Wilbers Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do I not join this spring swap club? Do I lie about my weight & add 100 lb. or what?
Yes...how do we avoid the "shock spring replace" club?? :huh:

Tom
Yes thats the only thing holding me back.
Before calling Wilbers USA, first decide which option for remote/no remote preload.

Next call Klaus and give him your max weight you intend to ride with, yourself, passenger, luggage, the kitchen sink, everything. Then ask him to spec you a spring that matches your max weight to a rider sag height of 40mm.

Also request that a 40mm rider sag be acheived with zero preload added on the spring when you ride solo. The 40mm rider sag should be achieved with only initial preload that is set from the factory.

With the above information, you should be good to go, I think. :blink:

There is a danger of unduly worrying those thinking of buying now on the basis they are likely to have to send back for a new spring - mine is fine and I noticed a tremendous difference compared to the oem version

Paul

01 fjr

uk

Pending knowing the cost, I'm in. Just have a pretty strict budget to live in so . . . you know. Now if the ex would pony up the back child support I could do some pretty extreme farkling :erm: I'm not holding my breath on that though, sooooo

Also, do we have some idea of the time window here? I.E. before or after christmas?

Warchild, for all you do, thanks. :clap:

Jim

I know the FJR's are rated for 450#'s or so, But I have had me and a heffer on board and exceeded 600lbs. Will the new shock handle that??? :blink:

Its a custom built shock. If done correctly, I do believe they will put in whatever spring which will appropriate for the weights/riding style you give them.

Eh? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, I guess nobody can answe the weight ratings on the springs,Eh?
I stated my weight (with riding gear) and then weight (with gear) and stated I wanted it designed for "sweepers".

That may have been all well-and-good for when I was riding a Wing. But with the FJR, what I was thinking were "sweepers" was really "twisties". The shock handled the max load I defined (and did it very well) up until a trip where I got fairly agressive. I had the preload adjuster dialed up to near max for the load and there wasn't anything left for that technical stuff.

What I need is to dial down the preload for me and set it to dead center for me and loaded luggage. That then gives me more pre-load to dial in when the going gets tough. But that's my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Warchild -

Thanks for your feedback on the FJROWNERS forum.

please add me to the list for the Wilburs group buy!

BEEMR

Warchild-

I, also am interested in the Wibers shock . I almost got in the last time but it to close to christmas. This time I am perpared... or at least I think I am!

I'm on board this time as well. Is there any chance that fork springs can be included in the GB discount? I'd like to install both at once. I'm not a big fan of the stock suspenders at either end of the bike, although they're no worse than the shit you normally get with many stock Japanese bikes.

All,

First off, I'm not sure that I have to express interest here in order to get in on the buy later but, yes, I'm interested.

Second, I was down at one of the local Yammy dealers yesterday to get the balance checked on my front wheel after putting on the ABM rotors and they start telling me what hot stuff Penske shocks are in the FJR community. Now, I know Penske makes motorcycle shocks but I've never really heard of people using them on a FJR. So, my assessment of the aftermarket shock scene was basically: If you don't want to spend a fortune on an Ohin's, get the Wilbur's its almost as good for a lot less money.

Am I missing something here? Should I be evaluating the Penske shock as well? Is anyone using one?

Cheers,

Jim