• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Skyway's 2006 & 2007 FJR Delrin Slider Kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got mine today. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Thanks, Skyway. Excellent work.

I received mine today and got them installed on my '07 this evening. Does anyone know if they protect the side cowlings in the out position? I've got them out and it looks like it might be pretty close.
Thanks for the photo's!!

The slider does protrude beyond the edge of the fairing in the 'outboard' position. You can easily check it by laying a straight edge on the edge of the slider and point it toward the fairing. It is close as you mention, but you don't want the slider sticking out too far.

OK. I've confirmed with a straight edge that there is clearance on both sides. Great job and thanks again.

Any 06 blue riders get theirs yet. Photo's please!! :dribble: :dribble:

This your excellent craftmanship ????????????????????

2856628-mvc-058s1.jpg

OK... Fine! You've all convinced me that I should, no MUST, have some of these sliders for my 06!

Ian, the check is in the mail. Hope I'm not too late for the Delrin's.

I've looked over this and the original slider post, and am sure I saw some mounting instructions somewhere, but now can't find them. Hopefully you include mounting instructions. I understand that I'll need a 10mm allen that fits my torque wrench? True? Any idea of where to find such a thing? Home Depot doesn't have them. Auto places?

How hard do I need to torque these things? I"ve stripped too many bolts and am now very scared of my torque wrench. Please help!

Do I unbolt both sides at the same time, or may I unbolt one side and install the slider and then do the other side. Any chance that the motor will drop out of alignment (or my bike!)? God... :blink: Are there any other torque wrench pansies out there that have successfully installed these? Any suggestions?

Tell me it's all going to be OK!

Thanks,

Steve

OK... Fine! You've all convinced me that I should, no MUST, have some of these sliders for my 06!

I've looked over this and the original slider post, and am sure I saw some mounting instructions somewhere, but now can't find them. Hopefully you include mounting instructions. I understand that I'll need a 10mm allen that fits my torque wrench? True? Any idea of where to find such a thing? Home Depot doesn't have them. Auto places?

How hard do I need to torque these things? I"ve stripped too many bolts and am now very scared of my torque wrench. Please help!

Do I unbolt both sides at the same time, or may I unbolt one side and install the slider and then do the other side. Any chance that the motor will drop out of alignment (or my bike!)? God... :blink: Are there any other torque wrench pansies out there that have successfully installed these? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve
This slider kit is in stock and ready to ship. The kit comes with easy to follow instructions with torque figures, but based on your comments I suggest you have someone spend 5 minutes and install them for you.

Thanks,

Steve
This slider kit is in stock and ready to ship. The kit comes with easy to follow instructions with torque figures, but based on your comments I suggest you have someone spend 5 minutes and install them for you.
Steve - fear not - I'm not the fastest tool in the shed - but Ian sends the kit out with very easy to follow instructions (with clear diagrams and everything). If you do it yourself, don't overtighten the buggers - follow the recommended torque specs (which is way lighter than I expected).

good luck - ride safe - and 6 cold beers for a friend who can do the job right sounds like a good deal for him and a good investment for you.

I understand that I'll need a 10mm allen that fits my torque wrench? True? Any idea of where to find such a thing? Home Depot doesn't have them. Auto places?

Steve
Lowes has a great metric set 5-10mm to fit your 3/8 socket on your torque wrench for $19.99.

I did not see them at Home Depot either.

SkywayDelrinBlue-1.jpg

SkywayDelrinBlue-2.jpg

SkywayDelrinBlue-3.jpg

SkywayDelrinBlue-4.jpg

SkywayDelrinBlue-5.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't better, but it's dark (and pretty damn cold) outside.

I like the sliders a lot.

But I'll be brutally honest and say the bolts supplied are not on par with the quality of the other parts (or the factory bolts that they replace). Of course I realize they aren't visible, but it still bothers me a bit.

-Uwe-

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that I'll need a 10mm allen that fits my torque wrench? True?
Nope. You only need the 10mm allen wrench to remove the stock bolts. And it would be pretty pointless to remove bolts using a torque wrench. So a typical L-shaped allen wrench will do.

You do need a 19mm socket to install the new bolts supplied with the sliders. This should go on a torque wrench.

I think I'll use some blue Loctite too.

-Uwe-

Tom Heverly - Please contact me at your earliest convenience. I've sent email, but no response.

Got mine today and installed them in like 10 minutes. Per instructions I tightened the left side first. Left side been a clutch lever side. Torque to 29 lbs per instructions. Then did a right side. What worried me is left side torque wrench stared clicking and I stopped. On the right side it felt like it was turning much further then I think it should have. I lowered the setting to 24 and it clicked then. Is it normal?

Thank you.

Got mine today and installed them in like 10 minutes. Per instructions I tightened the left side first. Left side been a clutch lever side. Torque to 29 lbs per instructions. Then did a right side. What worried me is left side torque wrench stared clicking and I stopped. On the right side it felt like it was turning much further then I think it should have. I lowered the setting to 24 and it clicked then. Is it normal?
Thank you.
You should be able to torque both sides to the torque spec's. Check to make sure that nothing is under the bolt or in the bolt hole and then re-torque to factory spec's.

Also, if I read my 06 service manual right, it says to torque those bolts to 35 lbs. 07 should be the same. Worth checking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand that I'll need a 10mm allen that fits my torque wrench? True?
Nope. You only need the 10mm allen wrench to remove the stock bolts. And it would be pretty pointless to remove bolts using a torque wrench. So a typical L-shaped allen wrench will do.

You do need a 19mm socket to install the new bolts supplied with the sliders. This should go on a torque wrench.

I think I'll use some blue Loctite too.

-Uwe-

Ah... Ian sends out normal bolt, I get it now. I assumed that because the bike came with allen bolts that he would send the same thing. This makes more sense. I already have the sockets. Cool.

However, if the original bolt is on at 35 or 40 ft. lbs., how can I get the original bolt off with just a shorty allen wrench? Do you have to stick a pipe on it or something? Might it break?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts