2014 Appalachian Campout

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this was a campout...not a finger pointing contest? Half of the posts have been regarding who has the biggest cabin pussy.
biggrin.png

You guys will have a great time on those roads...I bet I'll be able to hear the FJRs in high rev mode. I'll be listening for it.
Mark, are you sure you don't need any help drinking your beer? I'm sure we could help.
We may be camping in our house as the furniture may not be there yet. No Joe, no help needed with the beer...yet.

5 days to departure! It seems my bud, Jay wants to ride this weekend. I guess that I will need to do my camp bag/tent shake down sometime next week. Going to WV for our long Memorial Day weekend.

Might get a bit of riding in this weekend, but it's only going to be a 2 day holiday for me...I traded the Monday holiday for next Friday off so I don't have to burn a vacation day...which I'm saving for a potential NAFO-->EOM extravaganza. ;) Still planning to depart work Thursday afternoon and hit Cruso by dark. I'm tempted by Sparta, but the $15 tent site calls my wallet...

Got a new PR3 front mounted and will install it tomorrow. For the record, the PR2 that came off had 12.7k on it and looked like it had another 1-1.5k to give...of course the mountains would've probably eaten that up quickly...as noted earlier. Prior to re-installing the front, I need to swap out the front pads that I'd flipped last year as they are now at potato skin thickness. Wanye sent me a used OEM set with appx. 20k miles on them back when I got a rear caliper assembly from him, so those will be getting installed.

Then it's time to break out the tent and other gear and do an inspection. I need to re-seal one tiny area of seam in my tent that ever-so-slightly weeped a bit last year in a heavy downpour...it's 10 years old, so that's not bad I think. Guess I probably should mow the yard too...recent rain=jungle. :D

I'm still waiting to hear from Bob about what time we're meeting in South Boston on Thursday. I need to look @ a map but I "think" they're might be a good alternate to taking Rte 58/big assed speed trap until we decide to drop down into Sparta.

I'm still waiting to hear from Bob about what time we're meeting in South Boston on Thursday. I need to look @ a map but I "think" they're might be a good alternate to taking Rte 58/big assed speed trap until we decide to drop down into Sparta.
Well, if it helps any, I am supposed to meet Bob at 95 exit104 @8:30.

Well, if it helps any, I am supposed to meet Bob at 95 exit104 @8:30.
See you guys Thursday evening in Sparta.

Do we have routes already planned like SEOR or will we just group up and figure it out each morning? Am I correct in assuming the Tail odd the Dragon and maybe the Snake will be destinations?

Do we have routes already planned like SEOR or will we just group up and figure it out each morning? Am I correct in assuming the Tail odd the Dragon and maybe the Snake will be destinations?
The Dragon tends to not be a destination; too many better, less congested roads out there. ;)

I saw Bob mention he might want to do the Cherohala Skyway...so there's that.

The Dragon tends to not be a destination; too many better, less congested roads out there. ;)

Cool. Maybe we will run the Dragon when we head to the campground after spending Thursday night at my mother-in-law's in Black Mtn...we've never ridden it and I love getting commemorative t-shirts and it will hopefully be less crowded on Friday.

Cool. Maybe we will run the Dragon when we head to the campground after spending Thursday night at my mother-in-law's in Black Mtn...we've never ridden it and I love getting commemorative t-shirts and it will hopefully be less crowded on Friday.
Don't forget your dragon stickers Allen.

SR 9 north out of Bat Cave, NC, to Black Mountain is a fun road. My brothers then rode 80 north from Old Fort to the BRP and just loved it.

I'm still about 40-50% committed to go. Hope so!

A thought on the cops out on 58--they were out in force on Thursday & Friday wherever we went. I wonder if it being Memorial Day upped the enforcement...?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Dragon tends to not be a destination; too many better, less congested roads out there.
wink.png

I was looking at a loop that included the Cherohala and the Dragon. The Dragon would be later in the afternoon and picking it up from the TN side and then hitting 28.

I'd be good never riding the Dragon again. The congestion & law enforcement are redick. A few years ago I was riding it with my buddy, Travis (slapnpop). A bumblebee rider (sport bike) passed us on a blind curve & about took Travis's front tire out when the guy cut back in to avoid being smashed by oncoming vehicles. I've ridden it since then... but could actually give a good shit about riding it, again. Now, the Cherohala Skyway... I absolutely love that road. Bikes like the FJR are made for that road.

Latest posts