200ccccc Attempt-10/10ths

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about your dog. I'm sure he was a loyal friend.
If I read your most recent itiniary, you will be heading East from Winnie to Jacksonville on September 7? Does this mean your former plans to play in Louisiana on the 15th/16th are no longer valid? Or were you planning something in Louisiana after your cross crountry ride/race.

I just want to mark my calendar correctly - if I can ride with you, I'd enjoy that.
Once up in Iowa I will attend a family reunion, then I am hoping to attempt a Mississippi Headwaters Ride from Minn. to La. I will stay in Louisianna for a few days (I have friends in Monroe)

They will most likely work during the day, so I will be out riding the area by daylight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:
Aiming for: Departure: West Palm Beach, FL Saturday Aug 30 0600

BBG: Sonora, TX Sunday Aug 31 0600 (0500 local)

50cc: San Diego, CA Monday Sep 01 0200 (2300 local Aug 31)

Departure: San Diego, CA Monday Sep 01 0600 (0300 Local) (48 hour turn) (-2)

BBG: Winnie, TX Tuesday Sep 02 0600 (0500 Local)

100ccc Jacksonville Beach, FL Wednesday Sep 03 0100 (Motel)

Departure: Jacksonville Beach, FL Wednesday Sep 03 0600 (48 hour turn) (-2)

BBG: Van Horn, TX Thursday Sep 04 0600 (0500 Local)

150cccc San Diego, CA Friday Sep 05 0100 (2200 Local Sep 4) (Motel)

Departure: San Diego, CA Saturday Sep 06 0600 (0300 Local) (48 hour turn) (-2)

BBG: Winnie, TX Sunday Sep 07 0600 (0500 Local)

200ccccc Jacksonville Beach, FL Monday Sep 08 0600 -8 hours total for sleep (Motel ?)

Departure: 1400 hours To Woodstock, GA for Traxxion Service on Suspension on Tuesday

Departure: When Services are complete for Des Moines, IA

This schedule is a "If all goes well" scenario . There will be a tire change needed somewhere. I hope to keep on schedule on the last leg in case I need a new tire before Jacksonville.

That would really suck to lose a ride on the home stretch.
I think there's a typo on your second departure from San Diego (unless you're planning on spending 29 hours there): won't you be departing at 0600 (0300 local time) on Friday Sept 05? If so, then the day/dates after that also need to be adjusted.

Maybe I should look at it after dinner when my brain has some rest.

Winnie, TX is the traditional BBG from the west as Van Horn is the traditional BBG fuel stop from the east.
and +1 for a mid ride motel. The rest at a rest stop with 100 degree temps is NOT the desired method, but I need to cut cost.

I will be riding with a heavy heart as I just had to say goodbye to my wonderful dog. My "Zorro de Blanco"

He will ride with me in my thoughts. And I will miss his greeting when I return home.
sadsmiley.gif
Thanks for the answer about Winnie, I was just wondering if there was something I was missing in my own plans.

I get the trying to keep the cost thing down- I am working as many overtime shifts now to help pay for the rides I have planned for NEXT year- The CC, Black Hills FJR round up, and the 2015 SW-FOG. Last week I rode to Yellowstone and the surrounding area for three days and succeeded in my goal of not purchasing anything other than fuel and the entrance to the park. I even went so far as to take my water filter with me to re-fill my water bottles, and brought freeze dried meals from deer hunt stash. I did it to see if I could do it, in case I don't have the money for my planned rides and have to 'go on the cheap'

And unfortunately, I too, understand about your dog. I had to put Baxter down last spring, just plain sucks. Everyone told me to get another dog soon to fill the hole. I put it off, but I did eventually get another dog, but not the same breed, too close to home.

Baxter:
1_zps2da3d417.jpg

Ride safe.

Ok - now I get it. If I can swing it when you are visiting friends in Monroe, I'll come meet you and we can play.

I'm an early riser - so kickstands up by daylight is definitely OK by me.

Looking forward to it.

Tony, since not all of us are familiar with the logistical requirements of some of these Cert Rides (I mean me) what exactly does a Mississippi Headwaters Ride entail? I assume you begin (or end) at the extreme northernmost point of the Mississippi River and you finish at or as near as possible by road to the mouth of the river. Is that the case? What is the southern ending point?

I have no idea if I can swing a day off but I would love to finally meet you in person.

Ok - now I get it. If I can swing it when you are visiting friends in Monroe, I'll come meet you and we can play.
I'm an early riser - so kickstands up by daylight is definitely OK by me.

Looking forward to it.
Sounds great!

Tony, since not all of us are familiar with the logistical requirements of some of these Cert Rides (I mean me) what exactly does a Mississippi Headwaters Ride entail? I assume you begin (or end) at the extreme northernmost point of the Mississippi River and you finish at or as near as possible by road to the mouth of the river. Is that the case? What is the southern ending point?
I have no idea if I can swing a day off but I would love to finally meet you in person.
You got it. Lake Itasca, Mn to Venice, La A BBG ride with tough receipts and start/finish where timing is important.

I will pass through your area on my way back north.

Since Venice is literally "The End of the World" for most folks, do you have a specific point in Venice that you finish? Venice is the Toe of the Boot that is Louisiana so there is only one road in and out of there, the Belle Chase Hwy.

IF, IF, if I can get off of work I would not mind being the signing witness in Venice. Of course that would require some coordination that you probably would not have time for. Now if I could force hppants to treat us to a fishing trip down there and we were already there with cold beers when you arrived... That will probably not happen.

There will be a tire change needed somewhere. I hope to keep on schedule on the last leg in case I need a new tire before Jacksonville.That would really suck to lose a ride on the home stretch.
If this is a concern, why not be preemptive and get fresh meat now? Start on fresh rubber, leave the worn rear at home, mount it up when you don't have as mega a ride planned?

Just a thought.

Got my witness signatures after getting off work tonight, now to finish loading up the bike!I still have not backed out… yet.
uhoh.gif
Hopefully in bed by midnight and off in the morning.
keep the rubber side down and stay alert!

There will be a tire change needed somewhere. I hope to keep on schedule on the last leg in case I need a new tire before Jacksonville.That would really suck to lose a ride on the home stretch.
If this is a concern, why not be preemptive and get fresh meat now? Start on fresh rubber, leave the worn rear at home, mount it up when you don't have as mega a ride planned?

Just a thought.
He will most definitely be starting with fresh rubber.......the distance that will traveled will more than likely require a change...Safe travels Tony!!

Made it through Baton Rouge, about 600 more miles to Sonora TX, which will complete his first BBG!

I hope Tony does a better job of managing his body for this ride. He tends to look like warmed over dog squat when he gets done. His 48++ ride was like that, and the IBR. I don't know how he continues to function on the bike, but I do wish him the best during this challenge. The sleep deprivation is cumulative and it's going to be a bitch to get back on as the ride progresses. I say that having done a 10/10ths and finished an IBR, fwiw. And DNFing the 10-n-10 rally in 2010 with an 11k+ ride. Got out of my rhythm and it cost me. I hope he can stay in his and it works well for him.

We know Tony can do this ... the point seems to be whether or not he wants to.

I'm hoping he finds his mojo, because if he does this will be straightforward for him.