200ccccc Attempt-10/10ths

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crap! I've got to work on the 15th - no way around it right now. If I can finagle it (is that a word?), maybe I could take the afternoon off on the 15th, find you, and spend one night on the road. Failing that, perhaps I could take off on the 16th and ride East to meet ya'll for the day.

Either way, I'm subscribed here....

Crap! I've got to work on the 15th - no way around it right now. If I can finagle it (is that a word?), maybe I could take the afternoon off on the 15th, find you, and spend one night on the road. Failing that, perhaps I could take off on the 16th and ride East to meet ya'll for the day.
Either way, I'm subscribed here....
I should be staying in Monroe for a few days before taking a back roads ride back up north in time for CFO/NAFO.

You freakin' monster. Best of luck! I'll be watching your SPOT.
I am hungry for a Canteen piece of PIE !!! (or 2)
punk.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone ought to write a coffee table book:

101 Pie Places you'd ride 500 miles to visit.

The research involved in a project like that would be heavenly!

Update:

Aiming for: Departure: West Palm Beach, FL Saturday Aug 30 0600

BBG: Sonora, TX Sunday Aug 31 0600 (0500 local)

50cc: San Diego, CA Monday Sep 01 0200 (2300 local Aug 31)

Departure: San Diego, CA Monday Sep 01 0600 (0300 Local) (48 hour turn) (-2)

BBG: Winnie, TX Tuesday Sep 02 0600 (0500 Local)

100ccc Jacksonville Beach, FL Wednesday Sep 03 0100 (Motel)

Departure: Jacksonville Beach, FL Wednesday Sep 03 0600 (48 hour turn) (-2)

BBG: Van Horn, TX Thursday Sep 04 0600 (0500 Local)

150cccc San Diego, CA Friday Sep 05 0100 (2200 Local Sep 4) (Motel)

Departure: San Diego, CA Saturday Sep 05 0600 (0300 Local) (48 hour turn) (-2)

BBG: Winnie, TX Sunday Sep 06 0600 (0500 Local)

200ccccc Jacksonville Beach, FL Monday Sep 07 0600 -8 hours total for sleep (Motel ?)

Departure: 1400 hours To Woodstock, GA for Traxxion Service on Suspension on Tuesday

Departure: When Services are complete for Des Moines, IA

This schedule is a "If all goes well" scenario . There will be a tire change needed somewhere. I hope to keep on schedule on the last leg in case I need a new tire before Jacksonville.

That would really suck to lose a ride on the home stretch.

I am almost sick to my stomach reading that schedule. I remember my sense of accomplishment doing my SS1K and I remember how bad my butt hurt the next day. I still throw that SS1K out there when some know it all starts running his mouth. Most of my local Harley crowd don't really believe it can be done.

Those folks would puke if they read that schedule.

I am almost sick to my stomach reading that schedule. I remember my sense of accomplishment doing my SS1K and I remember how bad my butt hurt the next day. I still throw that SS1K out there when some know it all starts running his mouth. Most of my local Harley crowd don't really believe it can be done.
Those folks would puke if they read that schedule.
And if I read it after day 1… It will be a short ride.
weirdsmiley.gif
Just like putting on a pair of jeans, I just need to remember "One leg at a time"

I think the turn around in Jacksonville beach will be my "Why" moment… "Why not turn south and forget this nonsense" but then, that

is why I am doing this ride in the heat and I-10, to see if I can push on. You know the old right and left side of the brain so to speak.
argue.gif

So Tony, is there anything special you do during the week prior to a ride like this to prepare yourself? I know you prep your bike, but how do you prep yourself physically and mentally?

I know distance runners lighten up on their physical training, change their diet a bit and get more rest.

Good luck, I'll certainly be following you on Spot.

And if I read it after day 1… It will be a short ride.
weirdsmiley.gif
Just like putting on a pair of jeans, I just need to remember "One leg at a time"I think the turn around in Jacksonville beach will be my "Why" moment… "Why not turn south and forget this nonsense" but then, that

is why I am doing this ride in the heat and I-10, to see if I can push on. You know the old right and left side of the brain so to speak.
argue.gif
You don't need me to tell you how these rides are accomplished, but for the benefit of others reading this ...

The key phrase in that quoted text is one leg at a time.

One of the first things I learned when LD Riding is that thinking about the totality of what you are trying to achieve plays tricks with your mind and can be overwhelming at times. I learned fast not to think much further ahead than my next planned stop, and that when all those "little bits" were added up, the ride would be done without ever having to think more than one gas tank ahead.

I wrote this in a Ride Report, and I think it sums up the frame of mind you need quite well:

"I find myself out there with the tarmac under the wheels and the desert as my destination. I have miles to cover. They are the same number of miles whether I go North, South, East or West. They are the same miles when I see a sign saying "Albuquerque 360", and I know that city isn't even close to where I am going, to turn around and come back. But it messes with your head because it sounds like a long way. I never think of the totality of a journey. I navigate rallies bonus to bonus, breaking down the day into bite-sized chunks, all the time knowing that if I later add up those chunks I will have done the miles too."

