V-Stream Windscreen with Rifle Tuning Block

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAFJR

Reaction score
My first generation FJR (2004) is a great platform for high speed touring, whether the road is twisting two lane or Interstate. I've finally found a versatile windshield combination that complements this bike's capabilities - the V-Stream with a Rifle tuning block.

Your results may vary. I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. I ride on a stock seat with D&D pullback handlebar risers. My helmets are a Shoei RF1000 and Nolan N102. I use 25dB musician's (filtered) earplugs.

Each combination of windshield, tuning block and final tuning with 1/16" thick rubber washers under the front or rear windshield screws was evaluated for: noise; buffeting; back pressure; cooling airflow to the body in the lower adjustment range; plus sightline over the screen and protection when fully extended.

Prior to the V-Stream, the Rifle Sport Screen with their tuning block worked best for me. Anything larger generated significant back pressure, reduced cooling airflow when lowered, and forced me to look through the screen when fully extended. Experimentation showed that altering the windshield angle with the tuning block and fine tuning that angle with rubber washers significantly improved every windshield tested.

According to the manufacturer, the V-Stream's shape moves the vortex flow generated by every windscreen further away from the rider's head and shoulders to reduce noise and buffeting. It works. It even works better with the addition of the Rifle tuning block, which allows decent airflow to the upper torso in the lower positions, and a decent sightline with full protection and relative silence when fully raised. Back pressure is nil.

Here are a series of comparative photos:

V-Stream Up Side

V-6.jpg

Rifle Sport Up Side

R-6.jpg

V-Stream Down Side

V-3.jpg

Rifle Sport Down Side

R-3.jpg

V-Stream Up Front

V-4.jpg

Rifle Up Front

R-4.jpg

V-Stream Down Front

V-1.jpg

Rifle Sport Down Front

R-1.jpg

So far, I've used this combination for five months and several thousand miles. If you need additional information or photos, let me know.

Jon

Geez, another shield to try ...

I've done the tall Ahamay, a big rifle, and now a CalSci tall. So far, Rifle & CalSci still have noise & buffeting at high position, & only the Ahamay has the 'quiet zone' when all the way down. I'm 6' 3" with a 33" inseam.

Question: Does the VStream come in sizes or is one size supposed to fit all ?

Geez, another shield to try ...
I've done the tall Ahamay, a big rifle, and now a CalSci tall. So far, Rifle & CalSci still have noise & buffeting at high position, & only the Ahamay has the 'quiet zone' when all the way down. I'm 6' 3" with a 33" inseam.

Question: Does the VStream come in sizes or is one size supposed to fit all ?
To my knowledge, the VStream only comes in one size. It might be worth a call to the manufacturer to see if custom lengths are a possibility.

In my experience, the shape of the VStream was a major improvement over the others tried for any given angle and adjustment. The combination of the VStream and the Rifle tuning block improved the VStream's performance by further reducing noise and buffeting.

Jon

Skyway has made some spacers that work well with any screen, which eliminates all the buffeting and the need for the tuning block. At full up, I can see just over the top of the V-Stream while enjoying a quiet pocket of air. No full down for me, gotta keep my naked neck out of the beeflow. :(

DSC01386.jpg

Jeez, I'm glad you guys are having good luck with your setups. I have the same deal, and frankly I'm not impressed. SAME back pressure, and now that it's getting colder I feel WAY more wind on my hands and body.

Oh and about the buffetting?? So much for their selling point. I really think I might go back to my Cee Baileys.

I got one of the first VStreams and frankly, it didn't work well for me. I stuck w/ the Rifle sport plus the tuning block. 5 11 and 31 inseam. Full face Bell M4. I might like to try the CalSi next year though.

I just put a rifle +3 on my 2006 FJR1300A. Took it out for a short run through town and on the freeway. Tested it up to 100+ mph. It eliminated the buffeting and is much quieter when up. In the down position there is more than enough airflow (too much at speed) to the head area, but relatively little to the torso. I am 5'8" but have a long waist and short legs, for what that means. At the full up position I have to look through the windshield. This doesn't bother me as I will never raise it that high in normal use. I like to be able to look just over the top. The extra width seems to reduce the turbulence I was feeling from air passing over my arms. All in all I think it will be much better than the stock windshield and will solve my "buffeting" problem.

My only complaint is the nylon screws used to attach the windshield. I have a difficult time not stripping out metal screw heads. I managed to "screw-up" 3 of the six nylon screw heads. I decided to use the original nylon screws, then decided the one's shipped with the Rifle were "sturdier" and found I could not get the OEM screws out. I stripped three of them trying. I ended up just leaving them in and will figure out how to remove/replace them if the need arises.

This plastic thing is new to me, coming from the world of chrome. (VTX 1800C) But I love this bike and will be selling my "X" next spring. I just can't "justify" the cost of keeping it as little as I ride it now.

LC

Well... for me, the CalSci X-Tall is an improvement over the stock, but I still get a lot of buffetting at speed.

I'd really like to try the VStream and just emailed them the other day. Not really happy with the response. He said it would still be another month before the 06 screen was out for the FJR. He also was pretty reticent about his return policy. Mentioned a 20% restocking charge plus he said that they have the right to not accept a return (which I can understand if it's scratched, but I'd like to put at least 20 miles on it. Can't get too beat up in 20 miles where I live)

Anyway, I might bite on it regardless... just can't deal with the buffetting. I'm very tall (6'5") and most of the people talking about screens here seems to be normal height! The CalSci X-Tall would work fantasically if you were 5'9", but at 6'5" I'm still way too exposed.

Steve

frankly, after all the hype, I was somewhat disappointed in the VStream. I fully agree that it worked much better with the Rifle tuning block than without. I too, was running with the Rifle sport screen and eventually sold the VStream after a month. Didn't feel the improvement was worth the $$ over the Rifle which I still have on the bike.

Have any of my forum buds used the Rifle tuning block with the Yamaha OEM windscreen?

Have any of my forum buds used the Rifle tuning block with the Yamaha OEM windscreen?
On a 2004, the Rifle tuning block makes a significant improvement in the OEM screen, however the limitations of its size and shape are still irritatingly apparent. Also, to avoid contact with the fairing in the fully lowered position, you'll have to slightly reduce the screen's laidback angle with several 1/16" thick rubber washers under the rearmost mounting screws.

Jon