Yamaha Super Tenere 1200

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a great article on a Super Tenere 1200 that had a "Little"' Boo-Boo....... Small scratch...... :blink:

BOO-BOO 1200

Here is a great article on a Super Tenere 1200 that had a "Little"' Boo-Boo....... Small scratch...... :blink:

BOO-BOO 1200
I wrote it, which is why I was talking about the footpegs, oem crash bars, and cost of the wheels. As for frame sliders, the rear boxes did a heck of a job.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

BOO-BOO 1200
I wrote it, which is why I was talking about the footpegs, oem crash bars, and cost of the wheels. As for frame sliders, the rear boxes did a heck of a job.

;)
Checks... you wrote this article? If you did, you wrote a great piece.

As for the Frame Sliders, it seems like the Rightside/Silver Radiator guard? could use something to assist with its protection since the Lower Bars did not seem to help much. Even more so with the Boxes on which would tilt this area of the bike upward and make this area of the bike more exposed to the ground surface.

Just an idea... but overall the bike did marvelous in such an accident.

For the unfortunate members not on AMA's spam list -FWIW:

March 15, 2011 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

AMA Yamaha Super Ténéré Adventure Riding Series Kicks off for 2011

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The American Motorcyclist Association is pleased to announce a new title sponsor for the country's premier riding series for fans of big-bore adventure-touring motorcycles with the 2011 launch of the AMA Yamaha Super Ténéré Adventure Riding Series.

Geared toward riders of all brands of adventure-touring motorcycles, the AMA Yamaha Super Ténéré Adventure Riding Series includes more than 20 rides in some of the most scenic riding areas in the country. The series' "High Adventure, No Hassles" approach includes plenty of riding on asphalt, gravel and two-track routes mapped by local experts, the camaraderie of like-minded enthusiasts and a full weekend of activities, including camping and bonfires.

The partnership between the AMA and Yamaha coincides with the manufacturer's exciting entry into the big-bore adventure touring market with the impressive Super Ténéré, the 1,199cc, rally-inspired motorcycle designed to cover long miles over varied terrain in comfort and style. In fact, thanks to Yamaha, one lucky participant in the 2011 AMA Yamaha Super Ténéré Adventure Series will win a brand new 2012 Super Ténéré.

"Adventure-touring continues to grow in terms of popularity, and we're really excited that Yamaha has chosen to partner with the country's premier adventure-touring series to show off the company's new Super Ténéré motorcycle, and demonstrate support for the segment and its enthusiastic riders," said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. "Thanks to Yamaha's efforts, riders in the AMA Yamaha Super Ténéré Adventure Riding Series will see a real step up in the caliber of our events, which are already on the top tier of adventure-touring rides."

Yamaha officials noted that the partnership with the AMA is a perfect fit for their company.

"The AMA Yamaha Super Ténéré Adventure Ride Series will expose the Super Ténéré to serious adventure-touring riders around the country," said David Docktor, Yamaha's motorcycle marketing manager. "We plan to have a Super Ténéré on each ride, so participants can see first-hand how capable and fun to ride this new machine really is."

Yamaha's support of the series will include the Super Ténéré grand prize giveaway bike, prizes from the Yamaha Genuine Accessories and Apparel lines and promotion of the series through local dealers. Finally, Yamaha will also be offering special promotions specifically to owners of its all new Super Ténéré. For full series info, please visit https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Riding/Dirt/EventsAndSeries/NationalAdventureRide.aspx.

About the American Motorcyclist Association

Since 1924, the AMA has protected the future of motorcycling and promoted the motorcycle lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life, and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycling rights organization, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations, and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition and motorcycle recreational events than any other organization in the world. AMA members receive money-saving discounts from dozens of well-known suppliers of motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rental, transport, hotel stays and more. Through its support of the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations. For more information, please visit AmericanMotorcyclist.com.

That's very nice. I'd like to get in on that. Now I have a reason to join AMA. Just hope there's some 2012s in 2011 to participate. The way things are going across the big pond, it could be iffy.

AMA S10 review...

The 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere is a hungry bike. Long distance touring? Eats it up. Throttling through the twisties? Eats it up. Back country camping with a heavy load (including someone to share your sleeping bag if you want)? Eats it up.
Yamaha, too, is hungry—hungry for a piece of the adventure bike pie. This motorcycle gives the company a serious shot at eating its fill.
:yahoo:

I started a thread over on the ADV site about a similar brake set up in mechanical parts as the bmw gs 800... There was a guy that seamed to have a fender failure and the cross over brake line hung on the tire and locked up the tire. Made him crash on dirt/gravel road at 50 mph......

