An XS Odyssey and props to MadMike!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm almost done! I re bled the front brakes this morning and buttoned everything back up. I wasn't able to get the electrical on the Vetter faring to work right, so I opted to just run without it for now. I'm to anxious to take the beast out on a test ride damn it! I fired her up and rode her out into the driveway proper (That can be classified as a test ride right? My feet were on the pegs :p ) and gave her a bath
DSC_4465.jpg

DSC_4467.jpg

DSC_4469.jpg

After the bath, I went in and geared up for the test ride. Not gonna ride this in a T-shirt and shorts :p Fired her up and something wasn't sounding right :unsure: Reved her a few times and something defiantly wasn't sounding right. So I shut her down and felt the exhaust pipes. 1 - cold. 2 - hot 3- hot 4 - cold. Damn. number 1 coils shorted out from the water. I'm gonna let her sit out in the driveway awhile catching some rays and see if things dry out enough that I can take a test ride later this evening before it gets dark.

Do ya think the Po-Po will mind 2004 tags? :rolleyes:
Watch out for them Po-Po Ray @~@

B)

I got a chance to test ride the XS this evening. After letting it sit awhile, the electrical dried out enough that she fired up and ran smooth again. To my surprise, fjronamission dropped by to check out the scoot and shoot the chit. So I fired up the XS for him, and we geared up and went for a short ride. Turns out the ol XS runs pretty well for an old scoot. The idle was a bit low, so she stalled twice at stops. I got a chance to run her thru the gears up and down, and everything in the tranny works as it should! :yahoo: :yahoo: However, she's getting a lot of blow by into the air box. Looks like the odyssey goes on. It looks like I'm going to have to split the case and re-ring her and possibly install new valve stem seals. That means the motor has to come out. Kinda makes me glad I didn't register and insure it yet :dribble: This one's gonna take some time.

The Odyssey continues :blink: :blink: :blink:

I saw it running, it looked like it rode just fine.

I think it has too much crankcase pressure, the blow by ended up in the airbox. could be valve seats or rings as Ray said.

either way.... the chase is still on.... but...... she rev'd up nice...... :>

B

All is not lost! I've found out, thru extensive research, that it's not uncommon for the rings to get gunked up and "stick" when they sit for a long time. I put about 30cc of Berrymans B12 in each cylinder and let it sit over night with the plugs in. Today, after a lot of fighting, I got her to fire up again and run smooth B) I was advised to run her for 500 miles to re-seat the rings and only after that should I worry about any stray oil usage or dripage. She's back on the road to recovery! :good:

Yesterday I decided to tackle the electrical problems that I've been having with the Vetter faring that's been hanging on the wall since I took it off the XS way back when. When I was looking at it, I noticed that the 9 pin connector was broken. I used a multi-meter to test the connections and it showed that the pins weren't all making the proper connections. So I opted to head down to Radio Shack and pick up a set of 9 pin connectors. I pulled the entire harness out of the fairing and re-wired the connectors. I crimped and soldered all of the connections for longevity and installed the wires in the connectors. I reinstalled the Vetter fairing with the repaired wiring harness, and low and behold, everything worked exactly as it should B) She was about ready to go with the exception of tags and insurance.

Today, from work, I called my insurance agent and faxed over the required particulars and got the XS covered for a measly $160 a year with medical and uninsured motorist and some extra medical coverage for myself. After work I headed over to AAA to get the bike registered. I was expecting to see long lines at the DMV counter there since it's a Friday, and a 3 day weekend and about 4pm. It must have been fated to be, since I walked in expecting to see a 20 person line like the last time , and there wasn't a SINGLE person in line! I was in and out in under 10 minutes, tags in hand. When I got home I pulled the XS out to with the intent of heading down to the gas station to fill her up. I was getting tired of looking at that red fuel light on the tach telling me I was running on fumes. It was a bit tough to get her to fire, but when she did, she ran OK. So I geared up and headed out to cover the 5 blocks to the gas station. I was sure to put the new tags on before heading out, and stored the proof of insurance and registration under the side cover like it's suppose to be. If I get stopped, I want to be legal. It would be just my luck to forget to put the tags on the bike and get pulled over by a po-po that didn't get laid last night.

I got to the gas station and she was still sounding OK, even tho the idle had dropped almost to the point of dieing at stops. I'd have to rev the engine a bit to keep from stalling. I tossed in a half can of Sea Foam and fueled her up with premium and headed for home. On the way home, I noticed the bike was smoking a fair bit so I parked in the driveway and took my dog to the park. "I'll worry about it later" I thought. When I got home from the park, I figured I'd go for a short ride and see if I could seat the rings a bit, and possibly blow out some of the cobwebs in the engine. I wound up heading down city streets all the way to Cupertino where my father lives. So I stopped by for a short visit with my pops and to adjust the idle that had crept up from near stalling to about 1500 rpm over the course of the ride. I think the cobwebs are clearing!

After a nice visit with my pop, I got real brave and decided to try the freeway home. I got on the on ramp and wicked her up, and she roared to life and jumped up to about 70. I really don't know how fast I was going since the speedometer is sticking at the moment. It was reading 15 mph when I was doing at least 40 down Stevens Creek earlier. I varied the speed up and down changing the load on the engine. I rode about 7 miles on the freeway before jumping back to city streets and heading for home. In all I put about 25 miles down in and around town this evening.

