Mini Air Compressor

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the time being I'll just rely on my roadside assistance to handle the flat. I got it through my AMA membership ($39/yr).
More expensive than a compressor, but they'll pick up the whole bike - and me- if necessary. Plus American Motorcyclist magazine and a bunch of people fighting for our motorcycle rights.
Seems like you don't ride very far - like where there is no cell-phone coverage. If it works for you, good, but not for many.

For the time being I'll just rely on my roadside assistance to handle the flat. I got it through my AMA membership ($39/yr).
you must ride/live east of the mississippi river. waiting for assistance in some remote location in the heat/cold/rain can be hours and dangerous in some places.

FYI: I have a scavenged air pump 9cover stripped) with long cables and multiple choice connectors. I also have CO2 carts and their delivery system (faster inflation once the hole's found). I then have a Plug-N-Go kit with mushroom plugs as well as a sticky string kit (to handle different failures). All of this is stashed in an Eagle Creek "Quarter Cube" and stuffed in the side case.

https://www.eaglecreek.com/packing_solution...ter-Cube-41057/

41057-BK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
just recieved my cyclepump with no surprises. The unit does fit under seat easily (expecially if you only put one of the connectors in with it). I also thought it was worth mentioning that the fuse that comes with the battery hook cable is 15 amps.

Hopefully we'll never have to find out how well it works.

GreyGoose

I went to Home Depot, found a small unit, complete with a gauge from the HUSKY brand (I'm sure this is a generic Chinese unit), but it can be had under this brand at Home Depot. In it's plastic case it's a bit too big for under the seat. Take the guts out of the plastic box and it fits fine. I chose to leave it in it's plastic cover because it has a nice tuck in spot for the air hose and the power cord. It's made for a car, so the power cord is really long and bulky. I cut it to the length I need so what's left is easier to stuff into the packing space. I've tested it, and it works very fast, and stays cool. I already have lots of stuff under the seat, so there was no room anyway. There are lots of other places to stash it in the panniers, top box or tank bag...

This one has a cigaret lighter plug, but can easily be changed out to whichever one you use. I have my tank bag wired with both SAE and Cigaret so I left the stock one alone. it has a 15 amp fuse.

This thing really pumps fast. I like the attached dial gage, as I don't have to disconnect the secure screw on hose to check the pressure. I have tested it against my really good pressure gage several times, which lots cost more than the pump, and found it to be accurate.

The best thing...This gadget only cost $9.95 USD

One of these and a Stop N Go Pocket Tire Plugger Kit, and you're all set.

I went to Home Depot, found a small unit, complete with a gauge from the HUSKY brand <snip>

This thing really pumps fast. I like the attached dial gage, as I don't have to disconnect the secure screw on hose to check the pressure. I have tested it against my really good pressure gage several times, which lots cost more than the pump, and found it to be accurate.

The best thing...This gadget only cost $9.95 USD

One of these and a Stop N Go Pocket Tire Plugger Kit, and you're all set.
Cool. Nice that you found a pump that works for your needs at a great price. About that Stop N Go kit though, those mushroom tire plugs are temporary fix only. Consider adding some sticky strings, glue and the insertion and reamer tools to your kit, or perhaps better for moto use, a Dynaplug kit. Edit - The Dynaplug tool has failed to hold 3 times out of 3 repairs, so is no longer on my list of repair tools. Seemed like a good idea, just didn't bond with the tire.

HotRodZilla wrote

If you up the fuse size to run the pump off that outlet at all, you risk burning something up.

Just got my bike and am trying to farkle and set it up for me.I plugged a tyre compressor into the

glovebox and it promptly blew the fuse.

My mechanic recomended using a 15A fuse in place of the original fuse.

my question is based on the above statement and many others i've read that echo it,

What excatly will happen if you up the fuse size and run the pump.

Noob question i know but i havent found the answer.

Please dont tell me to try it and let you guys know what happens :p

i picked up some cheap yellow one from harbor freight, it lived at the bottom of my luggage for 5k miles of the Trans American Trail and still works great.

The Slime is a pretty strong compressor. Part of the nozzle that attaches to the valve did vibrate apart on the KLR. I've taped that while not in use. The compressor works great and is compact.

HotRodZilla wrote
If you up the fuse size to run the pump off that outlet at all, you risk burning something up.

Just got my bike and am trying to farkle and set it up for me.I plugged a tyre compressor into the

glovebox and it promptly blew the fuse.

My mechanic recomended using a 15A fuse in place of the original fuse.

my question is based on the above statement and many others i've read that echo it,

What excatly will happen if you up the fuse size and run the pump.

