EOM 2016 Location Discussion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Girlfriend Salma has a Hacienda in Veracruz on the beach, if mi Señorita lets us use her Villa for the EOM Banquet: How about EOM in Mexico!

768.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it is on the East Coast but the riding on paved roads doesn't look all that good after a quick glance at Google Maps.

Btw, Salma is now a Señora.

I didn't care so much for Cumberland either. I didn't think the riding there was as good as any of the other venues. We ended up (on several occasions) either on the side of a hill with dirt roads or at the end of a dirt road in someone's dead-end driveway.

Lewisburg has got my vote. Why look for a new place, when we know this one works well. Plus, there are still so many roads I have yet to try in that area.

First, allow me to personally apologize to you all for stumbling across dirt roads at Cumberland Falls. In those days I had no idea that so many people riding FJRs turned away from dirt. And also in those days, Garmin would do most anything to put you back on an interstate, including but not limited to routing you across a mountaintop peak via water crossing pig paths. (still my personal favorites)

Cumberland Falls is a great stopover, especially for two-up. It's positioned geographically to work extremely well as the western-most part of a 4-7 day touring route. But as a base-camp destination it definitely lacks twist-appeal. The same can be said for most of Kentucky. They have awesome state park facilities, along with loads of coal trucks that spread their daily vengeance, with a better than average fall rainfall added for lubricant.

Johnson City TN has good hotel choices, but good roads all require a 45-60 minute initial ride out through city traffic in various directions. And JC also sits in a topographic bowl that either holds rain for days, or expels rain to the perimeter in all directions.

It's a complete and total shame that we've lost the hotel in Boone. Base-camp riding doesn't get much better than Boone. And I'm still a bit sentimental about the lost character of FJR events since the early days of ownership when nobody knew each other or knew that much about the bike. The thirst for knowledge lured together inquiring minds, then rewarded them with hours of new ideas and new friendships to explore.

Lewisburg WV is a good place because of all the FJR roads leading into the area, not because of the FJR roads IN the area. Dual-sport roads on the other hand are mega-abundant and awesome! I hate to see EOM repeated so many times at the same place, no matter what the decision logic.

Personally, I'm not so quick to vote, but much more inclined to research and think a while. Hotel situations change often. The explorer in me really wants to see new places.

Perhaps the changing hotel landscape slightly to the south of JC, around Erwin has evolved? And if they ever finish that damn Burnsville bypass, aka 19-E, who knows what's possible!

Whytheville looks to be as much an epicenter as Boone. The Ramada Inn propaganda ticks all the wickets and there is certainly no shortage of good roads. If anything there is too many good choices. Clinch Mountain roads kick @ss.

For you VA phobes, anything off the interstate there is a LOT less crowded than the areas that generate the speeding ticket horror stories. Ever take a close look at the speed limit on US 421, the Snake in nearby TN?

Just throwing this out - what about Arkansas? A ton of great roads there. BBB 2016 is September 21-24 so would have to be a different weekend than that.

@spklbuk

I'm usually too busy to look at speed limit signs. Ignorance is bliss and all that. :)

Maybe Lee will weigh in on routes for Wytheville and others? Would be good info for decision making.

But we have to wait for his retiredness to stop riding every day!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="FreakyFastFreddie" data-cid="1263505" data-time="1444230269"><p>

Just throwing this out - what about Arkansas? A ton of great roads there. BBB 2016 is September 21-24 so would have to be a different weekend than that. </p></blockquote>

Arkansas alternately hosts both Southern and Western

Owners Meets. Since this is Eastern that generally means

east of the Mississippi River.

And since SE Ohio has the Ramble in spring and NE has

the NERDS, that leaves the mid-Atlantic for EOM.

Typically VA, WV, NC or GA.

And that usually means somewhere along the path

of the BRP. Plenty of "hubs" to choose from.

Within the bounds of 58 / 19 / I-77 there is a ton of great riding. I've barely been to the area on the other side of 77 but where I have gone was more scenic with some curves than hard-core crooked. Wytheville is a fantastic spot for doing something new.

I also like the idea of repeating Johnson City, and I've repeated it often by myself since EOM '09. As a home base it puts pretty much every "Must Ride" mountain road on the east coast within range. The bit of Meh riding getting in / out of town is totally worth it.

I'm sure I'll end up in Lewisburg at least twice between now and the next EOM since my wife now knows that we can get there in a day without pushing hard or doing much highway... so my vote is anywhere besides there.

