Most Desireable FJR Instrument Cluster

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1) I really don't see how one dash is any more or less attractive than the others. You guys concerned with "style" sure seem to be in touch with your feminine sides, that's all I can say...
kiss.gif

2) I do wish it had an ambient temp display specifically for when riding on days near freezing but wet, but from what I've heard you can't really believe the one on the 2nd gen anyway.

3)Now, here's a great functional looking dash:

1012850_600.jpg
1.Style is always important. Don't be afraid to embrace your feminine side. Don't expect me to embrace it for you, that is just nasty.

2.The only time Dad's Gen2 temp is incorrect is when the bike has been parked. The temp rises inside the bodywork without airflow to carry away the heat. Dad's FJR ambient readout is always 2 degrees F cooler than the one on my ST. He loves to point out the temp reading on the signs in front of the small town banks when we are riding. They always agree with the FJR.

3. You call that functional? And you accuse us of being too in touch with our feminine sides. OOOHH, look at the pretty horsie in the steering wheel! He's dancing in the pretty yellow circle! How cuuuute! (I know, jealousy does not look good on me.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I didn't get to read this until Saturday, but I'm guessing admin is too busy watching the videos over and over to delete them! As far as the real topic, the Gen 1 dash blinkers remind me of the large color buttons from the simon game. Maybe they need them that big because the motor presses the eyeballs back on takeoff? I vote the Gen3 dash.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the one big thing that I especially didn't like on my Gen 1 dash... incandescent back lights. And a ridiculously complicated excursion to extricate them when they inevitably burned out. But now they have been replaced with LEDs so I should never have to do that wonderful job again.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the one big thing that I especially didn't like on my Gen 1 dash... incandescent back lights. And a ridiculously complicated excursion to extricate them when they inevitably burned out. But now they have been replaced with LEDs so I should never have to do that wonderful job again.
Yeah, 3/4 of mine are burnt out and I gotta replace them this winter.
banghead.gif

Gen I nice. Gen II nicer. Gen III very nice.

Here i was thinking I wanted a new Norton for another bike beside my FJR and here comes the Gen 3. Rat Farts! Now Im confused.

GP

[quote name=GPRIDER" post="1022245" time="1355033129"]Gen I nice. Gen II nicer. Gen III very nice. Here i was thinking I wanted a new Norton for another bike beside my FJR and here comes the Gen 3. Rat Farts! Now Im confused. GP

I know the feeling GP, except I'll wait for the GenIII AE to get here. Once you've used the Finger..... There's no turning back!
laugh.png

This is too opinion based. It's like asking which one of Hugh Heffner's girlfriends is the most attractive. I think the Gen2 dash is beautiful to look upon. The color and style of the gauges, the color of the backlight, all add up to a really attractive layout. The problem is the #'s on the speedo are so small and there are so many of them that it is almost useless. It is especially aggravating for those who wear glasses. Gen1 is easier to read the basics than the Gen2, but it is starting to look a little dated. Looks to me like the Gen3 is the best so far.
You nailed it.

The numbers on the gen II are way too small to read even if you do not wear glasses.

For some reason the lens on the Gen II is a glare magnet.

The Gen III takes 1st place.

I know the feeling GP, except I'll wait for the GenIII AE to get here. Once you've used the Finger..... There's no turning back!
laugh.png
Wait...what? My goodness, here we are discussing who has the best looking instruments, then it turned to whose instruments worked best, and now this? Majicmaker, you have my respect. You have a talent for turning a phrase.
smile.png

Yamaha carefully designed these based on owners' age group:

Gen II: Smaller, but very legible numbers for younger riders with sharp vision.

Gen I: Larger numbers for crusty old bastards losing vision, huge turn-signal lamps help those with failing memory.

Gen III: Compromise--huge digital numbers for the REALLY old retired guys with money laying around; video-game cues for brand new riders who learned to ride playing XBox.

