western gathering

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a bad thought but isn't Sparks close to where Tyler is doing her Sierra thing in Sept. I don't have a map handy. It would be nice to think Alaska with John was doable but with my level of BS on the plate it's not going to happen in this lifetime.

SOMEBODY do something.
punk.gif
punk.gif

Fortuna/Eureka are also great areas for riding and you can have breakfast at the Samoa Cook House.
punk.gif
punk.gif
We did WeSTOC 19 in 2014 in Fortuna at exit 687. There are 3 hotels there including a Best Western. Camping is available next door at the Riverwalk RV Park. Eel River Brewhouse is there as well as a Pizza joint. Shell station. Fortuna has their event center there which can be used as a banquet facility. You just need to bring someone in to cater any meal. You can see pics from WeSTOC 19, 2014 here:

https://westoc.org/history/past-events/westoc-19-2014-fortuna-california

There's always WeSTOC 24 in Calgary in June of 2019 for anyone looking for something to do. :)

https://WeSTOC.org

Not a bad thought but isn't Sparks close to where Tyler is doing her Sierra thing in Sept. I don't have a map handy. It would be nice to think Alaska with John was doable but with my level of BS on the plate it's not going to happen in this lifetime.
SOMEBODY do something.
punk.gif
punk.gif
upset.gif

The brewery also has a large outdoor seating area that can reserved for events.
Ya, it's not bad for a largish group getting meals, but our banquets are 125 to 175 people. They can't handle that kind of crowd. Don't know what the typical draw is for a Western FJR event so it could work....

When there was western events AKA WFO there would be a pretty good crowd but wfo has been dead for quite some time and likely to stay that way . Anymore the usual events are 30-50 folks and most of the time it's eat where you want and tell lies in the parking lot. The most we have fed at the Reuben is 52 . The first year we fed 55 in my back yard.

Just a few thoughts and recollections:

I think planning for 60 and being prepared for 70 would be prudent for a Western Shindig.

I do like the events with at least one common meal, NAFO, EOM, Reuben Run, Black Hills Roundup, Red Lodge Rendezvous, YFO, to name a few.

Turk's SFO is in a league of its own when it comes to meals!

I was surprised at how many bought breakfast from the local Burrito Vendor at the Red Lodge Rendezvous when there was no hotel provided slop.

Check with your local service clubs to find an impromptu meal caterer.

If I weren't doing the North to Alaska Run in 2019 I'd find a venue and start organizing but I'm going North! I'll be glad to consult with anyone that wants to take organizing the Western shindig on in 2019.

Fortuna/Eureka can be damn cold and foggy, not such a risk in Paso Robles
Free Air Conditioning in the summer!
Even if it's foggy in Fortuna you're into the better weather pretty quickly on all the good routes.
Except the Lost Coast.
True. Last time I was there, in 2013, the road surface wasn pretty bad. But, it's a beautiful place! Anyone know if they've resurfaced since then?

https://koczarski.com/Motorcycles/Trips/20130914Fortuna/Trip.htm

I don't think pretty bad is correct. HOW ABOUT TERRIBLE. Mad Mike and I rode it at the last WFO and I swore that was the last time. As broke as Kali is I doubt it's any better now.

I don't think pretty bad is correct. HOW ABOUT TERRIBLE. Mad Mike and I rode it at the last WFO and I swore that was the last time. As broke as Kali is I doubt it's any better now.
Yep still is a shitty road.Sucks on a big bike but on the good side it keeps out 90% of of the traffic out of there. Lost Coast rocks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep still is a shitty road.Sucks on a big bike but on the good side it keeps out 90% of of the traffic out of there. Lost Coast rocks on a KLR! or a GSA
Fixed it for you

Yep still is a shitty road.Sucks on a big bike but on the good side it keeps out 90% of of the traffic out of there. Lost Coast rocks on a KLR! or a GSA
Fixed it for you
You're right. Myself on the KLR and three other friends spent ten days doing the area. we set up base camp at the Best Western in Garberville and did day rides in all directions. Other than watching out for all the grow operations it was a great trip.

All this doesn't seem to be inspiring anybody to set something up.
upset.gif

I could be convinced to host something at Carvers joint (and expense). Evidently, he will be away on some work boondoggle, so what the hell will he care? We could have a Vintage Bike Enduro event.

I could be convinced to host something at Carvers joint (and expense). Evidently, he will be away on some work boondoggle, so what the hell will he care? We could have a Vintage Bike Enduro event.
Knowing how shitty the road is going to the Hondarosa it would be a dual sport event.

Knowing how shitty the road is going to the Hondarosa it would be a dual sport event.
IN! His road didn't seem much worse than yours Ray.
bleh.gif

IN! His road didn't seem much worse than yours Ray.
bleh.gif
Mine is 3/4 mile maintained regular and his is 3 miles with questionable maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.