Gash In Oil Filter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Dog

Reaction score
Just checking to see if this has happened to anyone else. I went for a ride yesterday and something hit my oil filter and opened a thin gash which leaks. So i will change oil tonight. But it is just the wierdest thing because I didn't hear or feel anything hit the bike. Also there are some bad scrathes on the lower fairing. Threw oil on the shifter and sidestand so I can skip lubing them up for awhile :eek:

Sounds like that one should be chalked up to luck! I imagine the difference between a thin gash that leaks a little vs. a bigger hole where oils gushes out miles from civilization with a seized motor is considered VERY lucky.

Haven't had the filter touched, but I do have a crack in the middle finger of the lower fairing. Unfortunately, it was either the rabbit in Southern Utah at 1 a.m. or the sagebrush I mowed over doing my V-strom impersonation hours earlier in NE Utah.

No, it hasn't happened to me but I have pondered its susceptability to damage given its vulnerable location. I think than now we have evidence that road hazards, even minor ones, could cause a lengthy roadside delay, I will put a spare filter in the luggage. Thanks for posting, Blue Dog.

Time to think about that Fendah Extendah and radiator guard again <_<

A couple of years ago a pickup truck speeding through a road construction site threw a rock my way, hitting the frame of my Honda. It completely crushed the left front down tube and scared $hit out of me. Three inches further over and I would be missing an appendage.

This spring a car in front of me picked up a rock which managed to miss all of Feejer's plastic but it hit me directly on my fingers. I was wearing gloves so it only resulted in a cracked finger. I'm beginning to feel like a :hockey: goalie.

I never considered the oil filter to be vulnerable.

Alan

edit

==============

Warchild needs a whole new category of debris blocker for the vulnerable areas of his bikes since he goes after large organic objects. Heck, his driver's license needs a Fish, Game and Wildlife Management endorsement on it :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Was it a Yamaha filter; those filter cans are pretty stout. If it put a gash in the Yammie filter, I'm glad it didn't get you because it must have been a serious projectile. (sounds like one of those good luck/bad luck situations) Glad you're allright.

This may be an example of where an oil pressure switch would be better than an oil level switch. Assuming the pressure switch was on the output side of the filter it would immediately alert you to an oil flow problem. A level switch in the sump would most likely be slower in alerting you.

Our FJR's have an oil level switch. No doubt a cost saving for Yamaha.

Yet, oil system malfunctions in the FJR engine are probably extremely rare. An oil pump drive chain/sprocket failure or an oil filter failure are probably very, very rare.

Hmm...perhaps a K&N oil filter is in order...I have read they are made of a heavier gauge metal; plus the formed-in 'nut' on the end would take some abuse; (besides the obvious advantage at removal time....)

This may be an example of where an oil pressure switch would be better than an oil level switch.  Assuming the pressure switch was on the output side of the filter it would immediately alert you to an oil flow problem.  A level switch in the sump would most likely be slower in alerting you.
Our FJR's have an oil level switch.  No doubt a cost saving for Yamaha.
You have just explained to me why the oil indicator light doesn't stay on until the engine is started! I may have been having a brain farkle but I am used to the idiot light staying on until pressure builds up. Never gave a thought to them using a different sending unit. DUH! :clap:

Sounds like a lucky (unlucky) bounce on the part of the debris that gashed your filter. There has been a lot of miles put on a lot of FJR's by owners that frequent this site and this is the first time I have heard about this paticular type of damage. Although, that filter is close to the ground and it does sound reasonable to expect it to happen again. I'm curious if this has happened to anyone else and they just didn't report it? Good post, good "heads-up".

Don't feel bad Blue, that damn light has gotten just about everyone. Initiation complete.

Its vary rare but it does happen, your just one of the lucky ones.I quess the only thing you could really do would be to carry a spare

Thew way to avoid this potential issue: Foot Guards.

Though I realize they are atrociously expensive for Gen II bikes.

Thew way to avoid this potential issue: Foot Guards.
They don't do much for the look of the machine either IMHO.

W2
I seem to recall a Canadian forum member posting a link to a non-US (Euro??) Yamaha site that showed the foot guards were available color matched to the bike. I don't think I need them,and as Warchild said,they are attrociously expensive,so I didn't file the information for future use. A Google search would probably find that link,if you are interested. The black ones I've seen weren't very attractive,but I think color matched might look ok.

Mike

Just damn bad luck. You've had you're one and only filter problem, now go ride 180,000 trouble free miles on the Feejer!

This may be an example of where an oil pressure switch would be better than an oil level switch. Assuming the pressure switch was on the output side of the filter it would immediately alert you to an oil flow problem. A level switch in the sump would most likely be slower in alerting you.
I don't know? Many have reported over the years of this Forum (seems on-going..?) -- their red oil-light coming-on and them pulling over and stopping the engine to check it out. Seems to happen in a fairly punctual time-frame from all the reports?

And so have many Yamahas for about 30 years.... Maybe?, Yamaha would've satisfied many more Forum FJR riders by conforming to the riders' past experiences (oil pressure lights)...? I tend to think Yamaha had valid reasons for their engineering decision for an oil level indicator. I doubt that cost-saving was one, tho -- I tend to believe that the float and switch assembly in the sump costs considerably more than a simple pressure switch in an oil galley? :unsure:

I don't know? Many have reported over the years of this Forum (seems on-going..?) -- their red oil-light coming-on and them pulling over and stopping the engine to check it out. Seems to happen in a fairly punctual time-frame from all the reports?

And so have many Yamahas for about 30 years.... Maybe?, Yamaha would've satisfied many more Forum FJR riders by conforming to the riders' past experiences (oil pressure lights)...? I tend to think Yamaha had valid reasons for their engineering decision for an oil level indicator. I doubt that cost-saving was one, tho -- I tend to believe that the float and switch assembly in the sump costs considerably more than a simple pressure switch in an oil galley? :unsure:
+1.

An oil pressure switch would be set to come on at a pressure lower than what it is at idle. It would take a substantial leak to lower the pressure enough to cause a pressure switch to activate tooling down the road at 3500 RPM. Seems like a level switch would be better for a leak of any magnitude and a pressure switch would better cover pump failure or a plugged filter.