summer months, and I really like my Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 Jacket and pants, with their zip off panels that reveal mesh. I don't expect that they would do as well as my leathers if I go down, but versatile they are. (BTW - newenough.com is blowing out these jackets at $169 right now.) And when it gets hot, mesh paired with wicking is pretty refreshing.

I typically keep my camelback reservoir in my tank bag, 3/4 ice to start the day.