How hard do you run your FJR, and how often?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did someone say FJ..? thet thar to the left, blessed with pretty Wifey astride, is one that I beat the shizzle out of for 19 years and it ran like new when I sold it at 100K...I run the FJR in a similar but less stupid fashion...gotta keep her cleaned out...

The frequency of red-line is exponentially correlated to the frequency of rear tire replacement.
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
What we should really ask is:
"Is there any correlation between those who regularly run their bikes above (say) 7K and those who find they need to adjust their valve clearances?".
Funny you should ask. Buttoned her up last night after this weekend's check at almost 60K miles and all still in spec. Several just barely but they haven't moved much if at all since the last check.

As much of a pain as adjusting valves is, I'd rather do it or pay to have it done than to spend all my time riding my bike like a ... well, I won't call names.
biggrin.png

For the OP's information, we are an irreverent and outspoken bunch. When we see a low post count combined with a semi-silly question... Well, we assume the worst and it shows.

So, if you are for real and are just curious about this motorcycle:

We are all individuals and we all do our own thing. There are so many personalities here and so many different riding styles that it would be impossible to say "We all ride like this..."

I never seem to ride mine the same way twice. It may poke along like a Harley on the Natchez Trace or it may be bumping the rev limiter through the first three gears. It depends on my mood, the road conditions, the attitude of the guy in the lane next to me, it just changes every second.

The FJR engine is tough, reliable and strong. Ride yours the way you want and if it wears out or breaks, get a new one.

This thread was really confusing to me until I realized it was not about riding "while" hard; which can be very difficult to do. Freewheelie's comment was particularly disturbing prior to my revelation. Carry on.....

This thread was really confusing to me until I realized it was not about riding "while" hard; which can be very difficult to do. Freewheelie's comment was particularly disturbing prior to my revelation. Carry on.....
I caution you that there are some folks who will be offended by your comment. For some of us, riding "while" hard is very difficult, if not impossible. For others, and by others I mean Gen1 and Gen 2 guys, it is really not a big problem.
smile.png

I always ride mine very gently, never exceed the speed limit, and always pull over to let others pass.

Or not.
bike.gif

As Redfish Hunter stated it is mostly about the mood I am in, and I can be a pretty moody guy. Some days If I am in the groove I have the need to air it out like dirty laundry and other days I ride in a more civilized fashion.

Regardless of what mood I am in, the FJR never disappoints.

Bags on-Bags off.

Enjoy!

Wow!....Who wants to ask a question on this forum?
Is that a question?

It's not like it hurts you if someone answers in a way yer not expecting. We aren't being rude or disrespectful...we are answering truthfully and the OP should take all our answers to heart.

We expect an answer from the OP to indicate how he/she rides...so we can determine whether we are doing this "riding the FJR" correctly.

For the OP's information, we are an irreverent and outspoken bunch. When we see a low post count combined with a semi-silly question... Well, we assume the worst and it shows.
So, if you are for real and are just curious about this motorcycle:

We are all individuals and we all do our own thing. There are so many personalities here and so many different riding styles that it would be impossible to say "We all ride like this..."

I never seem to ride mine the same way twice. It may poke along like a Harley on the Natchez Trace or it may be bumping the rev limiter through the first three gears. It depends on my mood, the road conditions, the attitude of the guy in the lane next to me, it just changes every second.

The FJR engine is tough, reliable and strong. Ride yours the way you want and if it wears out or breaks, get a new one.
+1 bazillion.

I caution you that there are some folks who will be offended by your comment. For some of us, riding "while" hard is very difficult, if not impossible. For others, and by others I mean Gen1 and Gen 2 guys, it is really not a big problem.
smile.png
Of course it's difficult for Gen III riders, I mean, without the use of modern medical prescriptions, most can't even find the hard.
biggrin.png

I caution you that there are some folks who will be offended by your comment. For some of us, riding "while" hard is very difficult, if not impossible. For others, and by others I mean Gen1 and Gen 2 guys, it is really not a big problem. :)
Of course it's difficult for Gen III riders, I mean, without the use of modern medical prescriptions, most can't even find the hard. :D
Hey, I resemble that remark.

I just idle everywhere I go. That way I'll save all of the excess wear on the motor I'd normally put on it if I actually rode it the way Mama Yama designed it to be ridden.

Seriously, I'm a former sportbike guy, so I like to hear the bike rev. I like to feel it pull. I like to lean it into corners. I like to run through the gears.

Maintain it and it'll reward you with years and tens of thousands of happy miles.

I would be more worried about where you ride than how hard you ride. When I was looking at FJRs, I looked at one that was rode to prudhoe bay and back.... It only had 20K miles on it but it felt odd. Worn.

Every bike I have owned I rode hard. My brother and I shared our first bike, he use to tell me he wanted to change the oil after every time I rode. Take care of them, maintain them, clean them when their are dirty, they will take care of you. Unless its a Harley or European, then you need to comes to terms with the fact its going to leave you on the road eventually.

Unless its a Harley or European, then you need to comes to terms with the fact its going to leave you on the road eventually.

I'm sorry, I'm feeling a little thick today. How do you mean "leave you on the road"?

Nevermind. Got it.

Unless its a Harley or European. Then you need to comes to terms with the fact its going to leave you on the road eventually.

I'm sorry if that was dickish. Not meant to be. I read it and was confused.