Do you ever get the urge to try something totally different?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh come on Guys!!!

STOP IT!!! :angry01:

I try my best not to scratch that itch by avoiding going to ADVRider...and telling myself (lies) that the FJR is

the only bike I need. Then you bring that crap over here to the FJR forum. I too grew up on dirt roads and

love em. I take my wife's Pathfinder out on the dirt roads around here and play like I'm a Baja racer. Here

in southern New Mexico and I have almost endless miles of unpaved. The FJR is paid for...and I never thought

about it this way...Why not get a nice used dual sport and make fun!!! :dribble:

When I have to explain it to my wife...I'm blaming y'all!

Before spiraling out of control, reflect on what's missing in your internal self. It's often an effort to fill an internal void that is the root cause of this spiral of disatisfaction in someone's life. Seek enlightenment from within instead of material posessions from without for a more enduring result.
+1! :clapping:

Not to say that we don't all suffer from it, I sure do. But, it is important to make sure the real stuff is in there first.

Before spiraling out of control, reflect on what's missing in your internal self. It's often an effort to fill an internal void that is the root cause of this spiral of disatisfaction in someone's life. Seek enlightenment from within instead of material posessions from without for a more enduring result.
lama13607_wideweb__470x344,0.jpg

Hmm, I'm closer to buying a sport bike than an adventure bike, but I've looked at both. Of course I've also toyed with the idea of base jumping. Wife says that's out of the question though. And then there's the part of me that wants to find a way to buy and old F15 some day... Yeah, I have a dozen or more things I want to try. As many have noted though, the primary limitation is money. Or, in the case of the motorcycles, space in the garage.

Ok ok I admit it I have been jerkin off to pictures of that new f800gs, damn kool aid drinkin krauts. I don't stand a chance relying on reason or self disipline either I'm trying to explain to my wife why I need one for a solo trip to AK/YT and she fires back with "can we get 2 so I can go" :blink: :dribble: . shite I'm fooked! Not that I can even afford 1 let alone 2. Better really start pushing side jobs.

Between that bike and an insatiable wanderlust I don't stand a chance.

And it all started with this damn FJR

We need an official support group. oh yeah we already have one :rolleyes:

I find myself victim...

I want a dirt bike. I admit it. And since I don't plan on hauling a bike to wherever I can ride, I guess I want a dual sport. I used to have a CL100, and before that a CT70. I'm not sure how powerful of an dual sport I need, I had a good deal of fun riding an XL 175, although the speedometer was busted and we never took it 'on road' so I don't know if it has the grunt to run highway speeds...

And on other days, I want a sportbike...

I think someone needs to invent 'bike in can' or something like that. Like a pack of 3 cans: Liquid Sport Bike, Canned Touring Bike, and Bottled Dirt Bike, Mix any 2 cans for desired hybrid. CAUTION: adding all 3 cans to the same tank of gas may result in serious injury, death, or an R6 with dirtbike tires and a Lazy-Boy for a seat.

Seek enlightenment from within instead of material posessions from without for a more enduring result.
Seek enlightenment from within...

...from within...

I'm not sure enlightenment originates from within.

... like I would know what enlightenment is!

:lol:

I seriously need to get rid of all computer internet technolgy at work and at home. I think surfing the Net is turning me into a real Fanatic. Seems like everytime I buy something I have to buy the best possible thing then 6 months to a year later I find myself wanting to try something different. Lately I have been spending alot (To Much) time over on the ADVRider forum. Well looking at these pictures of guys riding to Alaska, Baja Mexico etc has me itching to buy me a ADV bike. Looking at some of the photo's they post on the Ride forums are incredible. I must admit I have loved every mile on my FJR. I have spent close to $5k if not more on Farkles for my 07AE and it's a joy to ride but sometimes while I am Flyin down the Freeway I see this Dirt road or trail just calling my name wanting to be ridden. I think I have a serious problem here. Maybe it's the "I want what I don't have SYNDROME." Anyone else get this or is it just me? Wish I could afford both bikes. Decisions, Decisions.
After 35 bikes or so I have ended up with the two best.......FJR and 06 KLR.......these cover both ends of the spectrum. There are better dirt bikes, lighter and nimbler, but all around the KLR wins. The other lighter and nimbler dual sports get that way with air cooling or little gas tanks, after that big tank on the FJR you won't be happy with any less than the 6 gallons on the big K. Big and simple the K is simply sublime on two lane twisties or fire roads, you can throw it around at will, and in the slow stuff it actually is more fun than the FJR. You can haul the KLR around in the back of a truck, and I took mine up to Oregon a couple summers back and just had a blast with it, the best of all worlds. Air conditioned cruise control luxury on the boring slab and then unleash the beast for a run to the beautiful Oregon coast. KTM's and Beemers might be better, but you will eventually dump something out there in the brush, you will cry a lot less, and be able to fix up one of Mama Kaws scoots a whole lot cheaper than that Euro trash................buy one (cheap !) and finish your assimilation.............

