2012 Breaks Interstate Camping Trip, May 18-20

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, so many good roads & so little time to ride em, eh?

I'm thinking that we (as in Jay & I) will leave here thurday evening after I get off from work, stay somewhere enroute... & finish the ride to the campground on Friday morning. I'm planning a couple of shorties for the folks that come in on Friday & want to ride after setting up camp. That is if they want them.

Saturday is the only full day that I will get to ride. I plan to make the best of it. I already have a route picked as my favorite.

Is it May, yet?
Well, I am definite. Janet may not be. Either way lets keep in touch, because leaving Thursday sounds awesome.

I'm thinking that we (as in Jay & I) will leave here thurday evening after I get off from work, stay somewhere enroute... & finish the ride to the campground on Friday morning. I'm planning a couple of shorties for the folks that come in on Friday & want to ride after setting up camp. That is if they want them.

Saturday is the only full day that I will get to ride. I plan to make the best of it. I already have a route picked as my favorite.

Is it May, yet?
This is getting me thinking - how early can we get there on Friday and set up? I want to spend as much as 2 full days riding down there that I can. I'm planning on using Sunday as my ride home day. Can you come in Thursday and add an individual night of camping?

Is it May, yet?
Well, I am definite. Janet may not be. Either way lets keep in touch, because leaving Thursday sounds awesome.
I will also be leaving on thurs. from Indy. Heidi or anyone else that knows an interesting route to Breaks, I'd love to know about it. Its a 400 mi trip but if it takes 600mi thats ok too :yahoo:

Bryan

I will also be leaving on thurs. from Indy. Heidi or anyone else that knows an interesting route to Breaks, I'd love to know about it. Its a 400 mi trip but if it takes 600mi thats ok too :yahoo:

Bryan
I might be able to help you out there Bryan if you have MS S&T 2010. You leaving Thursday to get there Thursday night?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryan
I might be able to help you out there Bryan if you have MS S&T 2010. You leaving Thursday to get there Thursday night?
As long as Im there by Fri. afternoon Im good. I dont have S&T yet but Im thinkin bout it.

Is it May, yet?
This is getting me thinking - how early can we get there on Friday and set up? I want to spend as much as 2 full days riding down there that I can. I'm planning on using Sunday as my ride home day. Can you come in Thursday and add an individual night of camping?
According to the Reserve America site you can checkin anytime after 4:00 p.m. Once the campground opens in March, I'll give them a call and find out if that can be moved up.

Is it May, yet?

Bryan
Hey Bryan, check this out...

https://www.mapquest.com/?version=1.0&hk=7-ZjiBPHfZ

Is it May, yet?

Bryan

https://www.mapquest.com/?version=1.0&hk=7-ZjiBPHfZ
Thanks Joe, that route looks interesting, with minimal interstate. I went to the amazon and bought S&T 2010 for $16.99 which sounded like a steal. Hopefully it plays well with my nuvi

Jay & I will spend hours riding straight & boring roads before coming to anything slightly interesting. I envy you guys that will have an interesting ride there.

Bob, I will definitely keep in touch. Maybe we can meet somewhere Thursday evening. Please tell "Spanky" that we will certainly miss her if she's a no go.

Bryan

https://www.mapquest....0&hk=7-ZjiBPHfZ
Thanks Joe, that route looks interesting, with minimal interstate. I went to the amazon and bought S&T 2010 for $16.99 which sounded like a steal. Hopefully it plays well with my nuvi
2010 is great for planning a route. 2010 does export a gpx file. Does your Nuvi work on Map Source? If so, you can manipulate that gpx file so that the file plays nice with the settings you have on your gps.

Bob, I will definitely keep in touch. Maybe we can meet somewhere Thursday evening. Please tell "Spanky" that we will certainly miss her if she's a no go.
I am working on Spanky. I am not letting her get out of going very easy. Actually, you know her. If there were no other influences she would always choose to ride. Any idea of where you might plan to overnight Thursday?

Any idea of where you might plan to overnight Thursday?
I am definitely speaking out of turn, here. I have not approached Jay about this at all... but I'd think that we'll head out on 460... so, I'd think somewhere close to 460.

Roanoke would put us within a decent distance of Breaks... but that's just my ideas... & just off the top of my head. I am not looking at a map. I will need to discuss this with Jay, also.

I am definitely speaking out of turn, here. I have not approached Jay about this at all... but I'd think that we'll head out on 460... so, I'd think somewhere close to 460.

Roanoke would put us within a decent distance of Breaks... but that's just my ideas... & just off the top of my head. I am not looking at a map. I will need to discuss this with Jay, also.
I guess it will really depend on what time you are planning on leaving. I was thinking Hungry Mother. then we could ride the 16 loop I was talking about earlier Friday on the way to Breaks.

I guess it will really depend on what time you are planning on leaving. I was thinking Hungry Mother. then we could ride the 16 loop I was talking about earlier Friday on the way to Breaks.
Now you got me thinking that I might be able to head down Thursday and meet up with you at Hungry Mother around 6:30-7:00(happy hour) :yahoo: :drinks:

I guess my first step should be finding out where hungry mother state park is. Lol! & about time of departure: I am not totally positive what time we'd be on the road. I can tell you this for sure... when I am not at work I do not get paid. I have absolutely no vacation time to burn. With that said, I am assuming that it won't be before noon or later.

Edited to add: I just looked where HMSP is. I think that I can safely say that if I don't have the entire day off, we would not make that.

I guess my first step should be finding out where hungry mother state park is. Lol! & about time of departure: I am not totally positive what time we'd be on the road. I can tell you this for sure... when I am not at work I do not get paid. I have absolutely no vacation time to burn. With that said, I am assuming that it won't be before noon or later.

Edited to add: I just looked where HMSP is. I think that I can safely say that if I don't have the entire day off, we would not make that.
Heidi - If you could leave at noon or 1 you could probably make it. That would be slab all the way, but then that gives all day friday to play on some awesome roads. Google says 301 miles for me. I would need to leave around the same time.

Joe - 6 to 7:30 PM time frame would work

Heidi - If you could leave at noon or 1 you could probably make it. That would be slab all the way, but then that gives all day friday to play on some awesome roads. Google says 301 miles for me. I would need to leave around the same time.

400 miles (6.5 hrs) according to Mapquest for me. I could leave work at 11:30 and be there for Happy Hour

400 miles (6.5 hrs) according to Mapquest for me. I could leave work at 11:30 and be there for Happy Hour
OK. Let's wait and see what the VaBe people are gonna do.

I am not a VaBe person. I am a proud Norfolkian!