"Dirt" tires on an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossKean

Reaction score
I know that Canadian FJR and Fjrob put Continental TKC80 tires on their FJRs to run the Trans Labrador highway.  Apparently with good success although longevity may have been an issue (not a surprise).  I have been considering alternate tires for some gravel/dirt roads and was wondering if anyone has tried other brands?

I was looking at some reviews of dual sport tires and it seems that many (most) aren't available in the standard tire size for the FJR.  One, in particular, I was looking at was the Heidenau K60 Scout.

https://www.heidenautires.com/product/k60-scout/

Closest size was 120/90-17 (or 130/80-17) Front and 170/60-17 Rear.  Anyone have an opinion on whether these might work with the FJR?  The tire has a pretty good overall rating and looked like it might not be too bad for street.  Supposed to be pretty long-lasting for a dual sport tire but I would have to check on the load rating, if the size available would work.  Any thoughts?

Scout-Pair-830x966.jpg

H tires are hard as a granite. Wear is good, wet weather horrible. DL650A Suzuki.
Thanks.  I had read some reviews on these and they looked interesting.  Apparently great for wear and pretty good for sand or gravel.  I read they behaved well on dry pavement but not sticky enough for aggressive twisties.   I also read what you mentioned about riding in the wet; nice to get a confirmation on that.  Moot point if those sizes won't work on the FJR.  I wouldn't expect a problem with the 170/60 vs 180/55 for the rear but didn't know if the 90 vs 70 aspect ratio would be too high for the front.  Guess I'll have to do some measurements and calculation for clearance.

I think Michelin makes a 'Trail' version of the PR4 that is made for ADV type rides.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-pilot-road-4-trail-tires              https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/michelin-anakee-3-tires?rrec=true 

My guess is it costs more but may be a better ride too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWng5pEtgkg  

This is THE coolest ride on an FJR I've ever seen!!!      (starts getting crazy @ about 3mins)      (looks like street tires too)

This is where a car tire excels.  Dirt roads, washboards, deep loose sand, sharp gravel, even crossing small creeks- I just stand on the pegs and go.  The hardest part is remembering to put the wind shield down so it doesn't break off.

This is where a car tire excels.  Dirt roads, washboards, deep loose sand, sharp gravel, even crossing small creeks- I just stand on the pegs and go.  The hardest part is remembering to put the wind shield down so it doesn't break off.
I have done the car tire thing a couple of times.  Wanted to like it but never did.  (both Exalto and General Tire)

Just doing a little more reading on the Heidenau K60 Scout.  The 120/90-17 is a TT tire with 64 load rating.  Tube type 617 lb.  Might get away with a tube type tire (without a tube) but would rather not chance it.  (Lots of people do it.)

The 130/80-17 is a TL (tubeless) with a little higher weight rating of 65. (639 Lb)

The 170/60-17 is a TL (tubeless) tire with a 72 weight rating (783 lb)

Looks like the weight ratings are sufficient.  These are "T" rated tires so maximum speed is 118 mph - shouldn't be a problem for this mission. 

Any idea if there would be room for a 130 tire in the front and whether the rim would accommodate this width?  I'm still working on the assumption that the 170 would be OK for the rear...

Scout-60-all.jpg

Continental makes the TKC 80 in FJR size but it is pretty knobby.  The TKC70 is a little more civilized and is also available in FJR sizes and tubeless with sufficient load rating.  Don't think they will get the same mileage but the fit is not in question.  Seems to me I read some unfavorable reviews on the TKC70 front tires... (Head shake or wobble mentioned by a number of reviewers)

tkc70-5.jpg

And then there is a Shinko 705.  Inexpensive and modest ratings.  Widest is a 170/60-17 for the rear.  There is a 120/70-17 front available.

a9a4-58b5b38160d89.jpg

TKC-70 is what you want.  The 80s rocked but overkill for decent dirt roads.

I was also curious about these.

https://www.avontyres.com/en-us/tyres/trailrider?searchtype=car&cartype=motorcycle&car=Yamaha FJR 1300 A %2F AE %2F AS 2016 - 2020&engine_spec=1298

Canadian FJR
I was wondering if you were going to jump in here.  I have never run an Avon tire.  I will look into these.  As far as the TKC70 is concerned, I initially thought it would be a great choice until I started reading reviews on the fronts (vendors websites).  Haven't looked at advrider yet to see what they are saying about them.

Hope restrictions are lifted early enough to at least get a couple of trips in for this year. 

Unrelated beyond it being tires and "off road" vs "street" and my recent personal experiences.

New ebicycle came with aggressive knobbies (pic 1). 2 events, in quick succession learned me [SIC] that I ain't got good sense [pic 2). :(

Switched to more street-oriented tread (pic 3) and that extra street grip (contact patch and composition) seems to have mitigated 1 threepeat.

I'd have disliked the learning experience more if the bike was 600+# heavier and the speed was more than 30 mph. So more of an observation about contact patches between dirt and street tread. The dirt tread (although softer compound) was like riding on snot when pavement got wet/damp.

