GPS file formats for EOM?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
Option-1

S&T v2008 (.est)

S&T v2007 (.est)

S&T v2006 (.est)

Most of the initial route building is done in MS Street & Trips 2006. I have yet to find a conversion program that works on v2008. So S&T files in 2006, 2007 & 2008 is readily possible.

Option-2

GPS Exchange (.gpx)

Garmin Database Version-3 (.gdb)

Garmin Database Version-2 (.gdb)

Garmin MapSource (.mps)

I typically run POIConverter against the S&T file to produce a GPX. Then that file is opened and calculated against current (2008) Garmin maps, cleaned up for route names etc. and resaved as all of the above.

Option-3

Garmin Database Version-1 (.gdb)

Using GPSBabel I have been successful at converting the Garmin GDB-V3 files to Garmin GDB-V1 format. Some of the older Garmin units, especially those no longer supported have requested this format.

Option-4

TomTom Itinerary (.itn)

Using TYRE, I can convert the GPX files to TomTom Itinerary format. I do not have a way to personally test these files.

[SIZE=14pt]Obviously, supporting and cleaning up all these formats represents a huge task. So I'm asking those planning to attend EOM to vote the poll so that I can determine what formats will actually get used, and where to initially focus my efforts.[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, my GPS is still supported! I just need to update my mapsource.

gpx files can be opened with every version of mapsource that I've owned. Makes it easy

Yahoo, Now I have great TriStar routes in NC, TN, and VA. It sounds like I'll have an intermediate stop on the way to try out fabulous new routes in W VA for EOM.

The benefits abound as next year's HSTA STAR has been moved to Staunton, VA. I'll be able to follow the advice to "Go West, young man!!"

Thanks for the Huge Effort, Jeff. I look forward to seeing and using your maps on my Zumo.

I like the Garmin hardware.... I've owned 4-5 Garmin GPS receivers. But Garmin has been incredibly stupid about their file formats. Every year or two they come out with a new one that is NOT backward compatible. It should not be this hard to share files. All of the manufacturers should come together and agree on one universal format, but Garmin can't even do it within their own stupid company.

Jeff, you're amazing for taking this on. :) Somebody should buy you a beer at EOM. :drinks:

My vote was GPX, because I have never had trouble with them and I have with other formats.

Not sure what format I use for my Garmin GPS V, but whatever you posted last year worked for me. Thanks for the hard work & efforts. -wr

I voted for gdb v2, but I don't really know what version mine uses. I use a Garmin 2720. I had no trrouble using gdb files other people sent to me in the past so I guess it doesn't matter.

Convert them to Google Map URLs. C'mon Jeff, get with the program! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Lee!

It was just last year that I spent several evenings in hotel rooms, re-plotting my WFO trip on a daily basis WITHOUT any Internet access. There seem to be so many places still remaining that you cannot get any Internet access or certainly cannot get decent bandwidth.

I think Google maps works great for people who mostly do day rides. But something like Street&Trips or even MapSucks (MapSource) on a laptop is a valuable tool for the serious traveler.

Maybe someday, but IMHO that day has not yet arrived.

:)

Sorry Lee!

It was just last year that I spent several evenings in hotel rooms, re-plotting my WFO trip on a daily basis WITHOUT any Internet access. There seem to be so many places still remaining that you cannot get any Internet access or certainly cannot get decent bandwidth.

I think Google maps works great for people who mostly do day rides. But something like Street&Trips or even MapSucks (MapSource) on a laptop is a valuable tool for the serious traveler.

Maybe someday, but IMHO that day has not yet arrived.

:)
But Jeff, these are day rides!

Just messin' with ya!

I redid all last year's routes in Google Maps and converted to TomTom since those formats were unavailable. Still got em, here's EOM 1

I can do the same this year and share if anyone needs them.

Jeff,

Send me the .pdf's of the maps and turn by turns say first or second week of September and I will print them in color, I am supposed to be printing the name badges any way. See if Jwilly will set up a down load (FTP) page on the registration site, then up load any or all formats necessary. I am stuck with a Magellan but isn't GPX the more universal format for GPS anyway?

Jay