SW-FOG 2012 - Official Announcement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From AZ Beemers Member Bruce Wellens - AZ Cowboy:

Some of you AZ Beemers know I live in Colorado Springs in the Summer and Cave Creek in the Winter.  Up here I am a member of Pikes Peak BMW riders...about 160 members.  Dave Oliver stayed a couple of nights with us about a week ago when he attended the Rally at Copper Mt.  Some of you may wish to spend the night with us on the way to MO or the way back.  We have a couple of bedrooms and a couple of acres of yard space for camping.

By now you have probably seen some national coverage of the fire in Colorado Springs.  Those of us who live in AZ or CO are no strangers to forest fires.  But to see a fire driven by 65 mph winds race through a city and subdivisions is a sight I will never forget.  There were ""secure fire lines in place, four C130 airl tankers, numerous helicopters, and hundreds of fire fighters  working the fire. We thought the fire was bad but the city would be protected.

During the 4:00 PM televised briefing, a Thunderstorm hit Douglas county to the north.  The outflows came south and blew the flames at 60 miles per hour to the south toward the city.  !000 city fire personnel and 100 truck units from Colorado Springs and surrounding cities were in place to guard the many $500,000 houses.  All they could do was flee for their lives with the flames advancing at a mile per minute and jumping ahead by 1/4 to 1/2 per mile at a time.  They had no chance to stop the fire and were lucky to escape with their lives.  The city utilities had shut off the gas lines and electricity to prevent explosions and gas fires.  Fortunately that section of the city had been previously evacuated (32,000 persons).  Even so, the traffic jams were terrific as citizens grabbed last minute papers and fled in front of the fire.  I 25 was closed five miles north of the city.  I believe that if the wind had not died down the fire would have swept the entire west side of the city.  To watch this live on TV was unbelieveable.

The winds finlly did subside and the firemen and equipment we able to establish a defensive front.  In some areas  whole blocks of houses were burned to the ground and the houses across the street were spared with bushes and trees intact.  During the night and the next morning the scene looked like the news reels from WWII in London after the bombing...burning buildings and smoking piles of wood with firemen pouring on water to stop the flames.

Today the weather was better and fire fighter were able to establish new perimeters around the fire.  They continue to work on spot fires...but some areas are so rugged that only helicopters can be used.  It is too dangerous to introduce personnel to these areas...they would have no excape.  As long as the wind does not spike to 65 mph again they should hold the fire line and let the interior burn itself out.  There are 1200 firefighters in the forest and another 1000 in the city.  Numerous trucks and personnel are here from other cities in Colorado and surrounding states.  Some are parked at the local fire station houses to provide normal protection for the city.  Others are on the fire line.  Some folks are being allowed back to their houses this evening.

It would be hard to overstate the scene of devastation that exists.  Amazingly, no one was killed and no one was hurt.  Everyone obeyed the evacuations and were not trapped.  The firemen behaved in a reasonable manner to protect property and save their own lives.  It is a miracle that no one was injured...especially when you view the scene the following day.

All of that said, 99% of Colorado is intouched and beautiful.  When you come to Paonia you will not see any of this.  Stop in on the way to MO if you need a place to crash overnight.

Shit...I hadn't been paying attention until this thread came up. Colorado Springs is getting hammered. We've been too long with high heat and no rain.

Yeah, 346 homes confirmed destroyed...that number will rise once smoke and water damage are assessed. I was still coming back from NAFO on Tuesday, the worst/scariest day...but the pictures I've seen are horrific.

The "good" news is that my suggested routes are still out of harms way...Deckers comes the closest, and if you were planning to also go up Pikes Peak, as of today, that is out of the question. US-24 is still closed between Woodland Park and Colorado Springs. That could obviously change in the next few weeks. I also know that some businesses in Woodland Park have closed temporarily. No customers, and can't easily get new stock.

I suggested the induce birth idea and that date would be th 21st of July, not good for me riding wise! :angry2: If the baby turns and they go with a natural birth, that would give me time to run up to Colorado and ride a little with you fine folks. Just wore my SW-FOG TOAS shirt for the first time. 3 people noticed the spelling of Toas, thought that was pretty funny. :p Maybe I'll see you there, maybe i go the Dal/FW area instead. :huh: Have fun and ride safe, I hope to see you in Colorado!

...Colorado and ride a little with you fine folks. Just wore my SW-FOG TOAS shirt for the first time. 3 people noticed the spelling of Toas, thought that was pretty funny. :p :huh: Have fun and ride safe, I hope to see you in Colorado!
Bud, we all sure do hope that you can make it! Just wait until you see how 'Zilla has spelt Salida, it rhymes with Vagina! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Waldo Fire in Colorado Springs:

552749_10151043408595189_1340028209_n.jpg

I am having to face the fact that at 77 years of age I do not recover as fast as I used too. I had a great ride to Canada and the NAFO, but there just isn't enough time for me to fully recover and attend SW-FOG this year. I know that if I try and am not recovered it wouldn't be safe for me or anyone riding near me.

So guys and gals have a good time and keep the rubber side down. Maybe I'll see you all somewhere along a road.

Bruce Waldron

aka Longrider

Waldo Fire in Colorado Springs:

552749_10151043408595189_1340028209_n.jpg
I remember riding from Albuquerque to Denver a yr ago June and thinking what a gorgeous area for a football stadium.

And now? What a grotesque contrast. Last nights news said they were getting a good handle on it now. Let's hope they can contain that monster.

