2007 SW-FOG 5/31-6/3 2007

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kindofblue

Reaction score
The SW-FOG is back!

I'm working on hotels here in Albuquerque for Thursday eve 5/31. We'll have a welcome dinner here and raffle.

I've reserved a block of rooms at the Kachina Lodge in Taos NM for Friday and Saturday nights at a great rate of $69 per room. The Kachina is within walking distance of the town square and numerous art galleries, museums, and shopping. So if your pillions wants a break from riding they can spend the day at some incredible art galleries, white water rafting (Pilar is tame, the Taos Box can be wild), fly fishing, etc...

I'm still working on the web site but wanted to let you know now that I've decided on the dates and the lodge in Taos. More anon....

Last edited by a moderator:
The SW-FOG is back! I'm working on hotels here in Albuquerque for Thursday eve 5/31. We'll have a welcome dinner here and raffle.

I've reserved a block of rooms at the Kachina Lodge in Taos NM for Friday and Saturday nights at a great rate of $69 per room. The Kachina is within walking distance of the town square and numerous art galleries, museums, and shopping. So if your pillions wants a break from riding they can spend the day at some incredible art galleries, white water rafting (Pilar is tame, the Taos Box can be wild), fly fishing, etc...

I'm still working on the web site but wanted to let you know now that I've decided on the dates and the lodge in Taos. More anon....
What are the expected temps for that time of year? I'd like to visit NM, just not during 100+. :)

What are the expected temps for that time of year? I'd like to visit NM, just not during 100+. :)
Albuquerque is at 5-6,200 feet in elevation and there's typically a 30 degree temp difference between daytime highs and nighttime lows. The end of May can be hot in the late afternoon (90's) but the temp drops quickly after the sun goes down. When it's hot like that we schedule our rides in the early morning to be done before the heat of the afternoon hits. That said, we could have 100 degree days during that time. No guarantees from the management :lol: Clicky here for seasonal weather averages for Abq NM.

The ride up to Sandia crest (one option) goes from 6,000' to 10,400'.

Taos is at 7100' elevation and is usually 5-10 degrees cooler than Albuquerque. The rides from Taos go up to 8-10,000'. Clicky here for seasonal weather averages for Taos

The end of May and early June is typically dry (i.e., no thunderstorms or monsoons).

I plan to attend even tho' the wife has opted out. Hope to get a buddy to go again.

B)

I plan to attend even tho' the wife has opted out. Hope to get a buddy to go again. B)
Glad to hear it. The more the merrier. We'll be riding in small groups anyway so with more riders we'll just have more groups. I never could understand large parades of riders when the purpose is to ride the sweepers, twisties, etc...

Central and northern NM are under several feet of snow right now but that'll make for some great wildflower displays in the uper elevations in May.

We'll be staying at the Kachina Inn in Taos which has a really good parking (next to rooms), a pool, outdoor patio, and evening Native American entertainment. They're willing to cater dinners for us on the patio too.

When you make reservations for Friday and Saturday at the Kachina Lodge (tel 800.KACHINA) in Taos, be sure to tell 'em you're with the SW-FOG FJR rally. That'll get you our discounted rate.

I plan to attend even tho' the wife has opted out. Hope to get a buddy to go again. B)
Glad to hear it. The more the merrier. We'll be riding in small groups anyway so with more riders we'll just have more groups. I never could understand large parades of riders when the purpose is to ride the sweepers, twisties, etc...

Central and northern NM are under several feet of snow right now but that'll make for some great wildflower displays in the uper elevations in May.

We'll be staying at the Kachina Inn in Taos which has a really good parking (next to rooms), a pool, outdoor patio, and evening Native American entertainment. They're willing to cater dinners for us on the patio too.

When you make reservations for Friday and Saturday at the Kachina Lodge (tel 800.KACHINA) in Taos, be sure to tell 'em you're with the SW-FOG FJR rally. That'll get you our discounted rate.
Are they able to take reservations now, or should we wait until later for the go ahead?

B)

Thanks to many fjrforum members and vendors the current value of our raffle (at dinner Thursday) is over $1000 (as of 1/3/07)! I have more solicitations out but this is a great start. All funds from the raffle and registration fees (less a few expenses) will be donated to Moderation Management, a self-help group for problem/heavy drinkers.

How many people attended last year. I live in Wichita, KS and want to do one rally this year. I haven't done a mapquest yet, but I am considering this or CFO in Dakota.

How many people attended last year. I live in Wichita, KS and want to do one rally this year. I haven't done a mapquest yet, but I am considering this or CFO in Dakota.
MKO, It wasn't held last year. A couple riders in AZ asked to organize it and it never happened. So I've taken it back. In 2005 we had about 42 people actually show up. Do a google map of the mountains north of Albuquerque to the Colorado border and you'll see what kind of terrain you'd be riding in if you came to SW-FOG. And Taos, our base on Fri-Sun., is a destination of its own.

Are you really 91 years old (according to your profile)?

The SW-FOG is back! I'm working on hotels here in Albuquerque for Thursday eve 5/31. We'll have a welcome dinner here and raffle.

Good on ya. Is it too late to put-in a vote for the Plaza Inn in Abq for the Thurs nite festivities?

Hmmm, SPORT-Touring Rallies in N. NM, Park City UT, Black Hills -- what does that say.....?

Too bad we can't have one in the Ozarks.....? :blink: :rolleyes:

Hey blue, Like the sounds of what you've started here. Looking forward to the festivities. Love the ride around the ANGEL FIRE area. See you all in May. :drinks:

and evening Native American entertainment.
S'okay, you can call them 'indians'. We do.

There's a fairly decent brewpub within walking distance from the Kachina--as long as you can stand the dreadlocks, patchouli and the old hippy women who look like someone sewed their heads together out of football leather before the dog chewed on their haircut.

There is also World's Worst Arby's nearby. The mayo is hot and the beef is cold, but they'll let you sit there and drink your own beer in the booth....

You'll be glad you're on a motorcycle when you see the gas prices up there. I like the Kachina, it's a pretty nice place.

Take jackets, it'll be damn cold at night up there in May.