Being that the Super Tenere has the same "type" set up, what are your thoughts about going to a dual separate brake lines for each calliper...

Here is the post, the first post as the crash video... https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236

I started a thread over on the ADV site about a similar brake set up in mechanical parts as the bmw gs 800... There was a guy that seamed to have a fender failure and the cross over brake line hung on the tire and locked up the tire. Made him crash on dirt/gravel road at 50 mph......

Being that the Super Tenere has the same "type" set up, what are your thoughts about going to a dual separate brake lines for each calliper...

Here is the post, the first post as the crash video... https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236
Same answer I gave on ADV to somebody else who started a similar thread:

It probably would cost an extra 20 cents to run separate brake lines and I'm sure that some bean counter at Yamaha weighed this against potential failure modes and potential litigation costs. In the real world, the bike is designed to be sold to customers in all environments.

If you ride where there's a lot of brush and sticks, the low crossover would be harder to snag, versus two longer lines. Also consider that post-factory changes typically are the things that fail. If you are changing the brake lines &/or the front fender, all bets are off and it comes down to YOUR changes versus YOUR riding.

I've got a FJR and am waiting for a SuperT. I'll wait to mod the SuperT until a real need is shown. So far, the owners who've had them haven't found that need.

Tenere looks a great machine in the same vein as the legendary Transalp/Africa Twin, but sadly just too big and heavy for me. At 5'-8", any lengthy off-road use would be a bit much for me to handle in a 600 pound bike. So looks like a Wee-Strom ABS is going to fit the bill as it is smaller/lighter. The only downside is the motor is not the most potent thing for road use. Oh well, as long as I'm not 2-up or heavily loaded down, should not be too much of an issue. And about 1/2 the price of a Tenere. Wonder what kind of fuel mileage/range one could expect on the Tenere?

Tenere looks a great machine in the same vein as the legendary Transalp/Africa Twin, but sadly just too big and heavy for me. At 5'-8", any lengthy off-road use would be a bit much for me to handle in a 600 pound bike. So looks like a Wee-Strom ABS is going to fit the bill as it is smaller/lighter. The only downside is the motor is not the most potent thing for road use. Oh well, as long as I'm not 2-up or heavily loaded down, should not be too much of an issue. And about 1/2 the price of a Tenere. Wonder what kind of fuel mileage/range one could expect on the Tenere?
Karl - You might try the SuperT before writing it off. First off, the weight is the same as your FJR and carried a lot lower. Second, the owner of the Irish SuperT wrecked in Morroco is also 5'8" and bought a lowered seat. He said that after sitting on the stock seat in the lower position, he never put on the aftermarket seat. He can't quite fully flat foot on both sides together, but is close enough that he's comfortable.

Your Wee comments are like comparing apples and bananas. If you want to go there, my KLR is a lot less expensive than your Wee. :p Which also means nothing, as each is what it is.

There're guys who go off-road with sportbikes regularly, it's all a matter of how "offroad" you mean. The offroad limits of the Wee offroad aren't with the motor, they're the lack of ground clearance and soft suspension.

fwiw, in riding Skyline Drive the last couple of days, my FJR got better mileage than my son't WeeStrom, and that's using pump figures. Of course, the old man doesn't shift as much and knows to keep a throttle steady. ;)

Fuel mileage people are reporting for the SuperT is just slightly less than that of the FJR, frequently a gph or two less. Makes sense, as both bore about the same size hole thru the air, similar weight, etc.

There're guys who go off-road with sportbikes regularly, it's all a matter of how "offroad" you mean. The offroad limits of the Wee offroad aren't with the motor, they're the lack of ground clearance and soft suspension.

You mean like this fella?

Original youtube had Red Hot Chili Peppers on this video nuked. Too bad.

Karl,

Even if your not looking for a new bike you should throw a leg over the new Tenere for 'fun'..... I think you would be surprised :rolleyes:

It probably would cost an extra 20 cents to run separate brake lines and I'm sure that some bean counter at Yamaha weighed this against potential failure modes and potential litigation costs. In the real world, the bike is designed to be sold to customers in all environments.

If you ride where there's a lot of brush and sticks, the low crossover would be harder to snag, versus two longer lines. Also consider that post-factory changes typically are the things that fail. If you are changing the brake lines &/or the front fender, all bets are off and it comes down to YOUR changes versus YOUR riding.