1) I really don't see how one dash is any more or less attractive than the others. You guys concerned with "style" sure seem to be in touch with your feminine sides, that's all I can say...
kiss.gif

2) I do wish it had an ambient temp display specifically for when riding on days near freezing but wet, but from what I've heard you can't really believe the one on the 2nd gen anyway.

3)Now, here's a great functional looking dash:

1012850_600.jpg
1.Style is always important. Don't be afraid to embrace your feminine side. Don't expect me to embrace it for you, that is just nasty.

2.The only time Dad's Gen2 temp is incorrect is when the bike has been parked. The temp rises inside the bodywork without airflow to carry away the heat. Dad's FJR ambient readout is always 2 degrees F cooler than the one on my ST. He loves to point out the temp reading on the signs in front of the small town banks when we are riding. They always agree with the FJR.

3. You call that functional? And you accuse us of being too in touch with our feminine sides. OOOHH, look at the pretty horsie in the steering wheel! He's dancing in the pretty yellow circle! How cuuuute! (I know, jealousy does not look good on me.)
I agree my temp & MPG readout are real close on my 2007. I tend to like the newer' techie" look of the instrument panels too. It's fun to buy something new and get a whole new look. I admit though i'm not nostalgic.

Yeah, this gets filed under "who the fuck cares?" In my book. I don't pick a bike by the "dash". This likely being the very last thing I care about.

My collection of performance awards would also underline how often I look down at the gauges.

Perhaps we should ask what color you like the most while you're at it.

:)

I am afflicted with MBD (multiple bike disorder) and find the large digital speedo on my Yamaha SuperTenere much easier to see at a glance with the added bonus of being able to switch it from mph to km/h when I cross the border.

So I'm thrilled that that they've gone to a digital speedo on gen 3 and I voted with my $$. A Gen III is on the way. :)

Yamaha carefully designed these based on owners' age group:

Gen I: Larger numbers for crusty old bastards losing vision, huge turn-signal lamps help those with failing memory.
Exactly. Sounds about pefect for me (and 99% of the other FJR owners). So what's your point here?

;)

Yeah, this gets filed under "who the fuck cares?" In my book. I don't pick a bike by the "dash". This likely being the very last thing I care about.

smile.png
Don't go doing that or with all these feminine types around we'll end up with pink and baby blue as next year's color options.

flirt.gif

... with the added bonus of being able to switch it from mph to km/h when I cross the border.
My lowly first gen does that... Sheesh!!
rolleyes.gif

grin.gif

What should a dash be if not functional?

I really don't see how one dash is any more or less attractive than the others. You guys concerned with "style" sure seem to be in touch with your feminine sides, that's all I can say...
kiss.gif

<snip>
Now, here's a great functional looking dash:
1012850_600.jpg
Even Ferrari believes style can go along with function. Here is the 2012 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta - instrument cluster.

ferrari-f12-berlinetta-instrument-cluster.jpg

And here is the 2013 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta - instrument cluster.

2013-ferrari-f12berlinetta-instrument-cluster-photo-445520-s-1280x782.jpg

Personally I prefer the 2012 version. But Ferrari instrument clusters are
offtopic.gif

Yeah, I know moist ass was off topic but how can you complain about moist ass?
smiley.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I know those Eye-stalions are all about the "style". That was why I intentionally selected a dash from an old 308 as my example. It's beauty lay in it's total dedication to functionality.

And, FWIW, it's the moist ass cheese that folks tend to complain about around here. Moist ass could be good or bad. It all depends (see what I did there?) on whose ass we are talking about. ;)

Looks like the Gen III is saying, "See you next time." It should add, "and it had better be soon, if you know what's good for you!!!"

My collection of performance awards would also underline how often I look down at the gauges.

smile.png
Each to his own. The dash styling and layout is part of the package. To some looks are not important, to others looks are the most important part. I believe that form should follow function. I also believe that with anything that brings pleasure and excitement, looks are a factor. Whether it is a motorcycle, a boat, a vehicle, or a wife, looks are a factor. If it is going to be unattractive it better have a great personality, like a BMW GS or Yamaha Super Tenere.