Anybody thinking of running up to Pikes Peak? It's a nice ride up, but alot better coming down. You can't see alot going up except the road ahead, comming down you see everything! I recommend it. You'll cross the Royal Gorge on the way there if you go through Canyon City.
I read in a ride report recently that is costs $25 to cross that Royal Gorge Bridge, is this the case?

Anybody thinking of running up to Pikes Peak? It's a nice ride up, but alot better coming down. You can't see alot going up except the road ahead, comming down you see everything! I recommend it. You'll cross the Royal Gorge on the way there if you go through Canyon City.
I read in a ride report recently that is costs $25 to cross that Royal Gorge Bridge, is this the case?
Noooo, it's not that much...it's only $24! There is an overlook just outside the area boundry where you can get a great view for free

I am having to face the fact that at 77 years of age I do not recover as fast as I used too. I had a great ride to Canada and the NAFO, but there just isn't enough time for me to fully recover and attend SW-FOG this year. I know that if I try and am not recovered it wouldn't be safe for me or anyone riding near me.

So guys and gals have a good time and keep the rubber side down. Maybe I'll see you all somewhere along a road.

Bruce Waldron

aka Longrider
Sorry to hear that, but you've gotta do what you gotta do. There's always next year!

https://cograilway.com/ Do any of you want to ride Pikes Peak Cog Railway with Seth and Chuy on 7/20? We're going to take a 10:40am train up to the Summit! It's 2.25 hours and 110 miles from the Gateway Suites to the Railway Depot at Manitou Springs.

We'll depart from hotel lobby at 0745 hours on Friday. Return run to Salida we'll take a dead head route to Cripple Creek and Victor to check out those Historic Colorado Towns on Highway 67. Cog Railway fare is $35.00. Let us know the PM before, please.

https://cograilway.com/Pikes%20Peak%20train%20videos-B.htm Here are a half dozen videos of the train ride up and back.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://cograilway.com/ Do any of you want to ride Pikes Peak Cog Railway with Seth and Chuy on 7/20? We're going to take a 10:40am train up to the Summit! It's 2.25 hours and 110 miles from the Gateway Suites to the Railway Depot at Manitou Springs.

We'll depart from hotel lobby at 0745 hours on Friday. Return run to Salida we'll take a dead head route to Cripple Creek and Victor to check out those Historic Colorado Towns on Highway 67. Cog Railway fare is $35.00. Let us know the PM before, please.

https://cograilway.com/Pikes%20Peak%20train%20videos-B.htm Here are a half dozen videos of the train ride up and back.
And I thought trying to choose what routes to do before was difficult, and now you've gone and made it tougher Don. That sounds enjoyable. So what would the roads and views be like out and back from Pikes Peak?

And I thought trying to choose what routes to do before was difficult, and now you've gone and made it tougher Don. That sounds enjoyable. So what would the roads and views be like out and back from Pikes Peak?
TripperMike, I will have to defer to Scott - phroenips and Shaun - COSFJR for the road information. Not being a Colorado local, I will listen to their judgements. Seth and I arrive on Wednesday same as Scott and Shaun, I will lay out my maps and ask for their guidance. The route to Manitou Springs was the most direct per MapQuest, we will try to find out the best roads and views on our way back to the Gateway Suites in Salida. Thanks for joining We Stanley Boys! Anyone else interested in the Pikes Peak train???

Last edited by a moderator:

TripperMike, I will have to defer to Scott - phroenips and Shaun - COSFJR for the road information. Not being a Colorado local, I will listen to their judgements. Seth and I arrive on Wednesday same as Scott and Shaun, I will lay out my maps and ask for their guidance. The route to Manitou Springs was the most direct per MapQuest, we will try to find out the best roads and views on our way back to the Gateway Suites in Salida. Thanks for joining We Stanley Boys! Anyone else interested in the Pikes Peak train???
There's really not a *bad* way to get there from Salida. You can take US-50 east from Salida, and you'll get some twisties/sweepers through the canyon. You can either take it all the way past Cañon City and up CO-115 into Colorado Springs, then track back just a few miles into Manitou Springs. 115 borders Fort Carson (although seeing military exercises is still rare) and goes through some hilly terrain. It's still a nice ride.

You could also go via the route in one of the Gold Belt Tours I've described on the routes page of sw-fog.com, and come in via Woodland Park. For instance, on the Fossil Bed version, instead of turning left (west) at waypoint "E", turn right (east). (On the Cripple Creek version, head east at waypoint "F" instead).

To come back, if you want something different, head west on US-24, and keep going into Buena Vista (same route as described in either Gold Belt Tour). That'll give you the impressive views of Mt. Princeton :)

The countdown is now in the single digits!! 9 days to go!!!!

We had lost a few people taking us below 50 people, but we've gained a few more, and right now we're sitting at 53 :yahoo:

The past couple of months I was able to get out and ride a couple of the routes, taking updated pictures. I've finally got off my arse and updated them on the website too: https://www.sw-fog.com/routes.php

Check out updated pictures for both of the Gold Belt Tours (really the same pictures for the parts that overlap), and the Gardner section of the Great Sand Dunes loop. This was much prettier than I was expecting!

Did anybody sign up? Is it operating even with the fire?

Did anybody sign up? Is it operating even with the fire?
Not sure if they are operating, but they are still taking reservations. So I assume (I do that wayyy too much) that it is still accessible.

OK, I just called and the lady said that it was not a problem at all to get there from Salida.