Shim to actual size

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred H.

Reaction score
Several folks have been asking about the exact size and shape of my shim, so I resized the photo.

It is made of 12 gage standard romex copper house wire and fashioned to shape. There are of course lots of other ways to increase the diameter of the pulley, and I suspect a zip tie could be zipped onto the tab on the throttle and the tail used as the shim in the pulley groove. Maybe someone else can come up with a more elegant solution. This was just my quick and easy fix.

If you print out this picture you should be able to duplicate the exact shape of the one I used.

I hammered on the wire lightly to flatten it out a bit on top before I shaped it, and I smoothed the end with a file so it had no sharp edges that could bite the throttle cable.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/image/62921560/original

original.jpg

I realize that not everyone has a problem with the throttle on the 06, and it probably is a sensitivity issue. This fix is intended to show those that are looking for answers how I solved it on my own bike. I know of at least one person who did it already and they are real happy with it.

Just be careful not to drop the shim when installing it. Tieing on a piece of dental floss to it would probably be a good idea in case you drop it. Also, be certain that there is no way the shim can come loose or bind before you button it up. Any modifications you do to your throttle are at your OWN RISK. I am just showing you what I did to mine.

First I hooked the shim onto the tab, and then I rotated it into position. See drawings ( I know, my artwork stinks).

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, should the wire rest on the bottom of the groove or ride up higher in it?

The way it works on mine is the wire fits down into the groove of the pulley and leaves just enough room for the throttle cable to still be in the groove as well, resting on top of the wire.

Fred...Thanks for all the time you spend trying to help everyone. :fan_1:

Ed.. :D

By the way, someone mentioned using fuel line, and this might actually be a nice approach. If you could find small diameter fuel or vacuum line and split it in half you could lay it in the pulley groove. The trick would be finding a way to properly secure it. It also would have to be really small diameter hose.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, I did the shim yesterday, rode today, NICE. thanks. bete.