There's at least one good reason for having a short inseam.... I can't ride the talllll ADV bikes..... Ok, I could ride them, but not pick them back up after I fall down go boom every stop! Let alone needing a ladder to get back up on the seat... :lol:

I also read ADVrider way too much..... but I did see where someone put dirt tires on his Harley Softail Deuce ( I have one of those!) and rode to Alaska.....hmmm......

If the answer came from within, it's would be...RIDE ON!

Mary

I hate that G-d Dam ADV. RIDER site. It 'MADE' ride to Alaska.

And, than it 'MADE' me buy a KLR. Who knows what it it will make

me do next.

After 35 bikes or so I have ended up with the two best.......FJR and 06 KLR.......these cover both ends of the spectrum. There are better dirt bikes, lighter and nimbler, but all around the KLR wins.

I agree with you on the FJR, but not on the KLR, which is underpowered, and too heavy for dirt/mud/sand. But it's a fact that every self-respecting motorcyclist must own one bike for asphalt, and another for the dirt. So, with the FJR almost sufficiently farkled, I am now window-shopping for an enduro. My wife is talking d.i.v.o.r.c.e. because of it, but I think she's bluffing! :lol:

You can buy a used dual sport bike for chump change. I purchased in November a 2006 Suzuki DRZ 400-s with 1184 miles on it, plus it already had an fmf exhaust and acerbis hand gaurds.......brand new condition by the way.......for 2800.00.

A bud of mine just put on craigslist atlanta a 4k mile 95 klr 250 dual sport for 1400.00. and another guy I know just sold a 2004 , 6000 mile klr 650 with some extras for 2000.00.

you do not have to sell one bike to get another, used nice condition dual sports are out there by the dozens.

Yeah me too

I have a Honda CRF 450F in the garage that gets me that off road fix, but some times it a bitch to get it loaded on the trailer or in the back of the pickup.

I was watching this show on spped channel yesterday Two Wheel Trippin, and the host and his fellow riders were on Buell Ulysses , I think thats the spelling. They went off road with these heavy bikes and they did quite well. Anything Harley isn't my cup of tea though.

Good luck with your Jonesin

Ordrock

Ah, Grasshoppers, the key to happiness (and some financial stability) is wanting what you already have!!!

Having said that, I too have read that other damn forum, and have the lust for another bike, probably the DL 650 wee strom. That itch is getting worse, with an Alaskan trip on the schedule for 2010. Absolutley love the FJR, and getting a new seat will only help, but would like to ride it to Alaska, and then wave a wand and make it a dual sport for the ride up the Haul Road. Where's that magic dust?

I've pared back to 4 bikes, and I think even this may be too many for my location. We have days every month when we can ride comfortably, but in November through March, there are more days that aren't good for riding than there are good riding days, and so I try to make sure that every bike gets a ride at least once a month, and sometimes two or three times if weather cooperates. The more bikes I have, the harder it is to do this.

For me, I like to have one for sport touring (the FJR currently), one for whacky pull your arms out of their sockets fun (the K1200Rsport currently), one for noodling around and maybe even some off-road stuff (a supermoto currently), and one for the old style SBRP (standard British riding position - currently and seemingly forever my 1970 Royal Enfield Interceptor). I could see adding another legitimate dual purpose bike (although I've had a few and they always end up getting traded or sold), and maybe a legitimate dirt bike in the 250 pound range, like the Honda CRF450 (I think that's the designation for their water cooled four stroke dirt/enduro style bike). I haven't yet gotten the bug for a cruiser, but I understand why other people want them.

One bike is not enough for all purposes... but more bikes becomes an increasing burden as you try to keep all of them "current" on gas, battery, tires, maintenance, etc.

You can buy a used dual sport bike for chump change. I purchased in November a 2006 Suzuki DRZ 400-s with 1184 miles on it, plus it already had an fmf exhaust and acerbis hand gaurds.......brand new condition by the way.......for 2800.00.
GA CR I think you hit it on the head... I've often suggested to people that if you want to scratch that off-road itch and not bust the bank go buy a DRZ 400S. Best deal on two wheels. I personally ride (and race) a plated, late model WR450F if you want a little more zip... or get a Katoom 525... or maybe a red CRF450... and the new husky's are looking good... ahhh to little time, too many bikes. :p

I can definitely relate (see signature). I'd really like a Ducati 1198 now, but I would still have to have the other two bikes because they all serve a purpose. But I really can't afford a divorce right now!

Latest posts