• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WynPro, Ram-Bone Mount, I've got BALLS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First, do the bolts holding the Ram Bone and gas tank to that part of the bike need to be replaced with longer ones, or will the existing bolts work?
No, they do not have to be any longer, but... because you have a second gen bike, which is well known to come with tank hold down bolts made of soft cheese, I would recomend going to the local hardware purveyor and getting some bolts of the same size and pitch to replace them. They do not need to be any longer. You'll still get plenty of thread engagement with the RamBone in place, I would recomend finding some with a 10mm hex head rather than the allen head like the 2nd gen stockers to allow easy tightening without having stripped out heads in the future.

No locktite of any kind is required in my experience. You'll have those puppies on and off on a regular basis for under tank maintenence.
Thanks for the advice, Fred. I appreciate the gesture.

First, do the bolts holding the Ram Bone and gas tank to that part of the bike need to be replaced with longer ones, or will the existing bolts work?
No, they do not have to be any longer, but... because you have a second gen bike, which is well known to come with tank hold down bolts made of soft cheese, I would recomend going to the local hardware purveyor and getting some bolts of the same size and pitch to replace them. They do not need to be any longer. You'll still get plenty of thread engagement with the RamBone in place, I would recomend finding some with a 10mm hex head rather than the allen head like the 2nd gen stockers to allow easy tightening without having stripped out heads in the future.

No locktite of any kind is required in my experience. You'll have those puppies on and off on a regular basis for under tank maintenence.
Thanks for the advice, Fred. I appreciate the gesture.
Thanks for answering Allen and Fred,

This has been brought up a couple of times so I guess I can throw in some instructions on future shipments.

Dave

Or you guys can pony up the $20 for a full metric hex socket set :p Without that it's too akward/easy to scratch your tank.

Oh, and no need to tighten them things down too much - that's good advice from Fred that they are soft bolts AND the aluminum frame threads I've notice are prone to stripping.

Just installed my "Ram Bone" yesterday, perfect fit for my Zumo 550 with a "RAM Short Double Socket Arm for 1" Ball Bases". :)

Ordered my Ram-bone on Monday - was here on Saturday. Sooooper service Dave! Just unscrew the two tank bolts and screw this in. Perfect fit and the bracket is even countersunk. This is THE way to go!

Ordered my Ram-bone on Monday - was here on Saturday. Sooooper service Dave! Just unscrew the two tank bolts and screw this in. Perfect fit and the bracket is even countersunk. This is THE way to go!
Ordered mine up this morning, hoping I can get a miracle and have it by Thursday... pleeeeeze? :clapping:

Was on the verge of ordering the Ram handlebar clamp and it just looked cheesy, and not super secure for vibration and road impacts.

Dave, Thanks for the quick shipping. 60 second install. Great product!!!! :)

Glad to oblige...

Zumo 550 GPS mounted on a Ram-Bone using medium length RAM arm.

100_1096.jpg

Rider's view

100_1095.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.