Noob question i know but i havent found the answer.

Please dont tell me to try it and let you guys know what happens :p
Well, I can't tell you exactly what will happen, because I honestly don't know. If the connections and wires are up to it and the use is minimal, there may never be any problems at all. However, if the connections and wires are not up to running much over the stupid 3amp POS fuse they put in that line, you risk melting or shorting something. This is especially true if you end up totally flat and have to get the tire back up to 40lbs with a mini pump. I donno if anyone has ever actually added a larger fuse to run a compressor, but it's a valid question. I'm kind of a chicken about things like that, so didn't even consider it.

My Slime compressor came with a fused connection that connects directly to the battery. I ran the wire so that it exits near the triple-tree, so when I need my compressor, I just plug it in. It's pretty convenient. I also have a marine-grade plug 'cigarette lighter' style plug that is mounted just below the rear 'point' on my right side faring. That plug has a 10 amp breaker and would run the compressor just fine if I wanted to plug it in there.

The plug can be found at any marine store and took about an hour to install, including taking off the fairing, taping and drilling the hole with a wood bit, and putting it all back together.

I have a COMP 04 Slime compressor that has served me well on the road. I have wired in a Powerlet socket through a Fuzeblock on the FJR and installed a Powerlet (BMW) plug on the compressor so it will work on my FJR as well as the old LT.

OBD

I picked up a "SLIM" model, knowing the 12 volt power outlet would not hold the current draw of the compressor I changed the plug for a set of alligators, a inline fuse so can hook straight to the battery. To pack it under the seat, I removed the outside case and packed in a rag to keep it sort of clean+ have CO2's in a pinch. My brother said it took him about 6 minutes to fully pump up his tire on his ST1100 when he used it.

keep on riding !!!

You might want to consider a T-handle allen wrench too, since you're going to need to remove the dash panels to get to the battery.

Being someone that actually has used the pump several times for my own repair and more often, to help others, having a outlet in the dash panel is really handy. Inline fuse, strait to the battery, unswitched power so no key on to air up tires.

Pulled over a State Trooper a couple of weeks ago, and it actually relates to this thread...

Was coming off the DC beltway in the HOV lane when I spotted a trooper letting the recipient of an HOV violation award leave. The trooper was getting into his car when I noticed his right rear was nearly flat. Knowing enough of these guys and how they may have to use their cars, he was just starting to move when I pulled in front of the guy with my flashers on and brought him to a stop. As I walked up to the driver's door, it was apparent that this was a relative noob and he was clearly puzzled about being pulled over by an old guy on a big maroon motorcycle while in his trooper-mobile. :blink:

Dang, that was fun. :yahoo:

Anyway & long story short, he was a really great kid who'd only been on the force a few months and had no idea that he had a tire flat. For all the road-edge debris these guys drive on, it was no surprise. I asked if he wanted to try to pump it up off the bike or change it and in his nice clean uniform, he said he'd be up for trying the pump.

Here's the point of relating this. My electric cord is separate from the pump and somewhere along the line the cord must've fallen off the bike. Glad to learn that it was missing when I wasn't alone at night and trying to leave the office in DC! The trooper laughed, said that he guessed somebody was trying to tell him something but he was still having a great day, and changed his tire. Wish I could bottle this kid's enthusiasm.

Moral of the story, check that you still have all the pump pieces occasionally.

I've been carrying the $10 Home Depot Husky unit on trips for a couple of years and it must work cuz I haven't had a flat. :rolleyes: Yet.

Question for all youse who have used a mini-compressor: do you run the m-c motor to charge the battery while using the pump? Will the m-c generate enough juice at idle to keep the battery up? Or will the battery support 5 to 10 minutes of pumping?

BTW, I still carry 3 CO2 cartridges just in case. Like condoms, you never know.

pete

Moral of the story, check that you still have all the pump pieces occasionally.
Wise words. I keep my tire repair stuff in a small cloth drawstring bag. Pump, sticky strings, glue, tools for plugging, a couple of alum. stubby tire irons that are also wrenches, (Motion Pro), and some spare valve cores and a tool for that.

Oh, for the Eastern boys, tar irons are the same as tire irons. If you're a Euro, tyre = tire. ;)

@na1g - I don't idle the bike. If your battery is ok, running the compressor for the necessary time won't cause any problems. I do have an unswitched power port though, so the key is not in the on position. (nothing else is powered). Tip - If you fire up the bike to use the compressor and then shut it down, remember to fully key off, then back on if you still need to use the compressor. Just hitting the kill switch after the bike has been running would leave your lights on, and that will drain the battery.