2013 Iron Butt Rally - The Inside View

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... but I'm also disappointed as an armchair participant. I was sooo hoping for a repeat of last year's neck-and-neck epic rides.
There will still be epic rides this year no matter what... or at least that's my opinion and you know what that is worth.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That's horrible news about Eric. Hopefully he can push through and safely make a good ride out of it.

It looks like one rider has made it into my neighborhood. Passing trough JBLM right now. Good time to do it too. Traffic is green across the board, so it should be easy sailing. Looks like a few bonus locations are in the area...possibly even the Boeing plant where the Dreamliner is pieced together, just a few miles from my house.

Hmmm, nevermind. The rider turned west and is headed up the other side of the sound. Destination...Bremerton? Lots of naval ships in the area.

Hmmm, nevermind. The rider turned west and is headed up the other side of the sound. Destination...Bremerton? Lots of naval ships in the area.
How about Tacoma Narrows (Galloping Gertie?) bridge? There were a number of bridges in leg one. There would also be the Hood Canal Floating Bridge.

How about Tacoma Narrows (Galloping Gertie?) bridge? There were a number of bridges in leg one. There would also be the Hood Canal Floating Bridge.
That could be the reason a number of riders headed for Astoria. 520 floating bridge and Tacoma Narrows would also be good choices.

I'm really enjoying following the Spot Tracker map and trying to guess destinations, but I have no idea why most spot trackers are orange, some green and, I believe, a yellow one. Can anyone enlighten me to the color codes?

riders going north are stopping at the Columbia River Maritime Museum and then heading for the narrows bridge.

But what is the rider out in eastern OR doing. Maybe he's from out that way looking for familiar territory. He's bound to be seeing plenty of forest vermin out there.

I'm really enjoying following the Spot Tracker map and trying to guess destinations, but I have no idea why most spot trackers are orange, some green and, I believe, a yellow one. Can anyone enlighten me to the color codes?
Click on the color, green = ok, orange just a regular Spot update. Not sure about yellow...

Click on the color, green = ok, orange just a regular Spot update. Not sure about yellow...
The Spot2 units have the ability to send different messages depending on which button on the unit is pressed.

IIRC, Orange is the standard automatic tracking update, Green = I'm OK, Yellow = a custom message programmed in by the rider and Red = 911 Emergency

Correct. Yellow is a custom message, whereas the green is an OK message, and orange is tracking.

Well, that rider blew past Boeing, soooo...

The train engine and coal car in Newhalem, WA? Plenty of deer to worry about there.

Alaska?

riders going north are stopping at the Columbia River Maritime Museum and then heading for the narrows bridge.
But what is the rider out in eastern OR doing. Maybe he's from out that way looking for familiar territory. He's bound to be seeing plenty of forest vermin out there.
Looks like three that were at the Museum are headed East on US30. The next crossing available appears to be a ferry. Would they? Could they? hmmm. Right or wrong, this is too fun.

edit later: nah. They are past the ferry.

There's the Rainier Bridge crossing over into Longview WA with a good connection to I-5.

For those just following this thread - Mark Starrett posted up for help Below
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/153361-ibr-fjr-rider-needs-assistance-bay-area/

IBR FJR Rider needs assistance - Bay AreaI discovered this morning that my rear brake had gone soft. Stopped at home to check it and my rear caliper is badly damaged. Anyone have access to a rear caliper in the bay area that could loan/sell it to me? I'm in Fremont CA. call me at 510 585-6754

Mark Starrett
Mark has a "05" FJR, not sure if it's abs.
His profile shows FJR1300A - which I believe denotes ABS.
From Mark, "Thanks to the generosity and skill of Alan Pratt, My rear caliper and pads are replaced and I will be back on the road shortly. This may be an individual challenge, but great people like this make it possible!"

Do west-coasters know if the I5 bridge is still out north of Seattle? Looks like 3 riders made it to Canada...

Status
Not open for further replies.