Commuting Farkles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadsafrantic

Reaction score
hey all,

i am planning to puchase an 06-07 and wonder which farkles would be your minimum needs as just a commuter at this point? will be doing about 75-80 miles per day, mostly freeway with sf bay area lane splitting in the afternoons. maybe some 2 up touring down the road.

thanks

d

Minimum farkles? That's easy. Nothing.

Now if you want to enjoy the ride a bit more, XM helps pass the time B)

I ride my bike to work in the same fashion I day-ride or tour....EXCEPT....I only use the top case leaving the side cases at home. Lane sharing gets close quarters sometimes. :blink:

I have a secure place to park my bike at work so I don't have to lock up my riding gear. My work "stuff" fits in the top case. If I had to lock my riding gear I'd leave the side cases on. IIRC, James Burleigh commutes in the East Bay (Concord area to Berkeley) with his side cases installed.

Er...uhm...touring mode is with all farkles installed: radar detector, GPS w/ buit-in XM radio, driving lights, hydration unit, etc., etc., etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
XM or some other means of pumping tunes to your head. Long way with nothing on your mind.

you may want some heated grips and some means of hooking up heated clothing. One thing for sure, get and carry a rain suit.

I live in Bay Area also and commute from Clayton to San Leandro. In order to stay warm during the winter months, I have a Gerbings heated jacket liner and heated gloves. My Helibars make a difference also.

I have the Jensen radio, which helps with traffic reports, etc. I have a top case, and most of the time the side bags are off, makes it easier in the city. And the top case has an LED brake like and a flasher module.

+1 on the safety farkles: a Backup XP and dual LED license plate frame from Signal Dynamics, plus an admore for the trunk box if you get it, plus reflector stickers for the rear and side on your side bags. Plus replace the stock horn with Freeway Blasters and FJ randy's harness.

Other farkles: Motoport Kevlar mesh gear (jacket/pants/gloves)

Do this before spending $$ on GPS, starcom, seats, or other stuff.

I commute the South Bay almost every day. A good GPS (Garmin FTW!) is all I had on for the first year. Never know when you'll need to make a weird construction detour around here.

hey all,
i am planning to puchase an 06-07 and wonder which farkles would be your minimum needs as just a commuter at this point? will be doing about 75-80 miles per day, mostly freeway with sf bay area lane splitting in the afternoons. maybe some 2 up touring down the road.

thanks

d

I do about fifty commuting miles a day on my FJR. So far I have added:

1) EZPass (toll transponder)

2) Auxiliary headlights mounted under the mirrors

3) Fuse box under the seat for eventual heated gloves (my aux headlights are also wired in here)

4) Taller windscreen for winter riding (stock shield is on now)

5) BackOff XP brake light modulator

6) Givi E55 + brake light kit (also modulates)

7) Kisan Signal Minder (mostly for the hyperflash on the turn signals and converting the rear flashers to running lights)

I am still wondering where to mount the GAU-8 Avenger.

Heated gloves so I can ride all year, rain gear in case I get to work dry but it's raining when it's time to go home, I carry a kickstand puck for parking in the lot because the asphalt is soft in the summer and I carry a bike cover to protect the bike from the sun cause it out in the environment all day.

I do about fifty commuting miles a day on my FJR. So far I have added:
1) EZPass (toll transponder)

2) Auxiliary headlights mounted under the mirrors

3) Fuse box under the seat for eventual heated gloves (my aux headlights are also wired in here)

4) Taller windscreen for winter riding (stock shield is on now)

5) BackOff XP brake light modulator

6) Givi E55 + brake light kit (also modulates)

7) Kisan Signal Minder (mostly for the hyperflash on the turn signals and converting the rear flashers to running lights)

you may need to do a sidecazr for the avenger

Other farkles: Motoport Kevlar mesh gear (jacket/pants/gloves)
Do this before spending $$ on GPS, starcom, seats, or other stuff.

Agree! If your farkling $$ are limited, start with the best gear you can afford. If any of your commute is in poor visibility, get some dorky looking hi-viz stuff. I have a neon green jacket which certainly gets seen. Nine months out of the year, both my AM and PM commutes are in the dark.

1) ATTGATT

2) Topcase

3) Ipod and earbuds that fit under helmet comfortably

That's just a minimum in my book

Also reccommended...

1) Headlight modulator

2) Upgraded Seat

Just my 0.02

You don't mount the GAU-8 to the FJR, you mount the FJR to the GAU-8. Ammo would be a bit of a problem. May I sugest the GAU-2B/A instead. Quite up to traffic management taskes. You may lose your side bag space for ammo.
At least be sure to remove the flash supressor. You do want to be seen after all.

Latest posts