YFO 2017 - Yosemite and Beyond - June 1-3, 2017

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pop rode his "new" FJR into town this morning to get his annual Inspection Sticker. That was his first ride on the street since he crashed. It's been 8 weeks since his shoulder surgery and we still have over a month left. I am feeling pretty confident this little ride is gonna happen.
thumbsupsmiley.png
thumbsupsmiley.png
hyper.gif
yahoo.gif

Great news! Sure hope you guys are at YFO - I don't want to be the only 'Old dude" there.
smile.png
-Glen
So, guessing this is going to be your first FJR gathering, Glen? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pop rode his "new" FJR into town this morning to get his annual Inspection Sticker. That was his first ride on the street since he crashed. It's been 8 weeks since his shoulder surgery and we still have over a month left. I am feeling pretty confident this little ride is gonna happen.
thumbsupsmiley.png
thumbsupsmiley.png
hyper.gif
yahoo.gif

Great news! Sure hope you guys are at YFO - I don't want to be the only 'Old dude" there.
smile.png
-Glen
So, guessing this is going to be your first FJR gathering, Glen?
laugh.png
laugh.png
laugh.png
Well, no - I was at EOM in Wytheville last year. BUT I"m hoping to make age 70 later this year.
winksmiley02.gif

I am out due to lack of vacation time and priorities. There is a double queen room opened at the Mariposa Lodge checking in June 1 and checking out June 4.

Priority one is to spend more time with my wife. My son is working on a work transfer from from Seattle to Paris this year and wifey and I want to go visit him. Sorry I won't meet some of the peeps on the forum but family comes first.

Glacier Point update

Crews have plowed a single lane to and through the Glacier Point Parking lot. The parking lot has eight feet of snow, making plowing tedious and time consuming.

Tioga update

Crews are mobilizing equipment to begin plowing the Tioga Road.

coolsmiley02.gif

I am out due to lack of vacation time and priorities. There is a double queen room opened at the Mariposa Lodge checking in June 1 and checking out June 4.
Priority one is to spend more time with my wife. My son is working on a work transfer from from Seattle to Paris this year and wifey and I want to go visit him. Sorry I won't meet some of the peeps on the forum but family comes first.
Too bad you're not making the trip Fontanaman, but understand the family thing...we'll miss you! Keep your "plan" in standby for an adventure at a later date.

--G

Speaking of road conditions in California . . .

We've talked about the bridge that went out on 101 down by Big Sur, but up north on the other end of the road there were a couple big landslides a week or so back. Caltrans got it open after several days of round-the-clock work, and it was open for all of 27 hours before they got another surprise. This time they had some notice--loose rock coming down and such--so they'd closed the road again and Caltrans had crews on site. And at least one witness was filming when another hill slid down onto the road in the same place. Looks like 101 will be closed north of Leggett (about an hour south of Eureka) for at least a few more days. Hell of a year here in Cali.

Take a look. (Suggest you click the YouTube icon and watch full screen. And be patient for a minute or so.)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty clear to me that the high passes at Yosemite will be closed by the time YFO gets here.

Will I be able to see the park? Tunnel View? Half Dome? Bridal Falls?

Is there a resource online that I can use to determine what parts of the park I will likely not be able to see, and which parts will likely be open?

Pants, come in from the west, where Mariposa is and you can get into the valley to see all the sights. This is what I was told by the locals a few weeks ago but they will probably chime in as well!

What he said. No problem getting from Mariposa into Yosemite Valley where all the postcard views are. And maybe even some of the higher roads will be open too, from what Highlander said in post 563. But being on the Valley floor looking up is almost as good as being up on Glacier Point looking down. Maybe, hopefully, you can all do both.

And I've been to YNP many times, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen all the waterfalls as SPECTACULAR as they're going to be in early June this year!

Here's a current pic from a YNP road conditions website showing the parking lot at Glacier Point. Guessing from this that the short trail down to the lookout from there could be open and the road dry in 5 or 6 weeks.

20170419_114903.jpg

Here again is why you hope you'll be able to ride up to Glacier Point.

Glacier_Point_Yosemite_IMG_4258.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of road conditions in California . . .
We've talked about the bridge that went out on 101 down by Big Sur, but up north on the other end of the road there were a couple big landslides a week or so back. Caltrans got it open after several days of round-the-clock work, and it was open for all of 27 hours before they got another surprise. This time they had some notice--loose rock coming down and such--so they'd closed the road again and Caltrans had crews on site. And at least one witness was filming when another hill slid down onto the road in the same place. Looks like 101 will be closed north of Leggett (about an hour south of Eureka) for at least a few more days. Hell of a year here in Cali.

Take a look. (Suggest you click the YouTube icon and watch full screen. And be patient for a minute or so.)
Mike, NOT 101, but CA 1 is what you are talking about here.......101 is fine all the way thru state.

Plenty to see and do even if only few passes are still closed most everything else is open and I can assure you after years of drought this will be one of the best years to visit Ca in quite sometime. Tyler was up to visit this weekend and we did a flower sniffing local ride in the Sierra's Saturday. Things are green and looking good in the mountains!