Accu-Pressure Tire Caps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've "heard" valve stem caps like these are not a good idea, as they just added a new point of failure.

I am not sure how often they fail resulting in a leak or flat tire, but the responses I have received from the discerning rider have all been, "avoid".

Had them on my car. Hard to see as soon as a little bit of dirt gets on it. Definitely not accurate, discovered an underinflated tire more than once without seeing a good indication on the cap that it needed attention. One did eventually fail, resulting in a flat tire - didn't realize what the problem was until after the third time I reinflated and took the tire in for (non)repair.

Not sure how accurate the electronic version is; IMHO these will just lull you into a false sense of security - nothing like the old manual once over with a good tire pressure gauge at least once a month and before any long trip or hard ride.

I've heard unconfirmed reports that these 'spin apart' on high speed applications. Therefore, they'd only work on Harleys. :rolleyes:

Buy the Ariete 90 degree valve stems from Sportbike Effects, and get a good gauge.

I know some folks who know some folks who have tried these on their BMW's and have given up on them...

They seemed to be innacurate and tended to leak. They also force you into a set pressure. Not good if you want to run a couple lbs more or less.

Save your money and just invest in good easy to use gauge.

I was given one of these as a gift and it rocks!

EZ-AIR_400-1.jpg

Available here: Best Rest Products

I know some folks who know some folks who have tried these on their BMW's and have given up on them...
They seemed to be innacurate and tended to leak. They also force you into a set pressure. Not good if you want to run a couple lbs more or less.

Save your money and just invest in good easy to use gauge.

I was given one of these as a gift and it rocks!

EZ-AIR_400-1.jpg

Available here: Best Rest Products
I already have a RoadGear digital gauge with a 90 degree neck on it. Tested really well in a review done by one of the rags (meaning it was accurate).

I certainly wouldn't stop checking pressure, just seemed like they may have been a good idea for an eye check while looking over the bike before riding. Sounds like maybe not.

Appreciate the input.

I certainly wouldn't stop checking pressure, just seemed like they may have been a good idea for an eye check while looking over the bike before riding. Sounds like maybe not.
I really am liking my SmarTire monitor system... once installed it's easy peasy lemon squeezy... and seems highly accurate to boot.

I've been running another brand of the same idea, available from NAPA, and am starting to agree with Skooter. 2 have failed, leaving the tire under-inflated. Both were '42' pound caps. OTOH, I've had 50 pounders on my truck (dually, so 6 tires/caps) with no issues.

Jury is still out. But getting close to convicting / evicting..