Tuscany by Scooter in 2014 with Edelweiss, Couples Tour.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
470 miles per the organized tour, but since this is a Custom Tour I arranged through Edelweiss Bike Travel we should be riding an extra 100 miles or so.
Rest of the riders, such as Dr. Rich and his lovely wife Susan, are riding Vespa 300's solo, since I set up the tour Karin Gritsch provided me with the big scoot!

AT A GLANCE START/FINISH:

Florence

NEAREST AIRPORT: Florence DURATION:

7 days vacation, 5 riding days

ROUTE:

Total distance 470 miles (750 km). Daily rides 100 - 160 miles (150 - 250 km). The entire route runs on good asphalt roads.

ACCOMMODATIONS:

A comfortable middle-class hotel.

REST DAYS: At any time – it’s up to you. HIGHLIGHTS:

Florence, San Gimignano, Siena, Arezzo, Fiesole, Pisa, Chianti, Mugello

Looks like a great itinerary. We hit most of those spots.

One thing we did was stop at a working farm/winery. The people were great. We did a tour and a wine tasting. You could sip wine from their patio and see the towers of San Gimignano on the hilltop. It's literally a five minute ride from SG.

Last edited by a moderator:
CopB8: EBT won't let us have wine while we have their scooters out on the road, but we do get an Italian Cooking Class!
Just get your sorry asses to Venice and we'll have a Catching Up Class there. My favorite supplier of white wine and Prosecco is in Ormelle, a mere 20 miles from the hotel.

Don, how many are you? Besides the liquid ammo I'll bring for a fun night together, I'd like to give each one of you pilgrims a good bottle of Venetian wine to take home.

CopB8: EBT won't let us have wine while we have their scooters out on the road, but we do get an Italian Cooking Class!
Just get your sorry asses to Venice and we'll have a Catching Up Class there. My favorite supplier of white wine and Prosecco is in Ormelle, a mere 20 miles from the hotel.

Don, how many are you? Besides the liquid ammo I'll bring for a fun night together, I'd like to give each one of you pilgrims a good bottle of Venetian wine to take home.
Chuy, Donna, Brian, Melanie, Sue, John and Heather: Seven of us, Stef! What can I bring you mi Amigo? I know Italy has a heavy tax on hard liquor: Whiskey!

I have the Devil's Compass loaded with the European map, and our Venice waypoints.

Don't worry everybody, I have all my maps already marked up when Brian gets us lost.

Train Stop of Quarto d' Altino is where we are staying while touring Venice/Dolomites.

map-of-venezia.jpg

Is it too late to join this beemerdons gong show ?
grin.gif

I love Prosecco
rolleyes.gif

grin.gif

I love Prosecco
rolleyes.gif
Hola Maria Elena, you could always fly to Venice and we could pick you up from the Airport as we'll have a van while we're staying at Quatro d' Altino. JSNS!

https://www.villaodino.it/en/

Or you could wait until April-May of 2016 as I am going to put together a two week tour of Spain, Andorra, France, Portugal and Gibraltar with Billy Fitz. JSNS!

grin.gif

I love Prosecco
rolleyes.gif
Hola Maria Elena, you could always fly to Venice and we could pick you up from the Airport as we'll have a van while we're staying at Quatro d' Altino. JSNS!

https://www.villaodino.it/en/

Or you could wait until April-May of 2016 as I am going to put together a two week tour of Spain, Andorra, France, Portugal and Gibraltar with Billy Fitz. JSNS!
I don't know about the Billy Fitz part but I'll put it on my 2016 calendar
wink.png

ps - add some Asperol and soda water to the Prosecco and let me know how you like it
thumbsup.gif

Looking at the list of attendees, might I suggest you all don klown suits for the group pic?

