Different take on air box modification

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Screw that airbox BS....that's what THESE are for --

RU-2520.jpg
So do it!

07FJRebay1.jpg
What makes you think I haven't????? :D :D :D
Yo Steve-Orino, jimmykick GreggieM in the apple sacks already!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe taking it out periodically during the filter's service life and turning it around would yield the same results?

The even dirt accumulation is a good sign. What Skooter, others, and I noticed was that before air box modification dirt accumulated on the back end of the filter, while the front(blocked by inlet tube) remained relatively clean. The evening of accumulation shows that the mod is exposing more of the filter to incoming air, which should allow the throttle intakes easier access to the air.
Maybe not. Imagine this:

The dirty air comes racing into the airbox and accelerated through the snorkle on the left end. Some of it continues along nearly straight ahead to cylinders 3 and 4 intakes, and the air gets properly filtered as it passes. But half of the air coming through the snorkle gets sucked back towards Cylinders 1 and 2. Since it has to make nearly a 180 degree turn, with air being as light as, well.. air, it is able to do no problem. But those relatively porky dirt particles can't cut the G's to make the turn and still end up off road on the right side of the filter.

IOW, maybe you get the same amount of air passing thru the entire surface of the filter, but the dirt only ends up on the right side?

Maybe not. Imagine this:

The dirty air comes racing into the airbox and accelerated through the snorkle on the left end. Some of it continues along nearly straight ahead to cylinders 3 and 4 intakes, and the air gets properly filtered as it passes. But half of the air coming through the snorkle gets sucked back towards Cylinders 1 and 2. Since it has to make nearly a 180 degree turn, with air being as light as, well.. air, it is able to do no problem. But those relatively porky dirt particles can't cut the G's to make the turn and still end up off road on the right side of the filter.

IOW, maybe you get the same amount of air passing thru the entire surface of the filter, but the dirt only ends up on the right side?
I went through the exact same mental process you did Fred. But even if that is what is going on, one side of the filter is getting 'dirtier' and therefore more restrictive. In my brain, logic dictates that an air filter 'should' get dirty in a fairly uniform manner.

Latest posts