Throttle spring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THANKS to all of you who blazed the trail, I just did the spring unwind thing on my 06 and it is good...very good. This forum makes me friggin happy :D :D :D
+1 on that - I finally did mine 2 weeks ago - WHY DID I WAIT? - if I had only known how easy and what a difference it made - so much useful info I have pulled off this board - so much useless drivel has me bustin' a gut :D

Hi,

First ride today after the throttle spring mod,so much easier and smoother,did the usual 300klms with no problems.The next mod is a set of Jel grips and heavier barend weights from Motovation.

Well, yesterday after reading the post about the spring removal I went home and did it, I can't beleive the difference it made. The on & off responce is so much smoother now. Great idea!!!! Thanks

Well, yesterday after reading the post about the spring removal I went home and did it, I can't beleive the difference it made. The on & off responce is so much smoother now. Great idea!!!! Thanks

I loosened the center spring and adjusted the throttle free-play. I am thrilled at the results...much easier to ride smoothly, and no more dying when starting out. Many thanks for all who have offered advice on this.

It really does make a difference!!! :D

+1 I could not have said it any better. If you are thinking about doing it, DO IT! I did the -1 revolution on the center, and its now perfect.

Had the tank propped up for a new set of plugs and a tbs on my '03, figured a good time to look into releasing the throttle spring tension-let the main spring unwind once (I believe it only went once) and didn't seem to have any tension to return the throttle to the "at rest" position-loosend up my Vista Cruise lock, all is good!

Took a short ride, all seems good to go!

Update: maybe just me? but sure seems to be able to get some nice smooth shifts with less spring tension on the throttle cable!!!!! I'm getting to like it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheesh now maybe I stop falling of the back of my AE. !! Oh yeh have to do the mod foist.

A big thanks to everyone here on the FJRForum!!!!!!! :clapping:

What a simple mod with better than expected results! The throttle return spring unwound so fast, I almost missed it! At first, I thought I had, but the result with the throttle was noticeable, not to mention taking a little slack out of the throttle cable.

So far, that was my only tiny complaint with the bike compaired to others (Kawasaki's, Honda's and BMW...even HD)

It was a little touchy and "burped" alot, I've developed bad habits over the years, adding that little BRAAAAAAAP on the throttle. I've really got to stop that, almost launched my ass across a parking lot while in gear and idling. :blink:

OMG...I pulled the tank up and performed this minor surgery and at that point I relized that the grey hose under the tank was not connected to the bike! I disconned the fuel hose with the black clip, and laid the tank back on itself, it was after the adjustment that I noticed the grey hose disconnected. Now, I'm talking about the end of the hose NOT connected to the underside of the tank.

SO...Where does that baby connect to? I tend to overreact so I'd love to hear it's a drain tube or something and that I just need to snake it back under the left (clutch side) fairing...HELP :dribble:

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG...I pulled the tank up and performed this minor surgery and at that point I relized that the grey hose under the tank was not connected to the bike! I disconned the fuel hose with the black clip, and laid the tank back on itself, it was after the adjustment that I noticed the grey hose disconnected. Now, I'm talking about the end of the hose NOT connected to the underside of the tank.
SO...Where does that baby connect to? I tend to overreact so I'd love to hear it's a drain tube or something and that I just need to snake it back under the left (clutch side) fairing...HELP :dribble:
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! That's it! Just snake it down the inside of the frame.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! That's it! Just snake it down the inside of the frame.
What a relief...she's all back together.

Thanks!

So do you really need to take the tank off completely and undo the T-bar to take off the heat insulation on the 06? Thanks.

I removed the tank and "t-bar", which made the removal of the heat shield so much easier. This also allowed me to keep from bending the heat shield too much and causing any damage. I move slow like I'm performing some kind of heart surgery....total mod time was about 30 minutes.

I unhooked the center return spring on my '06 today. It's a bugger to get at, :huh: very little room. Every time I pushed the spring off the tap and let go, it snapped right back to where it was before. :angry: I finally succeeded.
No kidding about the very little room to work. I found that pushing the spring end over to the edge with a small screwdriver until it "fell" off the side worked well. Got the one rev unwind and the throttle is now much lighter. I used to hate having to supply two hp worth of twist to get the engine to go - this is much nicer. With a Throttle Rocker it takes zero effort to hold and input and also find the transition when accelerating out of corners much better than before.