Covered Bridges of New Hampshire 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terribly sorry for those who won't make the 10th. (I'm still unlikely, but haven't been able to confirm.) However, for those able to join on that date, Saturday's rain-out may not be a bad thing... I'm absolutely certain the color hasn't peaked yet.

I made a 300 mile loop today up around Lake Winnipesaukee. That's mostly 30-40 miles northeast of much of the Bridges ride, though I was within 10 miles at one point. And honestly, there really wasn't that much color yet. There were a few trees really dramatically "afire," but on balance, everything was still really green.

According to this Flash-based map, next weekend may be far better. (The map wasn't terribly accurate for today, but the color will still improve with a little aging.)

Another note: I'm still a rookie in this region. I went on New England Riders to choose this route, and was fairly unimpressed with the tour (compared to our White & Green Mountains route a few weeks back. Wow!) I've got to remember to make routes that stay primarily off the main, numbered highways, which are generally congested and boring. (I did find some great roads, and ended up on some dirt today, though! Thought of you, Mike & George.)

Hoping I can make the Bridges ride with all of you. I think you're going to love it.

Since next weekend was a 3 day weekend already I was looking to extend it by a few more days and take a ride out to west Virginia since I heard some good things about the area at EOM. I had a good time last time riding with everyone, and really wanted to do this ride so if weather permits this ride to take place on Sat the 10th I can take a little detour (a couple hundred miles in the wrong direction lol) ride the bridges and then just head west from there. Weather will be the factor in which direction my ride begins.

I'm up in NH right now and the weather is less than great (sucks). I rode a little bit of the route yesterday and you ride through areas of great color and then all green. Next weekend will have better color but will also have a ton more cagers. I'm trying to change a few plans around to ride next weekend but right now it doesn't look good.

There may be a window of not completely awful weather early afternoon tomorrow. I'm going to head up to Fiddleheads and be there at 11:30 tomorrow. If anyone is interested in getting out for three or four hours, meet me and we'll head out - probably up Rt123 to the river and then up the Vermont side on Rt 5. See how far we get before the next front moves through.

You're right. It looks like between 10AM and 1PM is about it though. Then they are calling for more of the wet stuff. I can't join you this time anyway though, Dan. I'm headed down south on Sunday for a week of exciting meetings in Florence, SC. :blink: Worst part is... we won't even have any time set aside to bring along (and use) the golf clubs. :angry: There are some really good courses in Myrtle Beach, just up the road. But they have a full schedule planned for us, so no joy.

And the long range forcast for next weekend's ride isn't looking that great either!!

It's all a big conspiracy I tell ya. Blame it on Algore.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's making me crazy. I've been cooped up being nurse for my wife who had a total hip replacement four weeks ago and, since she's mobile enough now, I can get out of the house for a little while. I'm beyond caring about getting wet. Not trying to usurp the ride just looking for someone else as stupid/desperate as I am. :dribble:

Took the BKING!!! It was freaking awesome!! 250 miles... loved every minute of it!! Im getting one.... its still in my garage actually... lol... left the FJR at my buddys as collateral. Maybe he will forget about it and keep the FJR....lol...

Mike

Yep, I'm in Florence SC, just up the road from Myrtle Beach, on buisness. Weather down here has been sucky FWIW.

And I (obviously) do have interwebs access from my hotel room. Been watching the weather forcasts closely for this weekend. It does look like Sunday is going to be the better of the two days, but Saturday will probably be OK too. I am open to running the ride on either day. So which day would the most folks be able to make it?

After having to bail out from last weekend, I imagine the numbers will be much subdued from the initial responses.

So you guys tell me when you wanna go and I am at your service(s)!!

I am out for this weekend but heard that peak foliage in Rangeley,ME was Tuesday so it should be real good for this weekend for the ride.

Julie and I can do Saturday, but not Sunday.

I must admit, the forecast mentioning the lows being in the low-30's is giving me flashbacks.

I've been waffling on this one but am now in for Saturday. :yahoo:

I got a room at "Crotched Mountain Resort in Francestown" for Friday and Saturday night.....and no, I didn't just make that up, that is actually the name of the place. :lol:

Ooh, just rechecked the forecast.

It seems the cold nights (and early mornings) won't kick in until Sat. night/Sun. morning.

Should be at least 50 deg. when leaving the house Sat. morning.

We may have to ride out of the tail end of the poopy weather to get there, but it looks like it'll be nice up there for the day!

Axe, my avatar was taken from the top of Crotched Mountain. What time are you planning to ride up to Francestown?

NOAA's best guess for Sat:

% 12 hr rain chance, 8:00 am to 8:00 pm:

Rain12hr.jpg

Temperature, 8:00 am:

Temp8am.jpg

Temperature 2:00 pm:

Temp2pm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan, it depends on what time I pick the bike up in RI and how much meandering I do but I'm planning on making it to The Crotch before dusk so I can actually see where I'm going. I'm guessing around 5:00 or so.