I've got a FJR and am waiting for a SuperT. I'll wait to mod the SuperT until a real need is shown. So far, the owners who've had them haven't found that need.

Agree,, thanks for your post on both forums. Yea, at this point I think the only dumb part is the skid plate bolted to the oil sump that is cast... :blink: That's why im working on my own... Super Skidder :lol:

Agree,, thanks for your post on both forums. Yea, at this point I think the only dumb part is the skid plate bolted to the oil sump that is cast... :blink: That's why im working on my own... Super Skidder :lol:
If you come up with a good one are you going to go comercial or jusy planning a one off ?

Karl - You might try the SuperT before writing it off. First off, the weight is the same as your FJR and carried a lot lower. Second, the owner of the Irish SuperT wrecked in Morroco is also 5'8" and bought a lowered seat. He said that after sitting on the stock seat in the lower position, he never put on the aftermarket seat. He can't quite fully flat foot on both sides together, but is close enough that he's comfortable.

Your Wee comments are like comparing apples and bananas. If you want to go there, my KLR is a lot less expensive than your Wee. :p Which also means nothing, as each is what it is.

fwiw, in riding Skyline Drive the last couple of days, my FJR got better mileage than my son't WeeStrom, and that's using pump figures. Of course, the old man doesn't shift as much and knows to keep a throttle steady. ;)

Fuel mileage people are reporting for the SuperT is just slightly less than that of the FJR, frequently a gph or two less. Makes sense, as both bore about the same size hole thru the air, similar weight, etc.
Thanks for the feedback. I have ridden a friends KLR and that single thumper was pretty vibey for me, so not really an option as I have arthritis in my hands and the vibes contribute to the problems. I had the same issue with an F650 I rented on Oahu a few years back. My hands were numb for hours after taking that thing around the island. But the V-twin motor on the Wee was very smooth when I test rode a used one I found on Craigslist last year, with the only "complaint" being a bit underpowered when it comes to passing on the road. But I think Dale Walker has some nice bits to give it a boost. Still no concerns at all with offroad power.

Another option I am considering is that ER-6N as a converted dual purpose. I think that little bike would be a lot of fun after putting some Pirelli MT-60R tires (60% on/40%off) on it. Everybody raves about that parallel twin motor being nice and torquey. So I guess I am looking for something that is fairly small and light for when the pavement ends, but still have reasonable power on the road with minimal vibration. I just see so many guys with their big GS1200 and the like being beat to a pulp after fighting that big bulky machine all day in the silt and mud. If only the Tenere was 100 pounds lighter. But it is a serious machine intended for serious adventure. Just a bit too much bike for what I intend to do.

...Another option I am considering is that ER-6N as a converted dual purpose. ... So I guess I am looking for something that is fairly small and light for when the pavement ends, but still have reasonable power on the road with minimal vibration. I just see so many guys with their big GS1200 and the like being beat to a pulp after fighting that big bulky machine all day in the silt and mud. If only the Tenere was 100 pounds lighter. But it is a serious machine intended for serious adventure. Just a bit too much bike for what I intend to do.
Two other bikes you might consider that are massively under-rated are the Ulysses and Versys. Both suffer from SFTS (Small Front Tire Syndrome), but actually do well with some common sense. Both have lowering links available and sound like they'd hit your "wants."

...Another option I am considering is that ER-6N as a converted dual purpose. ... So I guess I am looking for something that is fairly small and light for when the pavement ends, but still have reasonable power on the road with minimal vibration. I just see so many guys with their big GS1200 and the like being beat to a pulp after fighting that big bulky machine all day in the silt and mud. If only the Tenere was 100 pounds lighter. But it is a serious machine intended for serious adventure. Just a bit too much bike for what I intend to do.
Two other bikes you might consider that are massively under-rated are the Ulysses and Versys. Both suffer from SFTS (Small Front Tire Syndrome), but actually do well with some common sense. Both have lowering links available and sound like they'd hit your "wants."

Yeah, I looked at the Versys but I can't understand Kawi's marketing strategy. I mean that bike is almost identical to the ER-6N except for a bit more suspension travel and .9 gallons more fuel capacity. But the ER-6N is $1000 less at $6699 MSRP. So you could probably get the thing for $6000 OTD. At that price, it's almost disposable so I can thrash the snot out of it through rivers and mud without really caring too much. Will just have to get my neighbor to fab out a skid plate to keep from bashing in the exhaust first time I bottom out on a rock.

Latest posts