Shinko tires?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I choose to not use them on the FJR, Shinkos are my

go-to tire for most of my other bikes, especially the dual sport

and my commuter.

Decent handling, long life and low price. I get two years / 12K

highway commute miles from a set of tires thats less than $200.

I think youll like them.

You did not say which model you were looking at for your V-Strom, but zig have run Shinkos pretty much exclusively on my old ManStrom for about 50k miles with no problems. I started out with the 705s. They are pretty darned good and last well. ThenI migrated to the 704/705 combo when I fancied that I needed more off road grip. They last pretty well for a 50/50 knobby, but the rear was disappointing in its later life. I eventually paired the old 704 front with a TKC80 rear, and that was a good pairing.

I bought a new Africa Twin last year and bought a set of 705s to put in it soon. The stock tires are nearly 100% street. I also got a set of Kenda Big Blocks for it. But I know that they vaporize quickly. So no long trips unless you want to be tire swapping mid-trip.

Tires is the one place that will teach you first hand that there is no free lunch.

Been running Shinkos on the dl650. Wear rate is ok, not great. But for the price point, and I can change tires on-site.. they are worth it.

I've been running Shinko Raven 009's on my FJR for years. Good millage, no slippage the way I ride, year round in KS (except ~10 days with ice on the streets).

I've used Shinkos on the FJR and was pleased with them. Not the longest wearing tire as Don said, but good enough if you're planning a monster long trip. Sure, my comment doesn't apply to your question regarding the V-Strom, just a testament to the tire brand.

I run Ravens on my Bandit 1200. I don't like the front as it has a center groove and feels a little loose on the straights, but they have good grip in the twisties. I don't know if I would run them on the FJR though.

Thanks for the insights, gentlemen. I've had wavering opinions about these inexpensive tires, but appreciate "the way I ride" comments since I am a rather conservative rider ... most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
HUD, Cav47 runs shinko exclusively on his FJR. He can't say enough good about them. I ran them on my KLR both 704/705 and 804/805. Both wore well and provided all the grip I could use. I just ordered a set of each for my GSA, will likely run the 704/705 going to Alaska.

I have install the 705 on my Xtz 750 for two years until now.They run really smoothly like a road tire on the highway,very good on off road and they last very well.Not so good on the wet and they causes vibrations at about 25-30 mph.Before and after this range the vibrations disappears.For this cheap price they worth it...

HUD, Cav47 runs shinko exclusively on his FJR. He can't say enough good about them. I ran them on my KLR both 704/705 and 804/805. Both wore well and provided all the grip I could use. I just ordered a set of each for my GSA, will likely run the 704/705 going to Alaska.
Pssst. There’s no 704. 705 is the pattern for both front and back. They seem to work well for the compromise they are, which is maybe 60/40 or 70/30 Road/Off.

At some times I’ve been tempted to go 705 rear with 804 front. The knobby makes a much bigger difference up front. And the 705 is not much slipperier than the big block 805. It wouldn’t hook up quite as well, but generally our problem is not that we can’t go fast enough. It’s that we cant keep these things out of the weeds.

Running a Shinko 700 front and a 705 rear on my KLR650. I like then, decent mileage and traction. I changed the front over to the 700 series for more traction on gravel. A little better but not a huge improvement.

I'm mounting a new Shinko Raven on the rear of my FJR tomorrow morning. I just polished off a PR4 on the rear. It was a good tire, but not a good bang for the buck. I've run Shinko Ravens numerous times on the FJR. I've always been pleased with their performance in all conditions. I have no trouble keeping up with the loonies in the twisties either. Save some money and give them a try on the FJR. Sorry I didn't give any advice for a Shinko on the V-Strom. But Shinko in general? I think they're just fine.

I have a set on the FJR now. So far they feel fine. they will be truely tested next week in SEO! Last Tuesday I did almost completely erase any evidence of a chicken strip riding 2 up. Tires felt great. So, I can say I like them, because I haev enough miles on them now on differing surfaces and felt no bad response from them. The only question remaining for me is how long they will last.

I have a set on the FJR now. So far they feel fine. they will be truely tested next week in SEO! Last Tuesday I did almost completely erase any evidence of a chicken strip riding 2 up. Tires felt great. So, I can say I like them, because I haev enough miles on them now on differing surfaces and felt no bad response from them. The only question remaining for me is how long they will last.
The Shinko Ravens last as long as any other tire I've run on the FJR. They're definitely my go to. I read other great tire reviews and then have to give them a try. I always seem to go back to the Shinko Ravens for good performance and a low price. You'll definitely get more miles per dollar on them than anything else I've run. Hi Bob!
smile.png