Aux Fuel Cell Plumbing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txvoyager

Reaction score
I just purchased all of the plumbing parts for my upcoming fuel cell install. I chose 5/16" for the lines and fittings as this seems to be the consensus of the forum. The vendor is out of the 5/16" inline valves and sent me a 1/4" instead (although he has offered to take it back and ship the correct one when he get them in). Any thoughts as to if I am good to go, or if there is enough difference in this fitting to want to ensure that everything is 5/16"?

TIA...

I used a 1/4" NPT ball valve with a 5/16" hose barb and all 5/16" Tygon hose and it works just fine.

When I built tanks for dcarver and myself, I ordered ball valves with 1/4 NPT fittings. The pipe that would screw into fittings of that size thread would have an ID of appoximately .364" When I recieved the valves, I was surprised to see that they shared the same ball and seat as the valves with the 1/8 NPT fittings. This meant that the fuel was going to be restricted inside the valves to appoximately .250"

I included the same valves with the Tag-Along Tanks, but with the 1/8" NPT fittings.

I tried to use 5/16" throughout, but ended up with 1/4" restriction in the valves. So far, I have heard no complaints about any flow issues.

1/4" no problem if pressurized. I'm using 1/4" on a gravity system and it's kind of slow.. I'm converting to 5/16.

As long as it flows slightly faster than the engine uses it, who cares :p

Be carefull on the hose. The first time I used new 5/16" hose from the local parts house and the shitty fuel ate it up and clogged the disconnect fitting leaving me stranded on a mountain pass in freezing weather That's when I went to the Tygon hose. It is more flexible and doesn't care what you put through it.

I just purchased all of the plumbing parts for my upcoming fuel cell install. I chose 5/16" for the lines and fittings as this seems to be the consensus of the forum. The vendor is out of the 5/16" inline valves and sent me a 1/4" instead (although he has offered to take it back and ship the correct one when he get them in). Any thoughts as to if I am good to go, or if there is enough difference in this fitting to want to ensure that everything is 5/16"?

TIA...
Hey txvoyager,

Maybe a plumber will chime in with the definitive answer, but I think that...

The maximum flow rate will be determined by the smallest portion of the system. The 1/4 inch fitting seems like the narrowest part, so I'd lean toward agreeing to let the vendor send you the 5/16 fitting when available, if it were me.

Good luck,

Shane