YFO 2017 - Yosemite and Beyond - June 1-3, 2017

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a talk with Pop this weekend. A very serious talk. We discussed the distance, the time away from home, his age, the uncertainty of dealing with "people you meet on the internet", different riding styles and speeds, and all the many things that can go wrong on a trip like this.

Actually, that is not true. I talked about all of those things while he listened quietly.

Pop's response was, "I have only met a few people off this forum of yours and they have all been really nice. I wouldn't mind riding with any of them again. Is there any reason we shouldn't go?"

I talked some more and he listened some more.

I am usually the lead bike and I do most of our trip planning but my Pop is in charge and always has the final say. Pop says... We are IN!

Tyler? I hate you.
smile.png

No it ain't. Pop and I are not tent campers. We will need some assistance from you as the local expert on where to stay and where to eat. Pop is not really into the social scene and this is a huge leap of faith for both of us.

At least I have well over a year to plan an acceptable route there and back. We will be avoiding Interstates as much as possible.

"In" Credit Card Camper, looking for a non snoring, non smoker to share a room with.

Eager to rendezvous with some of you easterners en-route!

escapefjrtist and I will make the trip together

Last edited by a moderator:
In - doesn't matter when or where it starts and finishes, as long as Tyler is organizing it the result can only be epic! My goal will be to pick up the train as far east as I can manage, and jump off as late as the rest of life requires.....

This is getting big - me likely...

I'm definitely going to add Joshua Tree and Death Valley to my trip. Already been to Sequoia and Kings Canyon but would love to go back.

Minimum 4 days to get there, 4 days to get back. 4-7 days there. I'm going to call it 2 weeks for now.

Why don't we all credit card camp for the actual 2-night meet? I can tent camp on the way there, and elsewhere.

Having said that, that suggested place looks pricey. I know that Yosemite and the entire region is more expensive than the norm, but if I read that right - $350.00 a night for a cabin?

Will be showing this whole thread to Mona after work. We've never traveled that far west but are definitely interested. Downside is we would have to use all of our vacation time to do this. Can't say "in" just yet but will certainly be the topic of dinner conversation tonight.

No rolling cluster-fucks for me, but I will be seeing you guys around at some point, somewhere.
I understand that but I hope to meet you while I am out your way. Please think about it.
Oh he'll show but most likely after the riding is done... he's like a ninja... show's up when you least expect him.
aikido.gif

Can't say "in" just yet but will certainly be the topic of dinner conversation tonight.
Oh to be a fly on the wall for that one... ;)

We will need some assistance from you as the local expert on where to stay and where to eat. Pop is not really into the social scene and this is a huge leap of faith for both of us.
Have you guys every ridden Hwy 1 aka the Pacific Coast Hwy? Or crossed the Golden Gate Bridge? Done any of the Sierra passes - 4/Ebbetts, 89/Monitor, 108/Sonora? Been to Lake Tahoe? Any preference on things to see, places to go, etc.? Make a wish list (that goes for you too, Pants)! B)

No rolling cluster-fucks for me, but I will be seeing you guys around at some point, somewhere.
I understand that but I hope to meet you while I am out your way. Please think about it.
Oh I am planning on it. I don't get a whole lot of time off anymore (or hopefully only these days, and might change in the future), but I hope to see you when you are within day/weekend ride distance.

We will need some assistance from you as the local expert on where to stay and where to eat. Pop is not really into the social scene and this is a huge leap of faith for both of us.
Have you guys every ridden Hwy 1 aka the Pacific Coast Hwy? Or crossed the Golden Gate Bridge? Done any of the Sierra passes - 4/Ebbetts, 89/Monitor, 108/Sonora? Been to Lake Tahoe? Any preference on things to see, places to go, etc.? Make a wish list (that goes for you too, Pants)!
cool.png
Will you stop it! I only have so much time to take off!

Oh no Bob - you didn't. This is a bucket list trip, man. No corner cutting happening on this one, bud. Minimum 2 weeks for me - maybe 18 days. By the time this trip comes, you will be almost done work wise - remember, we don't get to decide!!!!

I've caged PCH, but would like to ride it as well. Never been to Lake Tahoe - that would be super cool to see. At some point, I will need to sit with the map and really look it over.

Oh no Bob - you didn't. This is a bucket list trip, man. No corner cutting happening on this one, bud. Minimum 2 weeks for me - maybe 18 days. By the time this trip comes, you will be almost done work wise - remember, we don't get to decide!!!!
I've caged PCH, but would like to ride it as well. Never been to Lake Tahoe - that would be super cool to see. At some point, I will need to sit with the map and really look it over.
I can work up a rough itinerary for you... stay tuned. B)