Official SW-FOG 2015 Announcement: 5/28-31, THU-SUN!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Erixun for some good ideas. We are hoping to be there a few days early and enjoy a couple extra days of riding. Coming through Salt Lake City area was one of my choices for route plans from ND.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG - It took me 2.5 hours to plow through these #535 posts! What a saga! Is anyone planning on riding down to Cedar via Salt Lake City? Just curious.
That's SOP for these events... 0.5% info, 99.5% bs...
laugh.png
Welcome aboard, Lydia... looking forward to see you there!
cool.png

Fixed it for ya Ty!

Is anyone planning on riding down to Cedar via Salt Lake City? Just curious.
Yep, kind of sord of. I live north of Salt Lake City and have been planning on attending the event. However I plan on taking a 'non-direct' route to the event. I was leaning towards more or less following this route: https://goo.gl/maps/X2Xhw. Also I have not decided if I want to do that route all on the 28th or leave on the 27th and stay overnight somewhere along the route. If I leave on the 27th and stay somewhere overnight (Most likely Torrey) that would leave me some more riding time to add some other miles in. Such as this: https://goo.gl/maps/EKnzD Cuz' Hwy 12 and 14 are fun roads and are not to be missed if you have the chance! (So is 143 above 14)
But I have not decided yet.
Neither of those google maps link for me, but I assume you are probably thinking maybe Wolf Creek...Indian Canyon...Energy Loop...Huntington...that kind of stuff? I've taken those roads and actually did a wonderful trip last summer into Torrey with a great group. Would be awesome to do that again. I haven't been along Hwy 12 on a bike yet, but I've heard stories - haha. (Did it in a cage years ago and still remember The Hogback!) I imagine coming over Hwy 14 and into Cedar will be nice - it could be iffy whether the Cedar Breaks NM road is open that early though. When I lived in Cedar, most of the locals figured that road wouldn't open till mid-June at the earliest.
These roads definitely beat slabbin it down I-15 - that's for sure!

(I don't think this is a ninja-friendly kind of a trip---will probably have to look into renting an 800GS if I get serious...hmmm...)

How's the snow pack in the high country of Utah? If it's as poor as the rest of the western US I doubt there will be many closed passes this year in late May.

See you in Cedar City.

How's the snow pack in the high country of Utah? If it's as poor as the rest of the western US I doubt there will be many closed passes this year in late May.
See you in Cedar City.
Pretty low until the last couple of weeks. Now it is between 80-125% of normal in southern Utah. Last I saw Brian Head had a 65" base.

Is anyone planning on riding down to Cedar via Salt Lake City? Just curious.
Yep, kind of sord of. I live north of Salt Lake City and have been planning on attending the event. However I plan on taking a 'non-direct' route to the event. I was leaning towards more or less following this route: https://goo.gl/maps/X2Xhw. Also I have not decided if I want to do that route all on the 28th or leave on the 27th and stay overnight somewhere along the route. If I leave on the 27th and stay somewhere overnight (Most likely Torrey) that would leave me some more riding time to add some other miles in. Such as this: https://goo.gl/maps/EKnzD Cuz' Hwy 12 and 14 are fun roads and are not to be missed if you have the chance! (So is 143 above 14)
But I have not decided yet.
Neither of those google maps link for me, but I assume you are probably thinking maybe Wolf Creek...Indian Canyon...Energy Loop...Huntington...that kind of stuff? I've taken those roads and actually did a wonderful trip last summer into Torrey with a great group. Would be awesome to do that again. I haven't been along Hwy 12 on a bike yet, but I've heard stories - haha. (Did it in a cage years ago and still remember The Hogback!) I imagine coming over Hwy 14 and into Cedar will be nice - it could be iffy whether the Cedar Breaks NM road is open that early though. When I lived in Cedar, most of the locals figured that road wouldn't open till mid-June at the earliest.
These roads definitely beat slabbin it down I-15 - that's for sure!

(I don't think this is a ninja-friendly kind of a trip---will probably have to look into renting an 800GS if I get serious...hmmm...)
Tough job but I will volunteer to check the roads and passes around Cedar a week or two prior. I'll report back on what, if anything, is still closed and the spring road construction projects that pop up every year.

