The FJR as a sportbike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan23

Reaction score
Recently, I rode with a friend who was on an Aprilia Futura, which is the same as my other bike. I always knew the FJR was no match for the RST as a sporting bike, but riding along side the Futura put the comparison in stark contrast. Sport-tourer vs sport-tourer.

The longer wheel base of the FJR, the 150 pounds more weight, fewer gear choices, lack of cornering clearance, etc. are all reasons why there's little surprise the RST shows the FJR so painfully lacking in sporting duty.

Now, Motorcycle Daily describes another reason: "...the bike with the lighter reciprocating mass (crankshaft, etc.) will be as fast or faster around the racetrack, due to its ability to carry more corner speed." Not only is the mass of the FJR power train heavier, but more of it is farther from the center, thus multiplying the effect... in-line 4 vs v-2.

Click here ===> https://www.motorcycledaily.com/23january07_800s.htm if you want to read the rest of the article.

None of this means the FJR isn't a great bike; it is one. It just means that you must be sure before choosing a bike what it is that you get vs what you give up... and more importantly: once choosing the FJR don't let your imagination about the FJR lull you into the notion that somehow Yamaha's engineers have rewritten the laws of physics. They have not. And if you do foget, those laws are there to swat you painfully back to your senses.

Climbing down from my soap box now. ;)

Can't say I buy the inline 4 versus V twin argument. Japan Inc. runs I-4s and Ducati runs twoms. Japan normally wins when the displacement is equal. It may be that Ducati is outnumberd or throws less money into the equation but I don't see any clear superiority of a V twin - or any other engine configuration for that matter.

trying to compare an FJR (heavier bike) to an Aprillia Futura (lighter bike) - really?

Fewer gear choices? One less makes all that difference?

Kinda like those guys who brag about the "handling" of a 1000+ lb Goldwing, isn't it?

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that an FJR would keep up with a Futura in the twisties or in the straights, but I think that's primarily determined by weight, power, frame, suspension, weight distribution, and cornering clearance, not engine layout. Twins have nice torque curves but so does the FJR.

I just got an 06 FJR. Before riding the FJR I read all the "top heavy" this, and weight that. So, I had decided that I would keep my 02 Sprint ST because "I would need a twisty fix" every once in a while. Well after riding the FJR I'm thinking about selling the Sprint. The Sprint will eat the FJR's lunch in something tight like the Dragon, but give it a bit of space, it can take care of itself. Never had the opportunity to ride a Futura but the bike looks good. I have not doubt that on some of the twisties I ride, the Sprint will get a Futura's attention as it walks away from it. (The 955i Sprints surprise a lot of sport bikes) IMO, what puts 90+% of the sport in sport touring is that accessory that rests just behind the tank and just above the seat.

It doesn't handle the best of sport tourers, but it almost does. It isn't the most comfortable bike in the world, but it almost is. It is either the best, or almost the best in everything, while leaving you short in nothing and no other Sport Touring bike can match it. To pick on one test area like handling really isn't a fair test of an FJR. However, when considering all aspects of sport touring, the FJR stands well above the competitors...so far. It's fun seeing people try to catch up to Yamaha.

Orangy is in no way affiliated or sponsored by Yamaha & the above comments are strictly his own :D ....(though he might like to be)

Had the opportunity to ride all the way from Pensacola Florida to Monterrey Californication in July of 2005 to the MotoGP, with one other 2005 FJR and 2 Apillia Futura's.

I can say, without equivocation, that the FJR's in that instance were perfectly matched to the Aprillia's. We all covered 6700 miles round trip in 10 days, with only 200 miles on the freeway going out.

Went through the back roads of MS, AR, KS,OK,NM, UT,CO,NV and CA. Even road up the PCH1 to the Sequoia NP, and traversed Yosemite NP East to West.

The FJR's were able to do more miles per tank, (Almost 100) and were able to carry more luggage comfortably, going through the mountains in Taos, NM and upto Durango and Silverado, both bikes handled equally.

It all comes down to the skill and desires of the riders, the Aprillia's were not as comfortable going through the corners fully loaded, as the weight was up high and on their back seat, with the FJR's it didn't seem to be as significant.

On top speed through Oklahoma, the FJR's had about a 20mph advantage, although the Futura's had more corner clearance in the twisties, which didn't seem to matter as we just ground the pegs on the FJR's to keep up.

The seat on the Aprillia is much wider ans appeared more comfortable, although the FJR's were running Corbin's, mine a Corbin direct, the other a Yamaha Corbin, which was awful, had a sewing welt right across the back of the legs where it meets the butt cheek, my buddy actually had an open cut sore from it.

The Aprillia's both suffered various mechanical issues, from a leaking clutch master cylinder to fuses, bulbs and wiring loom problems, also needed daily chain adjustments and lubing.

The FJR's had ZERO issues, not even a blown fuse.

Both good platforms and performed as they were intended.

Skippy

Recently, I rode with a friend who was on an Aprilia Futura, which is the same as my other bike. I always knew the FJR was no match for the RST as a sporting bike, but riding along side the Futura put the comparison in stark contrast. Sport-tourer vs sport-tourer.
This is why I bought the FJR, for the tourer side of sport-touring. My Multistrada handles the sport side.

Ride 500 miles on both bikes -- then report back
I would be quite happy riding 500 miles on either my FJR or GL1800 (weighs in much less than the 1k lbs previously claimed, and although I'm not bragging, it handles just fine for me), but 500 on an Aprillia? No thanks...