First, I am subscribed and will be following your spot! Second, I am green with envy. Third, I am in awe. Fourth, inspired. Thanks for sharing!

On another note, why Winnie Texas? Anything particular? I am in the process of planning just a meager single coast to coast ride next spring, followed by a jaunt down to Key West before returning home. And in my planning I chose to hit Beaumont Texas after San Diego to complete a BBG, because I thought there would be more choices of Hotels/fuel stops closer to the 'slab' to make it easier for a stop/rest over. I figured on spending the cash for a hotel in the middle of the ride could be beneficial to me - a hot shower, comfortable bed for a short nap break. Any insight for a newbie?

And +1 for breaking the ride up into short goals, (fuel stops). I just naturally did this in my mind on my SS1K last May, and it helped me out a lot. Never got 'overwhelmed' with the totality of what I was doing. Like my vast experienced opinions matters any. But I can relate to people just getting started, as that's where I am.

First, I am subscribed and will be following your spot! Second, I am green with envy. Third, I am in awe. Fourth, inspired. Thanks for sharing!

On another note, why Winnie Texas? Anything particular? I am in the process of planning just a meager single coast to coast ride next spring, followed by a jaunt down to Key West before returning home. And in my planning I chose to hit Beaumont Texas after San Diego to complete a BBG, because I thought there would be more choices of Hotels/fuel stops closer to the 'slab' to make it easier for a stop/rest over. I figured on spending the cash for a hotel in the middle of the ride could be beneficial to me - a hot shower, comfortable bed for a short nap break. Any insight for a newbie?

And +1 for breaking the ride up into short goals, (fuel stops). I just naturally did this in my mind on my SS1K last May, and it helped me out a lot. Never got 'overwhelmed' with the totality of what I was doing. Like my vast experienced opinions matters any. But I can relate to people just getting started, as that's where I am.
Winnie, TX is the traditional BBG from the west as Van Horn is the traditional BBG fuel stop from the east. My fuel stop is actually just west of Beaumont.

My fuel cell will determine my refueling as I have difficulty with transfer in the heat. The 1st 10n10 and the IBR found me on the side of the road "Out of fuel"

with a full tank behind me.
fool.gif

and +1 for a mid ride motel. The rest at a rest stop with 100 degree temps is NOT the desired method, but I need to cut cost.

I will be riding with a heavy heart as I just had to say goodbye to my wonderful dog. My "Zorro de Blanco"

He will ride with me in my thoughts. And I will miss his greeting when I return home.
sadsmiley.gif

Just catching up on the forum after a week away...

Tony, you sir, are a monster.

Planning to see you in LaCrosse...let me know if you need a tire changed (or anything else) while blasting through Iowa...

Shane

So Tony, is there anything special you do during the week prior to a ride like this to prepare yourself? I know you prep your bike, but how do you prep yourself physically and mentally?
I know distance runners lighten up on their physical training, change their diet a bit and get more rest.

Good luck, I'll certainly be following you on Spot.
I leave out on the typical ride with stuff falling off the bike. When it comes to a ride I want to have to do some thinking on the road in a fatigue state of mind.

If I am all planned out, what kind of experience would that give me to ride an IBR?… (Actually I am just a procrastinator) But I will use "training" as an excuse.

I like the rides that start in Key West, then I can stop by home an pick up everything I forgot when I left home.

Physically… I do not drink alcohol before/during any ride of any measure. To me the ride is done / or lost in one's head. All this week at work I will try and hash

out all negative thoughts. I will try and anticipate the big "Why" question, and make sure that I really want or need to accomplish the ride I am attempting. The physical

part of the ride is in bike prep, the body will just have to adjust to whatever discomfort arises. The mental is so much more key for me. I know I need to do this ride,

If I can't finish it due to rider failure- then clearly I should think of hanging up any future rides. (Cert or Rally)

Just catching up on the forum after a week away...
Tony, you sir, are a monster.

Planning to see you in LaCrosse...let me know if you need a tire changed (or anything else) while blasting through Iowa...

Shane
Shane- I will be in and out of Iowa up until NAFO. Sunday after NAFO will have me blazing back to Florida to drop off the '05 and pick up the '08 and wife and

return to Traxxion for services on that bike. Then it will be time for EOM!

Sorry about your dog. I'm sure he was a loyal friend.

If I read your most recent itiniary, you will be heading East from Winnie to Jacksonville on September 7? Does this mean your former plans to play in Louisiana on the 15th/16th are no longer valid? Or were you planning something in Louisiana after your cross crountry ride/race.

I just want to mark my calendar correctly - if I can ride with you, I'd enjoy that.