Stator Interest?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got off a 30-minute phone call with ElectroSport.
They asked that if you have questions, please EMAIL them. Please resist calling them up and deluge them with questions, as they are a small shop and a massive phone campaign really impacts their ability to get work done. They learned this the hard way with the V-Strom community. :lol:

Here's the deal:

A prototype is being sent to me today. I should have it by early next week. I will install it and you can best believe I will put it through the wringer.

And I'll report my results here.
Questions? We don't need no stinkin' questions. Just test results. :)

I'll be patiently waiting for the 'real world' tests results by our dictator. The price is very right...

I just got off a 30-minute phone call with ElectroSport.***

A prototype is being sent to me today. I should have it by early next week. I will install it and you can best believe I will put it through the wringer.

And I'll report my results here.
Questions? We don't need no stinkin' questions. Just test results. :)
Yep, seems to me that things are in good hands. :D

Speaking of owing someone a beer . . . ! For all the testing and GB goodness he contributes to the motorcycling community, I don't see any way that it'd be justified to find WC buying himself anything to drink at the Hilton. :clap:

That is, IF anyone has any spare change left over after all the GB farkling expenditures.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a dual-sport kit from Electrosport, on my WR426. Purchased 2 years ago, haven't had any problems except one that I F-up. Shorted pos. to ground and fried circuit board. They replaced it free of charge, good company.

They also rewired my stator, for dual output one side to lights other to ignition.

I'm in if testing proves true.

$116-ish would be dirt cheap for the benefit, if it turns out to be as real as claimed. Then you guys just have to post a monkey-see monkey-do telling me how to swap it...

Should be piece of cake. Stator resides in left crank cover, impact several phillips screws out, throw as far as arm allows. Remove oe stator, set aside for rainy day. Clean cover and gasket mounting area spotless. Install new stator using nice new stainless socket head screws, route wire, attach gasket using very light coat Yamabond 3 or O2 safe silicone or Weatherstrip adhesive, torque screws to value. Should be in and out in 30-45 minutes.

I've been contemplating a new bike because of this issue.

I love my FJR and I'd really like to keep it, but not being able to ride in the dark/cold due to not enough power sucks!

If this works, I'm in!

Fabone e-mailed me the graph of OEM stator (Row 19) vs. the Electrosport stator (Row 20) and said it was OK to post here.

esg130.jpg

And if I remember right watts equal amps x volts. What I'm not sure about is what voltage you use. 12.6 of a steady state battery, 14.2 of a Datel reading I regularly see with low beams on, or something else.

Regardless of the method I would seem the 3600 rpm graph point is the most interesting to me. It most closely aligns with those long nights that you want to fireup your HID flamethrowers while you're on that deer-infested mountain pass in Eastern Oregon. You get this quaint notion that it would be nice to also fire up your Widders to stave off the cold. According to chart 31 ams for OEM vs. 38 for the ESG130.

The 22% increase would be BUTTER!!

Gotta love the scale on that graph... :blink:

In any event, can the voltage regulator handle the extra current? The regulator takes the voltage generated at a lower current and caps it to a lower voltage (~14.2V) and permits higher current. It also likely contains the rectifier.

We should probably know what the limits on the regulator are. Won't do anybody a lick of good if it is overpowered on those lonely nights. Running off the battery alone won't get you far...

-BD

We should probably know what the limits on the regulator are.
I discussed this very subject with ElectroSport during our telephone conversation today.

There is indeed a limit to what the FJR overall electrical system (wire harness, R/R, and other electrical components) can handle without putting undo stress on them, and that figure is approximately 520-ish watts (+/-). The first iteration of the stator that ElectroSport made put out a bit more than this amount, and they had to step it down a little in a subsequent design. To run at higher rates would eventually put the electrical system in jeapordy... obviously, not a good thing.

I am definitely looking forward to installing this puppy... toward that end, I dashed out to Sunnyside late this afternoon to score an item that might soon be in short supply, should this ElectroSport stator pass all my testing:

covergasket.jpg

Incidently.... for those of you familar with the Honda ST1100 series....

If the ElectroSport stator performs as advertise, it will roughly approximate the electrical system of the later generation ST1100 (the '96-'02 models).

I used to run a '97 ST1100 for many, many miles in all types of Endurance Rallies in the late '90s and up through 2001. I used to run twin 85-watt PIAA 910s, and a full set of Widder gear (vest and leg chaps), and never, ever saw my trusty old VDO analog voltmeter drop below 13.5v as long as my engine speed was reasonable (~3000 RPM and higher). B)

Latest posts