Penn-Run Group Meet/Ride Mem-Day Wknd '15

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike we will be heading that way from Cleveland on Saturday morning. We won't be heading as far north as Eden however.

I haven't decided on the route for us.

We may take Rt 6 across or go I90 to I86 and drop south.

Mike we will be heading that way from Cleveland on Saturday morning. We won't be heading as far north as Eden however. I haven't decided on the route for us. We may take Rt 6 across or go I90 to I86 and drop south.
I haven't traversed it in quite a while, but the section of I-86 from Erie east to probably about Olean was very crappy the last time I rode it. Maybe it's been fixed, this was a few years ago.

Seems awfully quiet on this thread, seeing as how there's only 5 days left before it starts...
Tim, Mike, you still coming this way on Saturday? Want to try Sprague's again as a lunch stop on the way to Wellsboro? Weather for Saturday seems pretty good, Sunday probably still OK. Monday looks a bit moist. Laura and I will be heading down into WV for the week after Wellsboro, and I hope we don't hit too much liquid sunshine...but it's not looking too terrific at the moment.
Tim can't make this one, something about a work thingy getting in the way. I'm good to go and the lunch destination sounds great. I can meet you at your place. Just let me know what time works for youon Friday.

Mike we will be heading that way from Cleveland on Saturday morning. We won't be heading as far north as Eden however. I haven't decided on the route for us. We may take Rt 6 across or go I90 to I86 and drop south.
I haven't traversed it in quite a while, but the section of I-86 from Erie east to probably about Olean was very crappy the last time I rode it. Maybe it's been fixed, this was a few years ago.
It's not bad...the worst sections have been re-surfaced. We usually take 86 to the Finger Lakes every year, last year 86 was closed in both directions around Salamanca. Steve, you could take 86, spend the night around Jamestown, then head up 62 to Eden.

Last edited by a moderator:
KJ,
Any routes planned yet? Been looking for any updates. We are excited about the ride up and the Sunday excursion.

Jeff
Yuuup, on the website, but I have to do the download links yet.

It will be great having you and your Son and staying with us in the Lodge this year... no commuting!

....Soon on the d/load links... been a crazy-mad Monday!

Started looking at routes last week for the ride down. Thinking about heading east before turning south, looking to ride down the east side of Cayuga Lake, take a right at Ithaca, Horseheads and on in to Wellsboro. Anyone been on 90 on the east side of Cayuga Lake lately? Wondering what condition the road is in, if it's too rough I'm willing to look at a different road.

Looking forward to meeting the cast of characters. :)

Joe, we're going to Wellsboro. The Eden reference was about meeting up with Mike and Laura as they head out of Eden.

Leaving from Cleveland would you take Rt 6 across PA or use I86?

Routes are up on the site

Simplified! Last year I had everyone wanting to follow me. Well, out of the Lodges parking lot... all (other) 18 bikes all magically did! After landing on our first stop (Hyner), I finally grouped up the slower or more sight seeing folks up, and.... It worked out great. This year, I have my buddy Dan Usak who is going to lead a group or 4 or 5, I'm also hoping we have another leader pop-up! Dan lives in Corning, so like me is pretty familiar with the area.

I made variations of the maps (CW and CCW). This way I figure groups could split off in different directions as well. We all can tell the tall stories upon arrival back in Wellsboro. Speaking of which... I have done lot's of these Rally's and Meets, you are soon going to find out that Wellsboro is prime-time perfect for this. Everything is within walking distance! The town is the kooooooooolest and you just can't beat a stroll down the gas lit median through downtown just before darkness settles in.

Bring your coolers! Bring your lanyards!... I'm making name tags, they are stickies, but lanyard holders are slicker.

Started looking at routes last week for the ride down. Thinking about heading east before turning south, looking to ride down the east side of Cayuga Lake, take a right at Ithaca, Horseheads and on in to Wellsboro. Anyone been on 90 on the east side of Cayuga Lake lately? Wondering what condition the road is in, if it's too rough I'm willing to look at a different road.
Looking forward to meeting the cast of characters.
smile.png
Since this is a short event, half the fun is the ride in and out. So def plan a fun ride both ways!
smile.png

Rte 90 is fine smoothness wise from Free-bridge (Rts 5&20 intersection) all the way to Ithaca via 34B. Once through Ithaca (stay on 96 south), you should try out Rte 327 (by the Robert H Treman State Park entrance) which is a right hand turn on 96, only a couple of miles out-skirting south of Ithaca. 327 is awesome, but it ends way too briefly up on Rte79, but man it's fun! You can stay on 79 just a short bit for Rte 228 (south) which will get you back on track.

Joe, we're going to Wellsboro. The Eden reference was about meeting up with Mike and Laura as they head out of Eden.
Rt6 will take a long time, lots of little towns. We take 86 across to the Finger Lakes every year. You could take 219 south from Salamanca, down to Rt6 east, or stay on 86 and cut south down 99/15 from Corning.

