• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Skyway's Personal Hydration System

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skyway

Reaction score
Not a new concept by any means for carrying the 1/2 gallon rubbermaid insulated jug, just a clean design for any model year FJR.

At WFO5 this past July, while wandering through the parking lot talking to lots of different people about ideas, wants etc, I came upon 2 bikes who have this same idea already implemented. You guys already know them as Mr & Mrs Lisa Stevens. :D (Great folks BTW)

Anyway after inspecting what they had done to their bikes in an aid to carry fluids efficiently, I took their concept and came up with my own design for carrying the rubbermaid insulated jug. What you see below is the result of this.

The system shown in the pictures can be mounted to either rear passenger footpeg, with no modification needed to the bike, since I'm not a big fan of drilling, cutting etc. This mounting position has lots of advantages for carrying fluids. It puts the weight at a lower center of gravity, frees up valuable storage space, removes water carrying devices from tankbags that may also be carrying electronic devices and also makes backpack style hydration systems redundant. Most importantly it utilizes a space that is typically not used for any other farkle. The base is CNC machined from 6061 billet aluminum.

Downside of this mounting position is that your passenger won't like it. :p

The bag shown is fully lined and insulated around the jug and both top and bottom to aid in keeping both cold or warn fluids at the desired temperature for longer periods. It also serves to hide the not so pretty rubbermaid jug. There are 2 quick release fasteners on the side to remove the jug and case quickly from the bike. In the top of the lid is an eyelet for inserting the drink tube. (the brass fitting shown will be changed to a silver zinc color for the next prototype)

The case is intended to be kept with the jug and has a convenient adjustable carry strap on the back side (not shown, but is there) to make carrying for refills an easier task. By simply unzipping both zippers at the top of the case, the top opens up and hinges back to reveal the lid of the jug, which can then be unscrewed and refilled without removal from the outer case.

There are also plans to sew a pocket on the side of the outer case for storing any items related to the jug. I will post pictures hopefully by next week when the next prototype is complete.

Pricing is yet to be determined for this farkle. I just wanted to show you what I have come up with and to see what kind of response I get.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1866.jpg

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's actually pretty nifty Sky!

Any concerns about the proximity to the exhaust pipe?

I saw the different hookups for this, all similar but different. This looks great and I would be in for the set up. Mike in Fremont

That's sweet.

Photo's of the mounting apparatus?

Can you 'ballpark' your price?

Put me down on the interest column my friend....maybe for two.

Matt

Also interested. Would you then run a tube with a bite adapter from the rubbermaid, no you could drink while riding?

Well, it's about time ya Welsh Wanker. I've been waiting for these darn things for how long? Sounds like I get a discount. :D

Put me on the list for two!

Also interested. Would you then run a tube with a bite adapter from the rubbermaid, no you could drink while riding?
That is exactly the plan and how it was designed to work.

Please put me in the "interested" column, also. A very good concept!

Heidi

Well, it's about time ya Welsh Wanker. I've been waiting for these darn things for how long? Sounds like I get a discount. :D
Put me on the list for two!

That is exactly the plan and how it was designed to work.
As SkooterG has pointed out and I failed to do earlier, is that the system allows you to take on fluids while on the move.

Nice idea/design...I would be interested if I didn't already have a camelback...
I also own/use a camelback, but this mounting location free's up valuable tank bag space, and during certain rides at certain times of the year, I need to able to refill quickly and with as little fuss as possible. The top of the rubbermaid jug is quite a bit bigger than a camelback and can easily be placed under an ice machine/fountain at any gas station. Also since the jug is available for only a few bucks at any wally world etc, replacement for any reason is almost a non factor cost wise.

Can you 'ballpark' your price?
Since the sewing is being done by a different company and I have not yet decided upon the final design, I cannot put out a price. My focus to this point has been only on design.

The outer storage case will be sewn by an expert seamstress that already has a successful company that produces various storage solutions for motorcycles. Luckily for me, it just so happens that we both live in the same town. Good people here for sure.

You can check them out here. www.magsbags.com

skyway

I also would be interested in one. Also, I would like to ask if you recieved my payment regarding the cc mount I sent you a paypal payment for. If not let me know, maybe I got the wrong address.

devanator/Mike

OK, now THAT'S freaking cool. I love the idea of carrying it and having it NOT look like a Rubbermaid container. I wear a CamelBack but I don't really like it. This would help me out big time.

Put me on the "interested at a reasonable price" list.

skyway
I also would be interested in one. Also, I would like to ask if you recieved my payment regarding the cc mount I sent you a paypal payment for. If not let me know, maybe I got the wrong address.

devanator/Mike
Its already been shipped. ;)

Can you say how the hose attachment to the jug is made? I cannot see how it might work. Will it go straight thru the pouring valve?

Status
Not open for further replies.