Question on seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we could use some form of the above to rate different seats? "Butt miles" is really a kind of joke, but it does seem appropriate ;)
Its all a matter of your personal tolerance (plus your weight, physical condition and whether you suffer from back/hip/circulatory problems etc.). Some people are in real pain after a relatively short period of time on the stock seat. I doubt there is anyone who finds that the stock seat is less painful than the Russell. That said, I don't hate it. Last summer I did a cross-continent trip on a stock seat which included five consecutive 700 mile days. No question that I would have been more comfortable on another seat but as far as I am concerned, the FJR OEM seat isn't as bad as some. It wasn't painless but I was OK within an hour of getting off the bike and was totally ready to go the next day. Shifting around on the seat helps a bit and standing up on the pegs for 10 seconds every now and again is also good. I get off the bike for 5-10 minutes every hour and a half or so; more if I am fatigued or over-heated. I am finding that my tolerance seems to drop in inverse proportion to my age but so far (at 56) I can still stand it.

I haven't replaced the original seat yet and I don't know whether I will. Perhaps this winter if I find a bunch of extra cash burning a hole in my pocket. (can't see that happening!)

Ross

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two basic approaches to motorcycle seats, and this is related to your not liking the looks of the Russell. Some motorcycle seats like the stock and Sargent seat are saddles that you sit astride. The other type, like the Russell is a cup you sit in. Yup, the Russell wings are pretty ugly, and they interfere with hanging off in corners. The Butt Cup shape is an integral part of what makes the Russell a Day Long seat. I did keep a second more conventional seat set for shorter or more sporting rides.

First, the Sargent seat is most definitly NOT a seat you sit astride, is nothing like the stock seat and is absolutely a 'cup' type seat. It isn't as oversized as a Russell, looks much better on the bike and is very comfortable for me. But don't put it in the same category as a stocker, the two couldn't be any more different.

For the OP, I bought the Sargent before I even picked up the bike, and have been very satisfied with it. It isn't very soft, but the shape works very well. The quality is superb and it looks great.

First, the Sargent seat is most definitly NOT a seat you sit astride, is nothing like the stock seat and is absolutely a 'cup' type seat. It isn't as oversized as a Russell, looks much better on the bike and is very comfortable for me. But don't put it in the same category as a stocker, the two couldn't be any more different.
I beg to differ.

Unless you have the very tiniest of butts, you do not sit "in" a Sargent like you do a Russell or Mayer seat. Not even close. Although it is slightly wider than stock, a Sargent most definitely does not support the back of your thighs and all the way across your butt the way a Russell does.

Compare these Sargents:

2nd Gen FJR Sargent seat on the left, 1st gen FJR Sargent on right

ws_560_18a.JPG
wsyamfjr1.JPG

to this:

First Gen FJR Russell seat

100_0381.jpg

Is that ugly? I dunno. Looks are pretty subjective. I think the Russell looks fine on my FJR. When I look at it I see comfortable miles.

FWIW I do have a Sargent Worldsport seat on my VFR and it IS better than the stock VFR seat (or the stock FJR seat for that matter). But it is nowhere near as supportive and comfortable as a custom made seat.

I bought the bike w/the stock seat, used, in Chicago, then rode it home to Kansas, ~750 miles. In my mind, the stock seat just about killed me. Started being painful @150 miles and just got worse as the miles passed. At home, riding around town it was never comfortable, just a place to sit. Jumped on a Rick Mayer group buy, and was fairly happy. Loved the look, great around town, and much better on longer rides. Started having some discomfort in the 7-800 mile range, but manageable. Became more of an issue with multiple 1000 mile days, and after 4 or 5 in a weeks time it got less fun. Still, I put ~40,000 miles on it, and if I didn't like to ride longer stuff, I'd still have it. Always had Russell envy & got one during the group buy a couple of years ago. Much better on rides over a hundred or so miles. Taller, so I bought a taller windshield to keep the airflow similar to before, and I need to slide forward at stops, but those are simple adjustments for me. 20,000 miles later & I'm still happy w/it, and would recommend it for anyone who rides like I do. But I know people happy w/all types, and people unhappy w/all types, so I'd find people that ride like you do, & see what they sit on :) . If they have the same generation bike as you, perhaps swap seats for a bit. Or, like most of us, throw money at seats till you get it right for you :) .

I bought the bike w/the stock seat, used, in Chicago, then rode it home to Kansas, ~750 miles. In my mind, the stock seat just about killed me. Started being painful @150 miles and just got worse as the miles passed. At home, riding around town it was never comfortable, just a place to sit. Jumped on a Rick Mayer group buy, and was fairly happy. Loved the look, great around town, and much better on longer rides. Started having some discomfort in the 7-800 mile range, but manageable. Became more of an issue with multiple 1000 mile days, and after 4 or 5 in a weeks time it got less fun. Still, I put ~40,000 miles on it, and if I didn't like to ride longer stuff, I'd still have it. Always had Russell envy & got one during the group buy a couple of years ago. Much better on rides over a hundred or so miles. Taller, so I bought a taller windshield to keep the airflow similar to before, and I need to slide forward at stops, but those are simple adjustments for me. 20,000 miles later & I'm still happy w/it, and would recommend it for anyone who rides like I do. But I know people happy w/all types, and people unhappy w/all types, so I'd find people that ride like you do, & see what they sit on :) . If they have the same generation bike as you, perhaps swap seats for a bit. Or, like most of us, throw money at seats till you get it right for you :) .
I'm in Wichita and I've been struggling with whether to buy a Sargent or wait for the fall Russell group buy. I'd love to meet you sometime when your out and about and take a look at your Russell. I've never seen one other than in photographs.

One tip if getting a custom seat: AVOID piping and other trim accents. Those are places that will become pressure points when spending any time in the saddle. You want the seams to be as unobtrusive as possible. Just like the seams on jeans make pressure points and, by extension, make jeans a poor choice for riding pants.