Rt6 will take a long time, lots of little towns. We take 86 across to the Finger Lakes every year. You could take 219 south from Salamanca, down to Rt6 east, or stay on 86 and cut south down 99/15 from Corning.
Thanks Joe, I wanted to avoid any potentially "bad" pavement sections.

Looking at GoogleMaps, there is Rt 417 / Rt 44 South of Oleans just past Salamaca. It appears to be a more direct shot to Rt 6

Looking forward to meeting the cast of characters.
smile.png
Since this is a short event, half the fun is the ride in and out. So def plan a fun ride both ways!
smile.png

Rte 90 is fine smoothness wise from Free-bridge (Rts 5&20 intersection) all the way to Ithaca via 34B. Once through Ithaca (stay on 96 south), you should try out Rte 327 (by the Robert H Treman State Park entrance) which is a right hand turn on 96, only a couple of miles out-skirting south of Ithaca. 327 is awesome, but it ends way too briefly up on Rte79, but man it's fun! You can stay on 79 just a short bit for Rte 228 (south) which will get you back on track.
Thanks for the pointers KJ. Looking forward to taking the long way around. :)

Just an FYI: If anyone wants to meet up with me on the way down my feelings will not be hurt one bit. Just so you know we might get lost. I hate it when that happens on a motorcycle. ;)

Thanks Joe, I wanted to avoid any potentially "bad" pavement sections.

Looking at GoogleMaps, there is Rt 417 / Rt 44 South of Oleans just past Salamaca. It appears to be a more direct shot to Rt 6
Steve, FYI there was a lot of road construction on 90, from 271 to the PA line last fall. You might want to consider taking 80 to 219 to 6 east.

For Beer acquisition, you cannot purchase it at gas stations (in PA).

Steves Discount Beverage Center is a mile down Rte 6 / 286 (going North which is really/eventually West).

Simple directs: When you go out of the Hotel parking lot, take a left. The road forks about 500ft, stay on Rte 6. Less than a mile up the road on the LEFT is the store. It's white, not real big but lots of beer signs, you can't miss it if you're at least looking to the left.

Bring your lanyards! (horizontal reading preferred)

Trevor and I have a route planned from home to Wellsboro for the ride in on Friday. It's about 300 miles on back roads. On Saturday, we will be doing a nice ride on a clockwise route from Wellsboro. So, on Sunday, we will be looking to do the CCW route.

After bashing my head against the wall trying to learn Basecamp to create routes, I finally gave Tyre a go. Since it works more on the Google Maps platform, it was much easier for me to figure out. I created the routes in Tyre, imported them into Basecamp for recalculation , and then sent the route to the GPS from there. Finally, an easy way to create routes on the Garmin. Nice.

So Laura floated the idea of coming down tomorrow night instead of Saturday. She did this yesterday. I called the Lodge this afternoon and somehow they had a room for us tomorrow night, so it looks like we'll be making an early departure on our vacation! I don't expect we'll get there much before 9pm (leaving after work), but we should be there tomorrow night. So we get an extra day of fun!
smile.png

Trevor and I have a route planned from home to Wellsboro for the ride in on Friday. It's about 300 miles on back roads. On Saturday, we will be doing a nice ride on a clockwise route from Wellsboro. So, on Sunday, we will be looking to do the CCW route.
After bashing my head against the wall trying to learn Basecamp to create routes, I finally gave Tyre a go. Since it works more on the Google Maps platform, it was much easier for me to figure out. I created the routes in Tyre, imported them into Basecamp for recalculation , and then sent the route to the GPS from there. Finally, an easy way to create routes on the Garmin. Nice.
Yeah I've spent countless hours days learning BaseCamp. It's quite frustrating especially at first, and, the proggy is a pig (loading modules and parts of the program). In today's easy routing software like Googlemaps, they sure make BC look antiquated. I deal with it and consider myself pretty good at it (now), but I would not consider myself an expert, I do what I need to do with it and that's about it!.

So Laura floated the idea of coming down tomorrow night instead of Saturday. She did this yesterday. I called the Lodge this afternoon and somehow they had a room for us tomorrow night, so it looks like we'll be making an early departure on our vacation! I don't expect we'll get there much before 9pm (leaving after work), but we should be there tomorrow night. So we get an extra day of fun!
smile.png
You buzzards!

Mike PM'd me of this, I woudl of come down today (Friday) with some advance notice to re-arrange my work schedule.

You guys have fun, I'll try to come in on Sat (tom) early, like around 2pm. If anyone is around?, if not... I'll start a cold beer I guess.

You buzzards!
Mike PM'd me of this, I woudl of come down today (Friday) with some advance notice to re-arrange my work schedule.

You guys have fun, I'll try to come in on Sat (tom) early, like around 2pm. If anyone is around?, if not... I'll start a cold beer I guess.
Heh, I didn't get advanced notice either! She just said Wednesday night "Why can't we leave after work on Friday?" I didn't really think we'd get a room for Friday, what with the other festivities in town this weekend. They surprised me by getting us the same room for Friday as we already had for the weekend so we don't even have to change rooms! We're hoping to be wheels up at 6pm and the GPS says it will take less than three hours to get there, so we should arrive just before full dark.