Have fun!
Come on Barry, you just know with Dr. Rich being a Dane he never goes anywhere without his clown suit! All postage stamps in Denmark have clowns on them!

stock-photo-denmark-circa-a-stamp-printed-in-denmark-shows-clown-by-una-ostergard-series-winning-104449133.jpg

Mem and Bust.... So that you know there are distinct two components of this trip... There is the Beemerdon "Cluster F**K Tour" and then there is the other group that is going for the culture, the art, the history, the food and the joy of riding in Tuscany... I doubt that the second group will have quite as much fun, but we in turn will remember what happened during that week. I assure you that I will provide visual proof that an Italian Scooter is not designed to haul Don and company around the hills of Italy. I have seriously thought of taking one of those banners you see on a low-boy tractor trailer that is hauling a D 9 CAT down the road and putting it on the back of his bike... Imagine being in a beautiful Ferrari and coming around a corner and seeing him coming at you.... Oh the terror!!!!!!!!!.

I suspect that he and his scooter will find every gelato stand in Florence. Wait until dinner and he asks the waiter in a really bad Mexican accent for a beer in a long neck bottle.... you have the vision of the ugly American in stereo! The Danes put clowns on stamps and the Irish put Don in a tank top! At the end of the tour Don and the "Cluster F**K Tour are heading to Venice... Imagine Don in a gondola. I bet the Gondolier breaks his oar... Should be fun... Susan and I are headed to southern France to Nice, Monaco, Marseilles, and Provence after the broken scooters are turned back in....A week in the sun will be nice...

Well, ain't this thread gone quiet now that Don and his merry bunch are finally in-country?
bike.gif

You'll be pleased to know that—after we locals endured a thoroughly sh*tty summer—our scooter-riding friends are enjoying uninterrupted sunshine out there in Chianti County. Luck of the Irish (and friends thereof)!

You might also be pleased to know that I'm driving out to Venice on Saturday to welcome them to Northern Italy, where the best wine flows and we regular folks are not (always) mobbed up.
rolleyes.gif

Of course, I'll be bringing Prosecco wine by the gallon (uh, about 2 gallons → 9 liters) to celebrate their safe arrival. The WX forecast for Venice gives light rain on Sunday, but at least they will have had an amazing run of fine weather while in Tuscany.

Mis Amigos, this Irish-Mexican LOVES Tuscany; Hell's Bell's, Papa Chuy Viejo LOVES all of Italia. I first rode a motocicleta to Firenze from Bavaria in 1969, it just keeps getting better: La Dolce Vita! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Ciao!

Just another shitty ass day here in sunny and warm Tuscany, Italy; meaning more miles on the motos, more pasta, more vino, more gelato and more smiles.

Luckily we haven't seen a single Canadian, the Folks of Florence have been so very nice. 17 AZ Beemers and our Scooter Tour Guide Domenico makes 18, 80F high and 60F low! jes' sayin' and nuff said, Ciao!

FROM AZ BEEMER MEMBER BRIAN BOLES:

Sunday - Viaggio di Bagagio Smarriti: Which means "Trip of Lost Luggage".

So far, Melanie's and Don's luggage were lost and fortunately recovered. The Christensen's luggage has yet to arrive. So, Melanie and I spent the first 2 days in Firenze emergency clothes shopping. We did get to see a lot of the city doing that and I guess as a bonus, Melanie has a new Italian wardrobe.

But aside from lost luggage, we are all here in Tuscany.

A quick word about the scooters. You may remember that when Don suggested this trip, I posted a picture of an elephant on a scooter. Don replied "No problem, we can fit 2 up on a Vespa scooter, no problem." What the big goof didn't mention is that he had upgraded himself and Donna to a super-scooter Aprilia Scarabeo 500cc.

Now since neither Melanie and I are Italian underwear models, and the Vespa seats are clearly designed for at most 2 Italian underwear models, we are a bit jammed on the seat. A lot of the couples are complaining about the seating accommodations of the Vespa.

Monday: So, now that I've finished my Italian Whine -

Today was the first riding day. The riding is spectacular. Awesome scenery. Small twisty roads up and down the hills of Tuscany. Historic architecture abounds.