FJR: SPORT/tourer or sport/TOURER? Probably depends most on the rider. I joined some friends not long ago on a ride through Yellowstone, out to Cody, WY, over the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, then up and over the famous Beartooth Highway of Wyoming and Montana. Very challenging roads, to say the least. Here's the lineup - bike and approximate ages and years experience:

'03 FJR, two-up and fully loaded, (me) 47 years of age, 30 years experience (almost all pavement)

'02 Bandit S 1200, one-up, 49, 10 (all pavement)

'04 R1, one-up, 26, 10 (about 8 on dirt, just 2 on roads)

'97 Blackbird, one-up, 26, 10 (about 6 on dirt, four on pavement)

'02 FZ1, one-up, 24, 2 (all pavement)

In the twisties, with about 1,100 lbs of FJR, people and gear, no one else could keep up. I kept slowing to allow them to catch up and to keep the rest in sight. All of these other bikes should have (could have) outperformed the FJR for shear sporting capability, but didn't because of one factor: experience of the respective riders. The FJR is plenty sporting in the right hands with ample comfort and amenities. Perfect for me.

The FJR? SPORT/TOURER.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJR: SPORT/tourer or sport/TOURER? Probably depends most on the rider. I joined some friends not long ago on a ride through Yellowstone, out to Cody, WY, over the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway, then up and over the famous Beartooth Highway of Wyoming and Montana. Very challenging roads, to say the least. Here's the lineup - bike and approximate ages and years experience:
'03 FJR, two-up and fully loaded, (me) 47 years of age, 30 years experience (almost all pavement)

'02 Bandit S 1200, single, 49, 10 (all pavement)

'04 R1, single, 26, 10 (about 8 on dirt, just 2 on roads)

'97 Blackbird, single, 26, 10 (about 6 on dirt, four on pavement)

'02 FZ1, single, 24, 2 (all pavement)

In the twisties, with about 1,100 lbs of FJR, people and gear, no one else could keep up. I kept slowing to allow them to catch up and to keep the rest in sight. All of these other bikes should have (could have) outperformed the FJR for shear sporting capability, but didn't because of one factor: experience of the respective riders. The FJR is plenty sporting in the right hands with ample comfort and amenities. Perfect for me.

The FJR? SPORT/TOURER.
:good: on what Big Sky said....experience can make all the difference in the world....but then again that's just my opinion... :derisive: ....

I recall a thread on my 600R forums about a dude at Deals Gap on a big yellow Goldwing that could spank all but the most experienced riders.

Rider.....not the bike

-Don

But the Futura would be a really fun bike for those 200-300 mile day rides. :yahoo:

I sat on one...felt really good...everything in "just" the right place...getting on that bike felt like putting on a pair of kid leather gloves...My heart said, "Buy this bike!"... My head said, "Get offa this thing before you buy it and kill yourself."

I literally walked straight through the door and out of the dealership before a salesman could talk with me. I stopped by the Yamaha dealer and placed my $500 deposit for the PDP.

I'm still smiling for what might have been, but I grin for what is!

Ah luvs mah Eff-Jay-Arr! Et duz me raght finely, thenk yew very much.

I just got an 06 FJR. Before riding the FJR I read all the "top heavy" this, and weight that. IMO, what puts 90+% of the sport in sport touring is that accessory that rests just behind the tank and just above the seat.

It doesn't handle the best of sport tourers, but it almost does. It isn't the most comfortable bike in the world, but it almost is. It is either the best, or almost the best in everything, while leaving you short in nothing and no other Sport Touring bike can match it. To pick on one test area like handling really isn't a fair test of an FJR. However, when considering all aspects of sport touring, the FJR stands well above the competitors...so far. It's fun seeing people try to catch up to Yamaha.

This is why I bought the FJR, for the tourer side of sport-touring.

FJR: SPORT/tourer or sport/TOURER? Probably depends most on the rider. In the twisties, with about 1,100 lbs of FJR, people and gear, no one else could keep up. I kept slowing to allow them to catch up and to keep the rest in sight. All of these other bikes should have (could have) outperformed the FJR for shear sporting capability, but didn't because of one factor: experience of the respective riders. The FJR is plenty sporting in the right hands with ample comfort and amenities. Perfect for me.
The FJR? SPORT/TOURER.

I'm still smiling for what might have been, but I grin for what is!
Ah luvs mah Eff-Jay-Arr! Et duz me raght finely, thenk yew very much.

There's nothing more I or anyone else can say about this great multi-tasker...it is what it is...and it "is" a blast no matter what you ask it to do...

I recall a thread on my 600R forums about a dude at Deals Gap on a big yellow Goldwing that could spank all but the most experienced riders.
Rider.....not the bike

-Don
His name is Rick (Yellow Wolf) and you are correct sir!. I met him last July at the store and he is the real thing. He tried to start a business video recording bikes on the gap, but has since decided to pursue other opportunities. Late last summer he did 1000 miles in 24 hours between the lake and the store. It was an incredible feat that probably won't ever be matched. Although he was congratulated by Kneebone, he was not given official acknowledgement by the IBA, since it was obvious that he could not accomplish this legally. Since it was widely known that he planned this ride, he must have gotten a 'pass' from the local cops. When he finished the Iron Butt ride, he climbed back on the Wing and rode an hour home.

He ran the business all summer (3 video recorders mounted on the Wing) and said there were only a handfull of riders that he had trouble keeping up with. His footpegs were ground down 1.5 inches and he had steel plates mounted under them to extend their life. His website is still up there at YELLOW WOLF VIDEO Also check out the link to Killboy.com for some awsome photos of the dragon riders in action.

Latest posts