FJR Tire Wear - Is this normal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put these on last September, before a week long ride up to twisty heaven in NC/TN. Didn't see anything before I left for a trip to Key West this past weekend, with a couple of forum members here. 10,000 miles at this point, which was better than the regular BT23's it came with. PoPo pulled me over on the way back up, and warned me that I'll probably die if I continue on. Nursed it back at 60mph the last 150 miles.

Fred, maybe we could trade tires, and get another 5,000! :)

Hey, my thread made NEPRT!
punk.gif

Now this is the way....tires are supposed to wear out..Another set of PR2's give up their soul in the Church of the Twisty Road..

HeeHee - Take that RadioHowie!
I luv you man!
air_kiss.gif

It's alwayz refreshing to see someone who actually rides! This obviously this ain't no Bring Mor Wallet forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
punk.gif
OMG! Looks just like mine did last July! Ok, maybe a little more wear on the right side, but heavily threadbare on the left. New PR2's installed.

Mine came from a 400 mile jaunt on Hwy 3, 36, 299 and 96 in N.Ca. for my birthday last year. Mostly 'at speed' banked curves. Freeking awesome roads.

I think the left side wear comes from hitting left curves faster/harder because you can see around them further. Inside curves have you trying to see through trees! Have to either back off a little or pray no deer or gravel. I back off...

PS- my mechanic says I'm insane. Just passing that on to you!
no.gif

Eventually Dave will realize you hang off the bike only on corners, not when making straight line Candy Butt highway rides.

This is how it should look before removing (jk I'm not always this lucky). Running hard on the sides when you are into the cords is pretty dangerous. Yes you'll get away with it 9 out of 10 times leading to confidence but that tenth time could end your riding career.

1.jpg

The thing is, all tires don't have the same amount of rubber left once you get past the wear bars.

I'd hate to go on a 300 mile day ride and halfway through start showing cord.

Also some tire wear a LOT faster than others once you get past the wear bars.