The scooters perform quite well. They are great for slicing through the Italian traffic in the city of Firenze, but only about 1/2 of the group has the Italian riding style down yet. You got to view the cars as markers and weave your way through the stacked traffic at the lights and get up to the front. It's call "Filtering" here. Outside of the city, the scooters aren't super fast, but for the curvy roads they have plenty of speed and actually pick up out of a corner quite well.

So, today after getting out of Firenze traffic, our first stop was an overlook of the city on the side of a mountain to the south of town. After getting some nice city shots, we got out in the country roads amongst the olive, apple, grape, sunflowers and other crops. The grapes looked delicious but we didn't get to stop to steal some off of the vine.

We stopped in the town square of Greve in Chianti. This town has a famous butchery and wine/cheeze store that we visited. I love italian salame and ham, so we bought some samples along with Brunello wine. Myself and our friends Mark and Linda maxed out the storage with wine, cheese and ham.

The next leg was about a 60 mile ride through the Tuscan countryside. This was the most enjoyable riding. We did lose half of the group when they got too far back and took the wrong exit of a roundabout.

Our guide, Dominic, isn't the best at keeping the group together. He tends to run too far out front and not slow down at critical turn points. But all of the ladies on the tour are hot for him since he's a Italian stud boy.

The next town we got to is San Gimignanao and is called the Manhattan of the Middle Ages because the residents got into tower building contests as a way to show the family wealth. So on top of a hill, there's this ancient town with 14 towers of various heights. This was our lunch break. Mark, Linda, Melanie and I found a truly excellent resturant. Off the beaten path. Mark and I had pizza, Linda had pasta and Melanie got a beef filet in a mushroom puree sauce that was spectacular.

This town is a bit of a tourist trap, and it has 2 gelato shops, one that claims to have the "world champion gelato" and the other "the best gelato in the world". We chose the world champion. Yep, tastes like gelato !

On the way back to Firenze, we passed a winery that was pressing grapes. You could smell the grapes from a long distance and outside the factory, trucks were lined up to pick up the squashed grapes and stems which I assume become fertilizer or grappa.

We got back to Firenze about 5PM which made traffic really sucky. I wasn't about to let Dominic out of my sight, plus with my Mexico experience, I'm used to dodging traffic that is "unorganized". Some of the folks really need to work on those "filtering" skills and we wouldn't have to stop so often to re-group. We refilled the scooters before getting back to the hotel. I think I used the most gas since ours is 2-up and I was cranking that puppy for all it was worth.

Just had a dinner with exceptional anti-pasti (including a liver pate) and pasta that was OK but not great. Dessert (panna cotta for us), +++.

Tomorrow, we head north for higher mountains and Mugello.

Ciao.

Tuesday 9/30: Hey all, well today was supposed to be our "hard" riding day. We went north through the mountains. Today was what Our Ladies calls a "Ride, Ride, Ride" day. Lots of riding, not much stopping and hanging. Since a lot of the ladies were still sore from yesterday, four Gals decided to pass on today.

After heading north from town, we stopped in front of the gate for the Mugello racetrack. Unfortunately, we couldn't get in to sightsee or do a lap of the track. We took our first break at a small town just up from Mugello. After that break, the real fun started as we hopped over the first of 3 passes we crossed today.

We grabbed lunch in a neat little town after descending to the river after the first pass. The next 2 passes are on a road that apparently is the US191 of Italy, the most popular motorcycling road in the area. A lot of the road was only 15-ish feet wide and exceptionally curvy. Took a lot of concentration to watch for oncoming cars. Fortunately, the traffic was super light and totally enjoyable riding. One section of the road was a series of very steep switchbacks, we managed to smoke the brakes on that hill. We all also managed to scrape some metal off of the center stands.

Yes, we had a lot of fun on today's Tuscan Roller Coaster Ride.

Great stories! Enjoy riding along with you guys.

How many scooters in your group? I can imagine that would be difficult to manage in some of the higher traffic areas of Firenze. Do you typically do all day loops back to Firenze, or will you be traveling and staying in other towns?

Latest posts