@spklbukI'm usually too busy to look at speed limit signs. Ignorance is bliss and all that.
smile.png

Maybe Lee will weigh in on routes for Wytheville and others? Would be good info for decision making.

But we have to wait for his retiredness to stop riding every day!
While I applaud your efforts to get Lee in this conversation, who are you kidding? If you could not list way more that a dozen good roads out of Whytheville off the top of your head then you can take me to lunch in Little Switzerland.

So how about ya Lee?

Having food joints within walking distance should be put into the mix. Lewisburg provided this nicely, plus, a gas station w beer across the street was nice also.

JS'

Lot's of good points and discussion here. The one goal at this point is to have a location and venue selected and reserved before the end of December. Many members have to submit vacation requests for the year by then. We cannot nail down a date until we have a location.

The one add in consideration on my plate when reviewing the suggestions is what type of dual sport activity the location will support. That's my personal agenda though...

Iris and gravel roads...that makes me smile...

I think Wythesville, VA can meet the requirements. So can many other places... Right now, the majority says go back to WV. I'm not opposed to that, but I'm also interested in new adventures...

Wayne

Having food joints within walking distance should be put into the mix. Lewisburg provided this nicely, plus, a gas station w beer across the street was nice also.
JS'
Huh? Didn't you vote for Cumberland Falls!?

But yep, the layout at L'burg is hard to beat.

I voted for Lewisburg. You can't beat the physical plant with restaurants, gas, shopping, great roads etc.

Johnson City TN has good hotel choices, but good roads all require a 45-60 minute initial ride out through city traffic in various directions. And JC also sits in a topographic bowl that either holds rain for days, or expels rain to the perimeter in all directions.
It's a complete and total shame that we've lost the hotel in Boone...

I hate to see EOM repeated so many times at the same place, no matter what the decision logic.

Personally, I'm not so quick to vote, but much more inclined to research and think a while. Hotel situations change often. The explorer in me really wants to see new places.

Perhaps the changing hotel landscape slightly to the south of JC, around Erwin has evolved? And if they ever finish that damn Burnsville bypass, aka 19-E, who knows what's possible!
All of the above are reasons why I suggested the Days Inn in Jefferson, NC. There's a restaurant on-site, a Mexican Grill within walking distance, a grocery store, fuel nearby... and the venue has catering/banquet facilities along with a huge off-street parking lot for socializing. It's only minutes away from Cherokee Natl Forest and even closer to the BRP.

Can't advise regarding the off-road stuff as I tend to avoid that...

JS'
Huh? Didn't you vote for Cumberland Falls!?

But yep, the layout at L'burg is hard to beat.
Correct, I did change to that only b/c it would of been new [to me], plus, that in-house dining over looking the falls was pretty amazing.

Lewisburg (return) was my original vote. Guess the debate continues....

It's a complete and total shame that we've lost the hotel in Boone...

I hate to see EOM repeated so many times at the same place, no matter what the decision logic.

All of the above are reasons why I suggested the Days Inn in Jefferson, NC. There's a restaurant on-site, a Mexican Grill within walking distance, a grocery store, fuel nearby... and the venue has catering/banquet facilities along with a huge off-street parking lot for socializing. It's only minutes away from Cherokee Natl Forest and even closer to the BRP.

Can't advise regarding the off-road stuff as I tend to avoid that...
Lisa- Sounds good^^ and these great choices are making me waffle my vote all over the place! lol.

Just throwing this out - what about Arkansas? A ton of great roads there. BBB 2016 is September 21-24 so would have to be a different weekend than that.
Are ye fecking kidding me Maun, that State is packed full of Goobers ese! JSNS, Hillbilly Heaven eh!

100_0213.jpg

I've been to Eureka Springs, Arkansas twice and felt the 2nd trip to the Ozarks was not worth the extra time to get there that I could have spent riding in the Appalachians. West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky are my favorite places to ride. If I'm going to go West of The Mississippi I'm going all the way to the Rockies and beyond.

I've been to Eureka Springs, Arkansas twice and felt the 2nd trip to the Ozarks was not worth the extra time to get there that I could have spent riding in the Appalachians. West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Kentucky are my favorite places to ride. If I'm going to go West of The Mississippi I'm going all the way to the Rockies and beyond.
Fine...don't have an EOM there, but I can almost guarantee a fun filled weekend for you if you hit the Hooterville event. The only reason I can't guarantee that it will be fun is I don't know if yer a grump or not.

I have never walked away from a Hooterville event and wished I didn't make the effort to get there.