1.jpg

RoadRash03.jpg

2.jpg

I'd have disliked the learning experience more if the bike was 600+# heavier and the speed was more than 30 mph. So more of an observation about contact patches between dirt and street tread. The dirt tread (although softer compound) was like riding on snot when pavement got wet/damp.
That is sort of why I was asking about the various possibilities.  Scott (Canadian FJR) said that the very knobby TKC80s actually behaved quite well for a "dirt" tire under a variety of conditions.  (I have no experience with this type of tire or riding dirt bikes.) The ones I am thinking about are somewhat less gnarly and I am paying close attention to rider reviews.  I have no intention of running twisty roads at high speeds under adverse conditions.  The TKC70 look like a decent compromise except for some of the front tire reviews I have read mentioning wobble (needs more research).  Continental makes a third contender ContiTrailAttack 3.  Looking much more like a street tire but still called a on-road/off-road tire. 90% on, 10% off according to their website.  I would interpret that as a tire perhaps suited to decent gravel or packed dirt but maybe not anything rough or unstable.

https://www.continental-tires.com/motorcycle/tires/motorcycle-tires/off-road-enduro/contitrailattack3

conti-trail-attack-3-front-tire-120-70zr17-58w-02445370000.jpg

This may never happen, or at least not this season.  Even though my province (New Brunswick) and the potential destination (Newfoundland and Labrador) have done exceptionally well with respect to numbers of COVID-19 infections (374 cases between them), travel restrictions are still in place and likely to remain so for some time.  The other parts of the equation for this trip are Nova Scotia and Quebec which have not enjoyed the mitigation success that NB has (so far).  NS is doing a little better now but PQ has a long way to go.

If I can't ride, I can at least plan and think about it.

Edit:  I have been reading a 77 Page! thread on Advrider about the Continental TKC70.  Lots of negative comments on the fronts but some say OK if you keep the pressures up.  Others have used a TKC70 rear with a TKC80 front.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/new-continental-tkc-70.998092/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWng5pEtgkg  

This is THE coolest ride on an FJR I've ever seen!!!      (starts getting crazy @ about 3mins)      (looks like street tires too)
I dumped my bike just watching this. 

Wonder what tires were on this bike. Guy must have the arms of a Silverback. Felt better that he at least wiped out one time. 

I think even with a full fledged lightweight dirt bike it be a hairy ride for me.

Much respect. Was happy to see him rinse the mud off before putting the bike away.

To the OP. I was told that if you want to ride off road, buy an off road bike. If you want to ride on the street, buy a street bike. Trying to do both on either is always a compromise.  

But yes, you can have both:

86-A1966-D-A067-481-E-8685-4-BFCA81-FFD9-E.jpg

To the OP. I was told that if you want to ride off road, buy an off road bike. If you want to ride on the street, buy a street bike. Trying to do both on either is always a compromise.
I am not planning to ride off-road - at least not much.  This is more for decent gravel roads, forest roads, and packed dirt roads.  Despite that amazing video, the FJR will never be a dirt bike or even a true "Adventure" bike; at least not with me riding it.  The bike is too fragile and has a suspension that is not designed for it.  Just looking to expand my riding horizons a bit. 

I think I will eventually end out with some sort of a bike better suited to the task.  Something like a Wee-Strom is sufficient for a long highway ride to get to where I might like to do some rougher road riding.  Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports or the Yamaha Super Tenere might be nice but more than the budget will handle right now.  Again, I don't plan to do anything really difficult or especially challenging.

I have been running Avon street tires for a very long time - over 100,000 kms on both FJRs and really do like them.  That’s the reason I was wanting to give the Trail Riders a try.  I think they would be a good early spring, late fall tire when the roads are still cold, wet and dirty.

Canadian FJR

Hey Ross. The TKC I ran about 3000 km on the FJR. THEN  I put it on my WR250. 2000km on the WR and to me it looks no different than the day I installed it. The tire has not let me down.

On Anther note @Knifemaker how's this ?

IMG_2823_zpsxiamm88s.jpg

Hey Ross. The TKC I ran about 3000 km on the FJR. THEN  I put it on my WR250. 2000km on the WR and to me it looks no different than the day I installed it. The tire has not let me down.
Well, I want to do the TransLab and some of the Trailway in Newfoundland.  If I manage it this year, it will likely be with alternate tires on the FJR. 

Looking at a dual sport which really is the best tool for the job.  Might not happen until next year unless dealers are hungry after no spring sales.  

Of course,  this also depends upon whether interprovincial travel restrictions are lifted before fall.

I know you guys did the TKC 80s with good success- just looking at possible alternatives.  Better mileage would be good in case I want to do an Alaska trip (not this year).  Might be better to run regular street tires to get there and then swap out for DS tires before the Haul Road etc. 

Maximum width for some of the dual sport tires is 170 but I think that would be OK for the FJR.

I am not planning to ride off-road - at least not much.  This is more for decent gravel roads, forest roads, and packed dirt roads.  Despite that amazing video, the FJR will never be a dirt bike or even a true "Adventure" bike; at least not with me riding it.  The bike is too fragile and has a suspension that is not designed for it.  Just looking to expand my riding horizons a bit. 

I think I will eventually end out with some sort of a bike better suited to the task.  Something like a Wee-Strom is sufficient for a long highway ride to get to where I might like to do some rougher road riding.  Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports or the Yamaha Super Tenere might be nice but more than the budget will handle right now.  Again, I don't plan to do anything really difficult or especially challenging.
From what I've found the FJR does extremely well with its regular street tires on hard packed and lightly graveled dirt roads.  I've ridden thousands of miles of the dirt roads in western North Carolina state and national parks without changing anything.  Now that you've specified what kind of riding you're looking at I won't change anything to ride more. 

Don't overthink it without first trying it.