ZX-14 info in Motorcyclist

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since most of us haven't ridden either the ZX-14 or the K1200-, let alone both, I think it will be interesting to hear what the media professionals say if and when they do a comparo.
I've ridden the K1200R, obviously not a ZX-14R. I've ridden several Hayabusas. As nice as the BMW is, it's not in the same performance league/class as the big Kaw. The 14 is a GT bike, perhaps they'll bring over a more ST-oriented machine in the future, but as of right now, they are going directly after the 'Busa.

Brundog and Fallen Jim, yeah I'm serious. There's a little more to a sport-touring bike than rear wheel horspower.
:blink: I haven't seen any articles where Kawasaki refers to the ZX14 as a sport tourer.

It is in fact a open class GT. The beemer can't even spank the ZX12r or Busa,so how do you think it could stand up against a bike with even more H.P. and torque?

I had to think it over in my head quite a bit before convincing

myself to keep the FJR. The main reason was comfort and maintanance.

The reason i got the FJR was for comfort on longer rides and lack of chain maintnance.

Another reason not to get the ZX14 is i would either end up dead or in jail.

When i had my ZX12 it was to damn easy to be above 160mph in a short time

and the adrenline rush was addictive.

Kawasaki has only two things in mind when designing the ZX14,

straight ahead performance both 1/4 mile and top end.

Everything else is just a bonus if it works well. Stu.

I think this bike can be whatever you want it to be.

It will be sweet as a touring bike. At 460 lbs dry, figure around 500 wet, it will be incredible. Who gives a crap about the chain. Sealed O-ring lasts longer and easy to fix. Ride it till it breaks.

Check out this dash:

030306side5.jpg

I can read it now: '05 FJR ABS for sale. LOW miles...

-BD

It will be sweet as a touring bike. At 460 lbs dry, figure around 500 wet, it will be incredible. Who gives a crap about the chain. Sealed O-ring lasts longer and easy to fix. Ride it till it breaks.

Check out this dash:

030306side5.jpg

I can read it now: '05 FJR ABS for sale. LOW miles...

-BD
I totally agree. And next year it will probably have ABS as it does in Europe now.

Here is a full review guys

https://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.p...21992&set_time=

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Stu64, my comment about sport-touring comparos was made because there were a few posts about adding bags to the ZX-14 and having a decent bike for touring. There are other bikes such as the BMW K1200 that fit that description, I think. The judging criteria as a sport-tourer would be different than the GT category criteria. Just wondering "if" the comparison were done this way, how would they turn out.

Going to be nice to see this Kawasaki when the dealer gets on.

BrunDog Posted on Mar 4 2006, 08:40 AM
BD, I too totally agree with your statement. That is the essence of the 14R and what Kawasaki evidentially had in mind when they designed it. This bike will be good at the strip as well as an all day comfort machine on the streets and be a great long distance touring weapon. The early reviews all confirm this.

Here are some more pics from the cockpit with a different perspective on how the colors are inverted for night driving. Click for NIGHT & DAY

WOW!! I heard the hype but the pictures don't lie.

What's interesting about this picture??

zzr%201400%20gris%20abs%20version%20definitive5.jpg

Can you say, "Anti-lock Braking System" and "Centerstand"???

Tick tock tick tock there is a new GT/ST king on the horizon....

-BD

BrunDog Posted Mar 16 2006, 04:31 PM
What's interesting about this picture??

Can you say, "Anti-lock Braking System" and "Centerstand"???

Tick tock tick tock there is a new GT/ST king on the horizon....

-BD
zzr%201400%20gris%20abs%20version%20definitive5.jpg

BD, sorry dude but that is old news. It has been known for sometime now that ABS will only be offered in parts of Europe for ‘06. There is a *small* possibility (rumor) that in ‘07 ABS will be offered to the States…but I wouldn’t hold my breath. The center-stand is no doubt nice to have for sport-touring.

Here are a few quick things to add about the 14R I found interesting:

-The ribbed side panels are actually anti-heat shields. It has been reported from early test riders that they feel no engine heat. A good feature for people who reside in the South.

-XX riders who where lucky enough to test ride the new 14R in Daytona said the 14R engine is buttery smooth. They said it was even smoother than a XX! Now that is saying a lot! The XX has well been known to be the “smoothest/creamiest” inline-4 to-date.

-Rumors are still floating around that Kawasaki will release factory hard bags at a later date.

No doubt the 14 still has my attention and is fun to follow. As of today, the 14s have not hit the U.S. dealerships. Cheers.

Smoother than an XX? Excuse me - oops, sorry I just spooged in my pants. I've been missing my XX - silky smooth. Hard to imagine a "sport-tourer" or GT that is smoother. The FJR is pretty good, but not silky smooth.

Dang it. Do I have to go down to the dealer and ride one? Mo' money.

Yeah, I kept "hearing" about the ABS too.

But pictures don't lie, and now I am a believer.

C'mon KAWA!!! Bags and risers on the ABS model and the dishes are done.

-BD

Whatever BrunDog.
Do you really need another garage queen? :eek:
I was thinking about teasing Brundog about that but I didn't want to earn myself one of those funky avatarts. :D :D :D

TahoeBound Posted Mar 16 2006, 11:58 PMDang it. Do I have to go down to the dealer and ride one? Mo' money.
TahoeBound, plan on taking your wallet when going to the stealership. LOL. So many things about the 14R are just so right. LOL.

More interesting 14R tidbits I should have added above regarding the 14Rs fuel range:

Early test drive reports have achieved 50 mpg (highway) with the 6-speed transmission. The 14R is equipped with a 5.8 gallon fuel tank. I also see no problem with the 14R equaling the FJRs fuel range if you do the math, it can actually exceed it (assuming a careful throttle hand lol). The FJR with its 5-speed transmission as we know, gets an average of 40 mpg (highway). Summary: great to have a bike that can go 200 + miles before worrying about fueling or touching a toe-down. Cool.

650cent Posted Mar 17 2006, 08:17 AM Yes I think straight line performance is wild but how does it do in the twisties?
Bill, I imagine it will handle somewhere between the 10R and 12R. Basically, this bike will kick ass for a big GT bike in the twisties. For a bike *in this class*, I don’t think anything will be able to beat it (for ‘06).

The ZX14R is a sweet bike, I looked it over at the bike show in Seattle....but wait untill you get an insurance quote, you better be sitting down! The quote I got was about 3 times what I pay for the 05 FJR. :blink:

super d  Posted on Apr 2 2006, 01:35 PMThe ZX14R is a sweet bike, I looked it over at the bike show in Seattle....but wait untill you get an insurance quote, you better be sitting down! The quote I got was about 3 times what I pay for the 05 FJR. :blink:
Try State Farm...it's a non-issue. They don't care if it's a Busa, ZX-14 or an FJR. They are all priced the same and classify by cc (at least in my area).