For what it's worth, 148 through Cedar Breaks opened 1st week of May last year. We have had heavier snow this year in the area since late Feb though.

For what it's worth, 148 through Cedar Breaks opened 1st week of May last year. We have had heavier snow this year in the area since late Feb though.
Wow! Cedar Breaks open in early May? Amazing. I lived in Cedar 1995-2005 and I don't remember it ever opening that early. I guess that was before global warming. Ha.
winksmiley02.gif

...And I assume Hwy 14 is all repaired and passable again after the slide? (Was that already a couple of years ago now?)

Wow! Cedar Breaks open in early May? Amazing. I lived in Cedar 1995-2005 and I don't remember it ever opening that early. I guess that was before global warming. Ha.
winksmiley02.gif

...And I assume Hwy 14 is all repaired and passable again after the slide? (Was that already a couple of years ago now?)
The big slide on 14 was Fall 2011. It was only closed for about a year. There is even a nice passing lane now where the slide was.

I rode 148 last May a few weeks before going to SWFOG in Silver City. It was open but there was about a 100' stretch still covered in snow.

Actually 143 is open already - to 4WD/chained recommended vehicles; "SR-143 Parowan to Brian Head No crews working, icy spots, overcast, snow tires chains or 4WD advised 3/12/2015 2:57:33 AM" according to the state at least.

This is the website that gives current information: https://511.commuterlink.utah.gov/tats.web.report/ or you can call UDOT themselves and ask about the conditions of any state road- "24-hour automated road condition information can be accessed using any Utah-based phone by simply dialing 511. Outside Utah, you can access the same information by dialing toll-free 866-511-UTAH (8824)."

It says that 12 and 14 are good to go - that is unless they get dumped on by Utah weather, but if they are okay now, even with a good snow storm it most likely will be cleared and gone in a few days time.

According to the states website: SR-12 Bryce Canyon to Torrey, No crews working on it, surface is dry, weather is overcast, no restrictions in place as of 3/12/2015 2:57:34 AM and SR-14 Cedar City to Long Valley Jct, No crews working, surface is dry, weather is overcast, no restrictions in place as of 3/12/2015 2:57:34 AM.

I just hope the state is not looking to 'chip and seal' any of the roads down there when we will be in the area!

They have to keep 143 open so people can make it to the ski resort at Brian Head.

148 is restricted to snowmobiles and cross country skiers. They don't plow it. It's the cutover from 143 to 14 through Cedar Breaks.

Please take me off the list for this. Old age and too many medical problems are keeping me off the road.

Longrider

aka Bruce Waldron

Agree with Tyler, If ya can make it, we would love to see you Bruce!

Updated list and shameless Teeshirt plug https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/161575-sw-fog-2015-tee-shirt-order/

"Maybes" List:
Bustanut joker
101stpathfinder - Tony
Panman

In list:

FJRAY and Mrs

Mr & the lovely Mrs. Bug
Mohawk
SIlver Streak-El Ray
Gordie Thomas
phroenips and Shaun
James
Morecowbell
bikerskier
John Y. and Isa
MCRIDER007
Intech and Spanky
gregory
bigjohnsd and Festar
0Face-Marty
Iris
Jim aka ZOOOMM AGAIN
griff
Abercrombie FJR
pegscraper and MsNASCAR
101stpathfinder and Mrs. Tony
HelzBelz
Zbear
Fly Bye
KiloWatts
blufjr - Ken
Back Road Bob
Cooleyman - Dave
BeemerDonS
Miss Donna
Seth S.
Smokeball
Bob Flanders
AZgman
Mudslide Miller
Dashbaw
Big D.
Chris M.
stealth1
HotRodZilla
GalaxyBlue
zzzzip - Skip
Bokerfork
Old Michael
Yatzee426
erixun
TheZsdad
petey
Geezer
BwanaDik and Bambi
LCB
weluvbikn - Phil and Charlene
R Price
Spud
Thingfish - Paul
Tucson Joe and Cec
Tyler
twisted cricket
NMRoadRunner

Bruce in 2005 at SW-FOG. That's him in the helmet with his Witness Protection detail on either side.