The nice thing is I didn't notice any smoking at all this trip. I pulled her back into the back again so I can re-tune the bike again since things are starting to clear up in the fuel system. Tomorrow sometime, I'll color-tune the carbs again, and re synchronize the throttle bodies again.

The worst problem during the entire ride was rider induced. I kept forgetting to turn the fuel back on after I stopped. I'll never learn! :cray:

:clapping: Good job, Ray! :clapping:

While you are learning to remember to turn the fuel on....also consider that bike has a rather small gas tank. Around 95-100 miles the red light will warn you that you have about 1 gallon of usable fuel reserve....or 40+ miles...then you're walking. I'm guessing that bike is not fun to push. :eek:

The worst problem during the entire ride was rider induced. I kept forgetting to turn the fuel back on after I stopped. I'll never learn! :cray:

Bravo~ :yahoo:

Productive afternoon~

m'sure Pops is proud of you too~ (next time tell him Hi from me~)

:)

Way cool Silent! Good for you! I agree with the rings seating. I had a 4-cylinder CB 750, 75 vintage, bought for 300 USD after it had been sitting for many years. Did pretty much all you've done, and after about 2 weeks of back and forth and finally one good, ahem, 'load' test, the engine quit puking blue out of the pipes and all great from that point forward and boy oh boy is this one long run on sentence, I wonder where JB is to make comments? :lol:

Way cool Silent! Good for you! I agree with the rings seating. I had a 4-cylinder CB 750, 75 vintage, bought for 300 USD after it had been sitting for many years. Did pretty much all you've done, and after about 2 weeks of back and forth and finally one good, ahem, 'load' test, the engine quit puking blue out of the pipes and all great from that point forward and boy oh boy is this one long run on sentence, I wonder where JB is to make comments? :lol:
Thanks Don B) Good to hear there's hope. I didn't want to split the cases and re-ring the motor. And after last nights test ride, I doubt I'll have to :yahoo:

I think you have to many comas in that running sentence to incite the wrath of the JB punctuation police :p

:clapping: Good job, Ray! :clapping:
While you are learning to remember to turn the fuel on....also consider that bike has a rather small gas tank. Around 95-100 miles the red light will warn you that you have about 1 gallon of usable fuel reserve....or 40+ miles...then you're walking. I'm guessing that bike is not fun to push. :eek:
I might just carry a 5 gallon Jerry can strapped to the sissy bar :p And you're right, she's no fun to push, but she does roll easier than my FJR B)

Actually, once I have the bike running up to snuff, I'll run a few tanks and find the limit. If need be, I can always carry a gallon of fuel as an emergency reserve in the side bag. If it gets to be to big of a problem with the small tank, I have a source for the 'standard' tank and petcocks (holds about a gallon or so more fuel than the 'special' for those that don't know the XS) and I already have a 'standard' seat sitting with the rest of the parts B)

Last edited by a moderator:
...and boy oh boy is this one long run on sentence, I wonder where JB is to make comments? :lol:
bld120183.jpg

Well, I guess better a run-on sentence than a run-on mouf....

And oh yea, Silent: Let me know if you need me to come on down there and show you how to fanuckle the fluddlemeyer or anything, uh, like that..... :blink:

JB

P.S. In case you didn't know, the front forks have oil in'em, and it needs changing every 60,000 miles give or take. Not sure if the rear forks have oil or need changing though.

DSC_4465.jpg

Um, is it supposed to have plants growing out the bottom? Is that some kind of accessory?

And what's that on the ground?! That's not water, is it? Wait a minute. You didn't wash it, did you? Did you? That's it. You're not my friend anymore. :angry:

And what's that on the ground?! That's not water, is it? Wait a minute. You didn't wash it, did you? Did you? That's it. You're not my friend anymore. :angry:
Umm I would't do that, we had a main water line break.. Yea! That's wut happened! A main line broke and soaked the driveway!

That's my story and I'm stickin to it! :rolleyes:

I've been reading this thread for awhile and just had to put in my $.02.

Great read. Great little adventure. Makes me want to try and find a used '78 Honda 750K.(My first love)

Thanks for the ride along. Felt like I'd been there without getting my hands dirty.

Once she's really up and running, you'll never get that grin off your face.

Mark

Been following the saga, myself. Great read, Silent. Good job on that XS, too. Kinda special since it was madmike's, as well.

I didn't buy the XS11, but bought my first brand new bike while considering it, the Honda and the Kwak. I bought a new '78 Suzuki GS 1000EC in the box in '79 (this purchase replaced my '75 Z1 that I sold while going thru the first D) and almost immediately put a Vetter Windjammer fairing on it (making it my first faired bike). Black, like Mike's (uhhh . . . YOUR) XS.

You're really bringing me back to some great times. Maybe the bikes weren't quite as sophisticated as today, but gas was a lot cheaper and there's a lot to be said for being in your late 20s.

Just got back from a 120 mile ride on the XS. That makes 150 for today. I'm guessing she's back B) My Route

:yahoo: