Road-holding Weight

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:cray: Oh man!!! Ya hurt me Howie! cut me to the bone...

:haha: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :good:

I'm goin' to bed..

:jester:

WOW Dad , look! It's DPF!!! Sorry I'm late.

I thought I missed soemthing today whilst I was gone. I saw some comments deep in this from another thread then went back to the begining to see what set this off. It was just good OM. Nuff said. Back to the fun....

BTW I need to get some more weight!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you do.

BTW, I'm selling 50 lb. road holding weights for your pegs for . . .

wait . . . . did I also mention that they are emblazoned with licensed "Harley Davidson"[SIZE=8pt]TM[/SIZE] logos . . .

for only . . . $75/pound.

:)

Yes, you do.

BTW, I'm selling 50 lb. road holding weights for your pegs for . . .

wait . . . . did I also mention that they are emblazoned with licensed "Harley Davidson"[SIZE=8pt]TM[/SIZE] logos . . .

for only . . . $75/pound.

:)
Those weights won't work on an FJR. They only help on the superior steel-tube frames that allow for torsional flex. The FJR's frame/engine system is much too rigid for the weights to help in cornering stability.

I wonder if one could achieve the same results by lowering the tire pressure but that would increase tire contact patch/sidewall flex and would not increase the weight at the tire/pavement juncture. Anyone willing to experiment and report? :unsure:

Those weights won't work on an FJR. They only help on the superior steel-tube frames that allow for torsional flex.
.. and after marketing gets a hold of it.. its now "Adaptive Frame Technology"

"We didn't invent it, but we did perfect it, our new Adaptive Frame Technology actually allows our bikes to 'bend' around road irregularities for superior tracking on uneven road surfaces!"

This whole thread explains the common choices of "substantial Machine" girlfriends I've noticed the HD crowd seems to prefer.... :finger:

The whole "weight helps cornering" thing would certainly be useful to Rossi and Stoner - why if they were just riding 1 ton bikes instead of those wimpy 300 pounders just imagine how much more they could lean in the curves..... :yahoo:

Ok...Speaking of weight, I gotta tell you guys about a crash my brother just handled (he's a cop too).

They get a call of a MC that went off the road. When he shows up, a guy and a girl (very big girl according to my brother) rode a Ducati off the road, through some bushes and into a ditch. The bike had only a small scratch on the pipe and some very slight rash on one of the grips. There was less than $500 worth of damage and neither rider was hurt, so a report was optional. The rider said he was fine and didn't need a report. My brother told him to be careful and the guy and girl (did I mention she was large?) go on their way.

Fifteen minutes later, they get a call of a MC that hit a guard-rail. My brother shows up, and it is the same guy and large girl on the Ducati. This time the Duc is totalled but both riders are apparently ok. It seems that the large girl on the back of the bike blew out the single shock set up on the Duc during the first crash, or maybe even before, which may have been what caused them to crash in the first place. After the first crash, the genius gets on the bike with his girl, and they take off. The bike feels "funny" so he guns it to see if he can diagnose the problem on the fly. Well, he diagnosed it right into the offending guard-rail. Turns out that riding without a rear shock and grossly overloaded causes a MC to get squirrley in turns. There was also evidence that the rear tire was rubbing on the compressed fender or some other hard part.

Now boy genius is left without a MC, which probably just made the rest of us a little safer. Moral of the story is: If you are gonna add weight, make sure it is unsprung weight, so as not to over-tax the suspension system. Then your bike should handle like a dream.

Old Michael that is some funny stuff, what I'm learning Fridays are all about on this forum. Then I got to thinking about how the best humor is always based on the truth and I just got to wondering......????

Ok...Speaking of weight, I gotta tell you guys about a crash my brother just handled (he's a cop too).
They get a call of a MC that went off the road. When he shows up, a guy and a girl (very big girl according to my brother) rode a Ducati off the road, through some bushes and into a ditch. Apparently she saw a doughnut shop and leaned toward it. My brother told him to be careful and the guy and girl (did I mention she was a big fatty fat fat?) go on their way.

Fifteen minutes later, they get a call of a MC that hit a guard-rail. My brother shows up, and it is the same large girl on the Ducati. It seems that the large girl on the back of the bike ate the rider as they pulled into the doughnut shop, :eek: or maybe even before, which may have been what caused them to crash in the first place. After the first crash, the genius gets on the bike with his girl, and for some reason he sprinkled powdered sugar on himself? The girlfriend starts to nibble on him so he guns it to see if he can shake her loose on the fly. Well, she wasn't letting go of sugar man so they both flew right into the offending guard-rail. Turns out that she was a hitch-hiker that had a thing for eating motorcyclists. The emt's were able to extract the rider from her mouth.

Now boy genius is left without a MC, which probably just made the rest of us a little safer. Moral of the story is: If you are gonna add weight, make sure it is unsprung weight, or at least very well fed so as not to over-tax the suspension system. Then your bike should handle like a dream.

I'm sorry I don't usually ever drink, but tonite I'm dusting off my liver. If you could hear how loud I was laughing while I was writing this you'd have caught it like a bad cold. One of those contagious laughs that you just can't help but to laugh to. I didn't mean to piss anyone off or offend.

They get a call of a MC that went off the road. When he shows up, a guy and a girl (very big girl according to my brother) rode a Ducati off the road, through some bushes and into a ditch. Apparently she saw a doughnut shop and leaned toward it. My brother told him to be careful and the guy and girl (did I mention she was a big fatty fat fat?) go on their way.

Fifteen minutes later, they get a call of a MC that hit a guard-rail. My brother shows up, and it is the same large girl on the Ducati. It seems that the large girl on the back of the bike ate the rider as they pulled into the doughnut shop, :eek: or maybe even before, which may have been what caused them to crash in the first place. After the first crash, the genius gets on the bike with his girl, and for some reason he sprinkled powdered sugar on himself? The girlfriend starts to nibble on him so he guns it to see if he can shake her loose on the fly. Well, she wasn't letting go of sugar man so they both flew right into the offending guard-rail. Turns out that she was a hitch-hiker that had a thing for eating motorcyclists. The emt's were able to extract the rider from her mouth.

Now boy genius is left without a MC, which probably just made the rest of us a little safer. Moral of the story is: If you are gonna add weight, make sure it is unsprung weight, or at least very well fed so as not to over-tax the suspension system. Then your bike should handle like a dream.

I'm sorry I don't usually ever drink, but tonite I'm dusting off my liver. If you could hear how loud I was laughing while I was writing this you'd have caught it like a bad cold. One of those contagious laughs that you just can't help but to laugh to. I didn't mean to piss anyone off or offend.
Something is frigging wrong with you. :blink: I haven't figured out what yet, but definately something. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was browsing at a bike dealership this morning- the local H-D guys- and the salesman who approached me, offered me some advice on impoving a bike's handling.
He explained that it's all about friction, and the more downward pressure on you can exert on your tires, the better.

"...Especially when cornering, lighter bikes tend to slide and get squirrely on corners, because there's not enough weight to hold the tire firmly down on the asphalt. That's why a fellow needs a substantial machine if he's planning on doing high-speed runs, especially through corners."

He really made a lot of sense, (he was from Michigan), so I took some notes.

He suggested I carry something heavy in my saddlebags, like jugs of water, and always make sure my tank is full.

So, I'm wondering would it be even better yet, if I always rode with heavily loaded tankbag as well?

And also, would lead be best, or is there something more dense?

Thanks in advance for any advice. You guys are always very helpful.

OK, old posts...

BUT...I think I met his twin brother in Las Vegas..... I was on a trip, went into the HD shop to get the oil changed.

Looked at the bill.... and there's a $4.95 charge for a new oil plug!

The oil drain plug has a magnet to catch metal whatevas... not that uncommon. (At least in Harleys and cars)

Asked the guy at the shop counter why the new plug when I specifically said just change the engine oil. NOTHING ELSE!

He seriously told me that they change the plug every oil change "because the magnet in the plug loses magnetism"

I did say a few impolite words. Loudly.

Mary

BUT...I think I met his twin brother in Las Vegas..... I was on a trip, went into the HD shop to get the oil changed.Looked at the bill.... and there's a $4.95 charge for a new oil plug!

The oil drain plug has a magnet to catch metal whatevas... not that uncommon. (At least in Harleys and cars)

Asked the guy at the shop counter why the new plug when I specifically said just change the engine oil. NOTHING ELSE!

He seriously told me that they change the plug every oil change "because the magnet in the plug loses magnetism"

Mary
Well, $4.95 is pretty inexpensive for a new drain plug. I bet the chrome peels right off that thing the first time you polish it.

OK, old posts...BUT...I think I met his twin brother in Las Vegas..... I was on a trip, went into the HD shop to get the oil changed.

Looked at the bill.... and there's a $4.95 charge for a new oil plug!

Mary
Magnets do lose magnetism (over time) -- and the can be re-magnetized....

OTOH, at least you got a new part -- your money actually got an intrinsic item (as opposed to anything they said they did....).

As an aside: I know a gal that's a, sometimes, IBA rider; and shes tells me that when her bike needs an oil-change she goes to Walmart and buys all the stuff (oil, filter, drain-pan, etc) and goes out to her bike in the parking-lot and begins to change oil. Usually, she says, a guy will come by and offer to finish the job (and even take away the old oil and drain-pan, empty bottles, etc). :)